Budget Writing Paper & Other Paper Adventures

OldGreyBeard

As someone returning to using fountain pens I've noticed that letter writing paper has become harder to come by, even posh stuff. However, perseverance and all that. I thought I'd see what I could get in my local High Street, Leighton Buzzard. A typical small English market town. With a market on Tuesdays & Saturdays.

WH Smith Post Quarto plain white is pretty good with all my pens (Conway Stewart 27, Parker 25, Waterman Forum, all used with a variety of Quink inks). A 100 sheet pad cost £3.49 and include a piece of blotting paper and a line guide. There are envelopes to match but they didn't have those!

Wilkinsons (Wilkos) have an A5 pad at £1 for 100 sheets although with line guide or blotter. This also worked well.

A larger branch of WH Smith in Hertford also stocked Three Candlesticks in two sizes (A4 & A5) with envelopes!! Plus a variety of Basildon Bond also with envelopes. I treated myself to a pad & pack of envelopes of Three Candlesticks which is a paper I remember using years ago and is lovely to write on.

It was necessary to hunt round in WHSmith for the stuff but the Wilkos writing paper is easy to find. For non UK readers, Wilkinsons (popularly known as Wilkos) is a household goods store chain that provides good quality at good prices.

Since I had to wait 30 mins for a train at Euston (London) I had a browse in Paperchase and bought some rather nice looking own brand "Inscription" writing paper. I still have to test this. Has anyone tried it before?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scrivelry

• OldGreyBeard

• injesticate

I went and looked up Wilko's, and paged through all 16 pages of pens.

They have a Wilko's fountain pen. It is one pound. They seem to have two in the package, so really, one pen is fifty pence.

As if this is not enough of a bargain, they have a package of twelve ink carts for fifty pence!

For the high rollers, there is a Parker Vector at 5.75 pounds. I did not see Parker Carts or bottled ink, so perhaps if you're in the pen stratosphere they figure you can do for yourself on the niceties...

While there one can also take care of one's bingo dauber, Laundry Marker and Bic Crystal marking needs, all from the comfort of home - they will deliver it free to your local Wilko's.

The pens are no MB's, but I bet they write. Probably no worse than a lot of other things, you can refill them, no tears if junior loses it in school.

There must be some reason why I am supposed to hate this place. The prices are just too good to be true...

T

Wilkos are pretty good for household goods, are a good employer and pay their taxes, so no reason not to like them really. Certainly a good shop for those on tight budgets.

Wilkos are pretty good for household goods, are a good employer and pay their taxes, so no reason not to like them really. Certainly a good shop for those on tight budgets.

Really? That's marvelous! Lookee there, Walmart, you don't have to be a horse's rear end to survive!!! :bunny01: (I did not see a Bronx Cheer emoticon, so... dancing rabbit will have to do.)

I have to put them on my list. I hope to get over there in the springtime, and my idea of shopping in a strange city might be a little different from some tourists...