What Ink Do You Use With Your Current Hobonichi (Or Any Other Kind) Planner Or Other Tr Paper?

Behike54

I am assuming this should go in this section rather than inky thoughts. That said, being new, I encourage and will not be offended at all if this gets moved to inky thoughts.

Okay, I just ordered my 2015 Hobonichi Planner and was wondering what ink and/or nib combos you find work best in any kind of accessory that uses TR paper? Is there an ink that you think works best? Is it wrong to assume F and/or EF nibs are the way to go given the size of the planner?

By all means, this is not meant ONLY for ppl using Hobonichi products. I am as interested in any combo that works well with any other A6-sized product.

Thanks!

Cheers ~ Jack

Edited by Behike54

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Newjelan

• yogalarva

• plc123

• mtnbiker62

For any small planner I prefer something that lends itself to small, clear writing. So, a fine nib with a clear line and an ink that doesn't feather. Fortunately Tomoe paper is wonderful at controlling line clarity, and to me nibs feel finer on it without feeling scratchy. I recently got a Nanami Seven Seas journal (http://www.nanamipaper.com/) and I've been using Pilot Fuyu-Syogun in it, in a fine nib that writes more like a medium. I think for the planner I will want a more saturated, sharply colored ink like a black or a medium blue, and I'll use a true F or EF nib.

I use a DaVinci ring binder planner in A6 size that uses Tomoe River refills. They are available on Japanese Rakuten stores and Amazon Japan. For the planner section, where I have 1 page per week refill put in, I use either Lamy Sarari M or F nib pen, and for the note section I tend to use M nib because I use DaVinci's 6.5mm ruled note refill, rather than their 5mm ruled refill. That's when I am out and about, as I only carry my Safari's in my handbag. When I am home I just use any of my vintage wet and broad nibs with any ink that I have those pens filled with, from any brand, and the TR paper takes it all wonderfully. Even BSB and Tanzanite, no problem of feathering or bleed through. There is show through on the back page as you know with TR paper, but the more you write on each page the less those show through will be noticeable, as all the writing will kind of blend with each other eventually.

But whatever size nib you use, if you are writing on Tomoe River paper the ink does take a little bit longer to dry, so I highly recommend using a blotting sheet in the planner. Just cut your larger size blotting sheet to A6 size and use it as a bookmark/blotter.

Edited by SNAK

I have a 2014 Hobonichi Planner and just got the 2015, paper is just wonderful. I too would suggest a fine or extra fine nib, as the planner is small. The grid and layout is very nice, but the without a fine pen, I find that notes overwhelm the page. In some ways, it just depends on how you are going to use it. If you want to use it for a fairly complete diary, you will need to write in fairly small script.

I have the A6 planner with a "Robin's Egg Blue" leather cover. I carry a blue Monteverde Arttista in the pen slot. I chose it p, because the pen colour matches the cover, the cap is screw on (so won't accidentally come off in my bag) and the nib is a relatively fine Medium. It also takes cartridges or a converter and I mainly fill it with Tsuki-yo. The ink can take a while to dry but I have a small sheet of blotting paper between the current pages.

Edited by Newjelan

I will be using a F Vanishing Point with my Hobo, probably with either Platinum Carbon Black or Maruzen Athena Sepia, if I manage to get my hands on a full bottle. I agree that having a smaller nib size and dark, clear ink is vital because the page would get too busy with lots of colorful writing. I figure I can always add more color with pictures if I have empty space. :-)

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

In my Seven Seas Writer, I mostly use a Sheaffer Sentinel with a fine nib. Ink is usually Diamine Ancient Copper. I also use a fine nibbed Parker 21 with J. Herbin Ocean Bleu. There's plenty of ghosting because the paper is so thin, but I find that I don't notice unless I'm looking for it.

-Drew

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o715/drew_dunn1/Clan-MacNeil-Buaidh-No-Bas-Victory-or-Death_zps051b46b5.jpg

I have a 2014 Hobonichi Planner and just got the 2015, paper is just wonderful. I too would suggest a fine or extra fine nib, as the planner is small. The grid and layout is very nice, but the without a fine pen, I find that notes overwhelm the page. In some ways, it just depends on how you are going to use it. If you want to use it for a fairly complete diary, you will need to write in fairly small script.

Does the 2015 start on January 1st or is it set up with some overlap (ie starting in November 2014 or something like that?) I want to order one, but I've hesitated, not knowing if I'll want to wait four months to use it.

It may be blasphemous to say so, but I haven't been using a fountain pen in mine this year. I'm using a Tactile Turn Mover pen with a .38 Pilot Juice blue-black refill. My Hobonichi gets thrown into a bag and generally treated pretty roughly, so I found the gel pen to be a better choice. I did use my Pilot Custom 74 with an EF nib and Iroshizuku Shin-kai for a while, though, and that worked really well also. I just got tired of cleaning the ink out of the cap! :)

Edited by mtnbiker62

Does the 2015 start on January 1st or is it set up with some overlap (ie starting in November 2014 or something like that?) I want to order one, but I've hesitated, not knowing if I'll want to wait four months to use it.

It has one column for the month December 2014. On that page spread is Dec 2014, Jan 2015, Feb 2015, Mar 2015 (in 4 columns).

There is a two-page spread for the month view of December.

There are 2 two-page spreads with four day columns for Dec 24-27 across two pages and Dec 28-31 across the next two pages. Then the next page starts January and 1 page per day.

hope this helps!

p-

I have been a Franklin planner user since 1986. Small lines so I mostly use a fine or ef. Sometimes a medium. For somethings(ck marks) nib is irrelevant, but I often want a brighter contrasting color for those.

Ink? Not to picky.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I am using 2014 Planner. Because of the thickness of the paper, less saturated inks are working well for me (less see-through). I use Montblanc Oyster Grey and Midnight Blue (new formula) with Montblanc fine and medium nibs. I also use Waterman BlueBlack. I write both Japanese and English. Japanese hand writing tends to be bigger but the paper works well for both characters.

My planner is a 3¾x5½ Paperblanks, and I always use an F or EF nib. Any ink in any F- or EF-nibbed pen can go into my planner, even BSB.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I ordered the Japanese version because it starts with the two-page-per-day format Dec 1, and I knew I would be too impatient to wait any longer to start. :-P

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

I use a Pilot 78 with a fine nib in my 2014 Hobonichi planner. Ink of choice is whatever strikes my fancy as the paper handles ink from a fine nib extremely well. I have a cover where the pen is the "lock" for the cover which is really nice as it is easy to remove the pen and use it for other writing tasks other than the planner. I am a big fan of the Hobonichi!

• 1 year later...

So pleased I found this thread...hope it's still monitored.

I was just about to hit the buy button for a 2016 Hobo when I found a fountain pen blogger who was less than enthused with the show through on the TR paper. He was using M and B nibs.

I use a Vanishing Point FP, various 78g F's, plus many others depending on rotation, but never anything fatter than a European fine. Inks... Diamine, Pelikan, Waterman, Pilot Iroshi, and Monteverde.

Should I worry about show through? (i write for a living and really have a thing about it - it makes me use only one side of a page).

Hope someone can help!

I might be old, but at least I got to see all the best Bands.

I would have thought that a fine nibbed pen would be a suitable pen, but you will never avoid ghosting (as opposed to bleed through). I dont think ink colour will make a huge difference unless the ink is incredibly light.

Like you I had a thing about ghosting but it really doesnt bother me on TR paper.

Well worth looking carefully at the various sources here and elsewhere (facebook, reddit etc) at how the TR paper performs before you buy. I dont think you will be disappointed. Maybe buy a sample from cult pens before you buy the hobo?

Edited by da vinci

I write in my Hobo Cousin with every ink I own - all brands, colours, behaviours - and in many different pens. Although there is certainly ghosting with some (but not all) I don't notice it and it certainly doesn't bother me. Tomoegawa paper is not as flimsy or transparent as people imagine and the pale grey grid print of the Hobonichi planners seems to further mitigate any show-through, if it occurs.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I write in my Hobo Cousin with every ink I own - all brands, colours, behaviours - and in many different pens. Although there is certainly ghosting with some (but not all) I don't notice it and it certainly doesn't bother me. Tomoegawa paper is not as flimsy or transparent as people imagine and the pale grey grid print of the Hobonichi planners seems to further mitigate any show-through, if it occurs.

+1

This one also desires to echo the words of esteemed member migo984. EoC has used various Diamine inks, one or two unusual samples from afar, Salix, Sumi, Walnut and Higgin's Eternal. These various inks have been applied with a variety of tools ranging from fine nibs in fountain pens, broad italics, and all the way up to super flexible needle-pointed dip pens. This one notes that there is definitely ghosting, but that for reasons which are not entirely clear, does not seem to affect enjoyment of working on the other side of the paper.