Informal Review - Papers - Lots Of Different Papers Compared.

amberleadavis

More Vellum

2014-Ink_1467bp.jpg

2014-Ink_1467p.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Bo Bo Olson

• Tessy Moon

• TheRealScubaSteve

Neenah Laid

2014-Ink_1462bp.jpg

2014-Ink_1462p.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Mohawk VIA

Mohawk V/I/A

2014-Ink_1461bp.jpg

2014-Ink_1461p.jpg

Neenah Gray Fiber Royal Sundance

2014-Ink_1459bp.jpg

2014-Ink_1459p.jpg

MK Papier

@Bo Bo Olson

2014-Ink_1447bp.jpg

2014-Ink_1447p.jpg

Astroparche

2014-Ink_1448b.jpg

2014-Ink_1448bp.jpg

@Bo Bo Olson

MK Papier

2014-Ink_1446bp.jpg

2014-Ink_1446p.jpg

Amber, Thanks a ton for sharing samples and more. I very much helped me and this thread show the pics of ends of ream packs so I can get numbers and weight. So important in finding the right stuff.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Did you read the updated notes?

Amberlea, would you mind pinning that wonderful thread? It is extremely useful, for every type of inquiry such best paper for...

It also makes somebody like me, who comes from the finish the paper you bought before you buy more, school of purchase to investigate further.

Velum and art paper is especially interesting!

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I would love to pin it... but I'm not the moderator for this forum. I will however ask if it may be pinned.

Sugarmade Tree Free

Sugarcane and Bamboo Paper

2014-Ink_1774.jpg

Amberlea and Doug, thank you so very much for pinning the thread.

Apologies for the Mods mixup, I somehow forgot if I was in paper review or ink review.

Needless to say :wub: :bunny01: :happyberet:

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Expect to see some additions soon.

Did you read the updated notes?

Yes, I tested more papers and bought some and...agree V/I/A Mowhawk is hard to beat for notebook stock.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

So, what did you buy?

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1467p.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2014-Inklings/slides/2014-Ink_1467bp.jpg

I've actually been looking for some A4 vellum to punch with my Circa notebook and use as separators and references. Suggestions welcome! It's interesting that as I discover these FPN topics, they all bring me back to engineering school and working in my first design job. We used to use so much vellum, only with pencil and rapidograph. Wonderful as always Ms AmberLea :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Let me see if I have any left.

I am so pleased Amber really, really liked some of the papers I sent her.

Unfortunately, a couple of the papers she liked best, came from Aldi, a discounter supermarket. And they did not have any this year. I've not found the time to talk to Zebra paper about getting some, getting an address so others can order.

It is on my list to do.

MK can be ordered on line. No gramage marked is no weight...in grams.I don't know if it is 90g/22 pounds or not. One of their papers is marked 95g if I remember right. I believe one of the three MK papers also has a watermark, but my paper mess is not well organized. I got to toss a shelf of books....sigh.

It is the only paper Brunner makes that is worth buying. Do not buy Brunner, which is as big as Clairefontain. Even their 120 g marbled paper ended up in my laser printer.

MK was once in the '30's-50's one of the very best papers. It went bankrupt eventually, and Brunner bought it up. It's not terribly expensive....under €4. Postage is not high from Germany to the US. (The US postage is very very expensive.)

I had bought sample sheets from Gmund a top German company.....if you do the same, make sure you ask for their fountain pen friendly papers, in they make many Art papers. It is expensive....so I've still not made any decision, at €35/$50 for 60 to 100 sheets. Costs €0.85 a sample sheet after the first two free ones.

I had been going into heavy papers, 150-170g papers. (120g=32 pounds)

My assumption that the heavier the paper the better is not quite right.

The 170g paper was great with many inks.....then with other inks the 120 or the 110 g papers did a better job.

Paper seems to need an ink match, no matter what weight, or maker.

At much more normal costs......

Zander is another German paper company with so many papers including Bond paper. I have a sample book. I also still have some '70's Bond paper from them and new. The '70's paper is that tiny smidgin better.

Schoellerhammer sent me their Art papers. Got to ask for their fountain pen papers.

I really got to do something about that. :headsmack:

No more Inks, :angry: No More Pens :angry: ....got to buy some papers.....and a new house with some space. :)

That's a real nice paper stash you have Amber.

For you western fans, passenger trains did not have a caboose, only freight trains did. Amber has a caboose. :notworthy1: She might soon need a freight car too. :D

Sigh, the best paper I have is true no name.....something I'd bought in the late '70's in Germany when I was a Ball Point Barbarian. I had put away some good papers from then....as too good to put in a Juki Daisy wheel printer.

15 sheets of this pad was stuck in with the good paper. I have 8 sheets left. It is perfect clean line with all inks.

Back in the day, they did make better papers for fountain pen use.

As a BP user I'd not spend much money on a pad paper, so it was dirt cheap.

I should get my self hypnotized, :yikes: and find out who made it.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you, BoBo, that was very helpful.

Steve, I looked, I used the letter size or gave it away. I bought it at Paperworks.com and it was fairly inexpensive.

I never did include all the crazy papers that were not super friendly, but the ones that I thought would be good for notebooks.