Twsbi 580 Al - Pendleton Brown Bls (M)

Elyptic

So, for my 100th post on this fine forum, I decided that I'd do something special and submit a quick review of my brand new Pendleton Brown TWSBI 580 with a medium point ground to his "Elegant Butter-line Stub".

I received this pen last Friday and I've had a hard time putting it down ever since!

Please excuse the poor handwriting. It's a work in progress.

post-110039-0-59348000-1410182483_thumb.jpg

Text, for those who cannot read my chicken scratch:

TWSBI 580AL

Pendleton Brown Butter-Line Stub (M)

Ink: J. Herbin Lie de The

Nib: Smooth, wet and some line variation possible. Given this is a medium nib to start with, I didn't expect too much. Overall, very nice nib work from a good nib-meister.

Pen: This is my first TWSBI so I wasn't sure what to expect. I love the piston fill and the large ink capacity. No issues with flow, hard starts or skipping. The section is a comfortable diameter for my larger hands and the size of the pen is very comfortable in my hand. Will make a very nice every day writer which is what I was looking for.

Overall: For my intended uses, this is a great pen, especially at the price point (<$100). It doesn't post well, but I knew that going into the purchase and I'm fine with that.

I'll try to get some better photos of the actual nib, but here's a preview!

post-110039-0-75234000-1410182482_thumb.jpg

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elyptic

• tinysnail

• dcrosier76

• jrobert6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks!

The photos I took really didn't turn out well. I'll have to give up on the iPhone and get out the dSLR. The nib work is beautiful and personally, unless I look closely under a loupe, I can't even tell it's been worked on (which I like). Looks like a stub that just came with the pen.

I'm still getting used to the ink capacity of this thing! Going from filling my pens ever couple days to writing all weekend and still having more than half a fill is going to take some getting used to in a good way!

Great pen. For the price point of the pen, I can't believe how solid it feels.

Wonderful! That ink capacity point is just wiiiild- I'm even considering going for the fine nib for something that I could use in school and never even have to have a back-up pen!

This is good to hear. There haven't been too many reviews of the 580AL!

I can't imagine how long a fill would last with a fine point! I would advise not getting the Pendleton Brown BLS with a fine. I'm sure he does a fantastic job with it, but the narrower the nib, the less point there is to a stub in my opinion. (Not to mention that I could probably get well over 25 pages of medium density notes out of a fill even with the medium nib.)

For me, the AL was preferable as I liked the look much better. The added benefit that I didn't really think about was the aluminum section feels really good when in hand -- it somewhat conforms to your body temperature and feels nice and solid. I much prefer it over the plastic sections on other pens I've owned / tried.

Overall, this is a great writer.

I just picked up a stub nib for mine, to send off to Pendleton (along with a Pelikan M600 M) to work his magic. The work he did on my Micarta nib, as well as on the PB SE F-C 19, is magnificent.

I own several pens with the Fantastic Pendleton BLS. a TWSBI 580 with a fine, Visconti Van Gogh in Broad and the PB SE F-C 19 in Medium.

Even though they only have steel nibs, I would not trade these pens for any pen with a out the of the box gold nib.

Can't wait to add this pen to my collection as well!

Thank you a TWSBI has been on my wishlist forquite sometime now. Fortunately I visit my Hometown BReda in the Netherlands in November... and La Couronne is only 19 Km away from there :)

Do not let your handwritng bother you...

Mine is spastic fantastic and a LOT of work in progress :D

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

I can't imagine how long a fill would last with a fine point! I would advise not getting the Pendleton Brown BLS with a fine. I'm sure he does a fantastic job with it, but the narrower the nib, the less point there is to a stub in my opinion. (Not to mention that I could probably get well over 25 pages of medium density notes out of a fill even with the medium nib.)

For me, the AL was preferable as I liked the look much better. The added benefit that I didn't really think about was the aluminum section feels really good when in hand -- it somewhat conforms to your body temperature and feels nice and solid. I much prefer it over the plastic sections on other pens I've owned / tried.

Overall, this is a great writer.

My favorite writer is my fine point BLS from PB, it is not wasted if one likes F-nibs. It gives plenty of character to your writing.

But i do get what your saying, and if maximum line variation one wants then the F is not advisable.

+1 on F-nibs from Pendleton. I'm even thinking of ordering an EF from him.

I received my 580AL F from him today and I love it. The pen feels really nice in hand and I do love demonstrators. I thought that the aluminium section would feel unpleasant but no.

PS. I even love Pendleton himself. Judging by his e-mails he seems to be a thoroughly nice man. :wub:

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

After a few days of using my Pendleton BLS 580, I'm still infatuated with the pen! The writing is smooth, consistent and the ink capacity is fabulous. I'm still surprised when I get home and I don't have to re-fill my pen! It's very nice.

So glad everyone else has had similar experiences!