Pilot Custom 823

lehrer07

This is my first FPN review. I hope it’s helpful and that you enjoy reading what I have to say!

Prior to purchasing this Pilot Custom 823 from Goulet Pens, I’ve bought a Pilot Custom Heritage 91 BB, Pilot Falcon SEF, as well as a Pilot Metropolitan M and a Pilot Kaküno F. At one point I owned a Pilot VP Binderized M, but sold it to a friend because I didn’t like the way it wrote.

14972661589_c46bfae782_z.jpg

- Appearance & Design (8/10) – This pen has a classic cigar-style design. I bought the Amber version. The finial and blind cap are both solid amber, accented by gold (plated?) furniture. The center bands on the screw cap are thin and thick respectively. The thicker band reads: *** PILOT MADE IN JAPAN *** CUSTOM 823. The tapered clip reads PILOT vertically and ends in a ball, complementing the classic look of the pen.

15136357376_5cf2971383_z.jpg

- Construction & Quality (10/10) – This is the first Japanese pen I have used that even holds a candle to the iconic and timeless design of the Lamy 2000, which remains in my opinion The Pen. Everything feels solid, from the threading on the cap and barrel, to the piston mechanism, to the clip and how it posts.

15158984612_1469c18740_z.jpg

- Weight & Dimensions (10/10) – The pen feels solid in the hand. I would not describe it as a lightweight pen. It is noticeably heavier in the hand than a Sailor 1911 Realo or a Platinum #3776. The clip is springy without being too firm or too flimsy. It easily fits (and stays put!) in a shirt or jacket pocket. Although on the heavier side, it clipped easily and firmly to the placket of my Gap polo today while at the grocery store.

The barrel and cap material is smooth and translucent. When I take notes while reading, I have the habit of sitting the cap upright on my desk. The Pilot Custom 823 cap is taller than that of the Lamy 2000, Sailor 1911 Realo, as well as the TWSBI 580 RB.

14972808958_18c07406bd_z.jpg

From left to right: Pilot Custom 823 Amber, Sailor 1911 Realo Black, Lamy 2000, Lamy Matte Black AL-Star, Lamy Matte Black Dialog3, Platinum #3776 Century Sai, Sailor Imperial Black Pro Gear.

The grip/section is a bit wider than that of a Lamy 2000 or a Platinum #3776. Out of the pens in my collection, it most closely resembles the width of the grip/section of the Sailor 1911 Realo. That is to say, it strikes a perfect balance between width and the overall weight of the pen.

15159387705_09c757413b_z.jpg

- Nib & Performance (8/10) – I chose a Fine nib, which is a monotone 14k #15 on the Pilot Custom 823. Prior to this, I had only used the #5 on the Custom Heritage 91 BB and the Pilot Falcon SEF. The nib is a good size and balances well with the overall unposted length and appearance of the barrel. It is slightly springy; exactly what you’d expect from a 14k Japanese fine nib. I write primarily in English and French/German (for teaching/translation work) and it is a perfect size to suit my somewhat casual cursive style. (See writing samples below).

15156411371_693878c836_z.jpg

It works well on Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Baron Fig, 24lb and 32lb copy paper, as well as on Tomoe River and Midori paper. It is hit or miss on Field Notes, it depends entirely upon the edition.

- Filling System & Maintenance (9/10) - This is my first vacuum-filler, although I have tried (and didn’t care for), the TWSBI Vac 700. The Pilot Custom 823 filling mechanism is outstanding. Pilot advises using 70 ml ink bottles, but I had no problem filling it from Lamy and De Atramentis bottles as well. It is extremely easy to use and requires no additional clean up or blotting that a C/C or piston-filler wouldn’t necessitate. Simply put, I love it.

Cleaning is a breeze, too. A half-dozen or so flushes and you’re ready to fill it again with whatever ink you have in mind.

14972809898_c707dceb12_z.jpg

View of the Pilot Custom 823 with the plunger in the “open” position for constant writing.

One unique element of this pen is that you have to turn the blind cap until about a 2 mm gap appears in order to write for long(er) periods of time. This is a function of the plunger mechanism that, when fully closed, prevents ink from entering the section, which is ideal for travel or perhaps shirt-pocket carry. In my experience, for writing small notes, signing things, or even writing about a page on A5 paper, you don't even have to do open it the 2 mm.

14972810497_e7585ce2bf_z.jpg

View of the Pilot Custom 823 with the blind cap opened 2 mm for constant writing.

- Cost & Value (10/10) – I bought mine for $288 plus shipping from Goulet Pens. I ordered it on a Tuesday and had it by Friday (shipped from VA via Priority Mail to Cleveland, OH). I prefer to buy from American vendors wherever possible for warranty and customer service reasons, so I didn’t do too much research into buying this pen from Japan. Given the filling mechanism, I wanted to be sure I could have repairs and service done easily in case something happens to it.

The pen comes in a large gift-style box along with a 70 ml bottle of Pilot Blue ink, so its presentation and unboxing could be described as luxury for sure.

- Conclusion (Final score, 9.2/10) - The pen is worth every penny I paid for it. I’ve used a Montblanc 146 and 149 and it feels just as significant and superb as both. It is a peer of the Lamy 2000 and I am as satisfied with this pen as I am with my Sailor 1911 Realo. It has a place in my daily carry next to my Lamy 2000 and Sailor 1911 Realo.

I try to find a few good inks to pair with a pen, and after trying several, including Iroshizuku Yama-guri, which I thought would be a slam-dunk, I settled on J. Herbin Lie de thé and Pilot Blue.

Thanks for reading and I hope you found this review helpful! Below are some writing samples on various types of paper. They were scanned at 600dpi for clarity. I hope they convey it well.

14985576517_29ab95330f_z.jpg

The top ink is De Atramentis Aubergine. The phrase is from the letters of the German-speaking Romanian poet Paul Celan.

14985567058_27fb979768_z.jpg

The top ink is De Atramentis Aubergine. The phrase is from the letters of the German-speaking Romanian poet Paul Celan. The middle ink is Lamy Blue and the bottom ink is Iroshizuku Ina-ho.

15172149215_410a8d849a_z.jpg

The top ink is De Atramentis Aubergine. The phrase is from the letters of the German-speaking Romanian poet Paul Celan. The middle ink is Lamy Blue and the bottom ink is Iroshizuku Ina-ho.

All photos were taken with my Canon T3i using the stock lens and edited for clarity and exposure using Adobe Lightroom 5.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• lehrer07

• Blue_Moon

• maverink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a nice review! I like your pictures too - good mix of text and photos.

I really like my 823 too - the only problem is that I sometimes forget to open the cap a smidge when I start writing. It sure holds a lot of ink and just watching it fill it a pleasure too.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

I've owned this pen for about two years. I love mine very much. The filling mechanism is gobs of fun, and I love writing with it. It's fun. This pen is what I wanted. If I could find a fault it would be that the pen doesn't handle my favorite ink well: bubbles collect at the top of the feed and don't rise into the ink chamber. Otherwise, I love the pen.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Great review. Great photos, as well! Thanks. I'm still leaning toward the translucent black one.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the awesome pics n review. i now have a better understanding what this pen is all about, as i have always wondered about it. my only concern is the weight and the filling mechanism. i have twsbi vac700 and don't care much for it either, for i find it way too large and heavy for my liking, too scratchy of a nib, and that i'm not crazy about the filling mechanism. it's my first and only vacuum-filer pen, and i find it a bit bothersome to deal with. i don't know how twsbi vac700 filling mechanism differ from this pilot custom823. i hope you can shade some light on this matter.

-rudy-

I really, really, really want this pen. It's probably the pen I lust after the most. The gold trim/amber colour kills it for me, though. My collection is comprised of black pens with rhodium trim and demos with rhodium trim, so it wouldn't fit. I'm waiting for the fabled day when Pilot releases this pen as a clear demo with rhodium trim. I think it would be highly successful for them.

Excellent review!

Edited by kpyeoman

I too have an amber 823 with a fine nib. It has supplanted all other pens and is now pretty much my one pen. Everything about it is just right for me.

Nice review and great photos.

I bought an 823C shortly after they were introduced, and have never regretted the purchase for a moment. It's also my personal favorite as a travel pen. It holds a ton of ink, and can handle pressurized aircraft as well as un-pressurized small aircraft. I keep it filled with Namiki/Pilot blue ink which is nearly bulletproof, so it's always ready to go. Now I just need a larger budget so I can be ready to go too...

I'm the same way - demos with rhodium trim. I did make an exception for this one though, and I don't regret it at all. Aside from my fancy Sheaffers, I probably use this pen the most out of any in my rotation.

A 823 in rhodium trim would be a must have...

:puddle:

Parca e mai frumos 823 cu corpul clear, fara culoarea de ambra. Mai lipseste sa ii adaugi flex si sa ii faci un regrind la needlepoint. Mi-a placut apoftegma din Celan :) aici nu-l cunoaste mai nimeni, nici opera, nici viata, ambele incredibile....

ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

nothing beats the 823 in its price n performance segment love my amber 823 M

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

I agree wholeheartedly with all the 823 adulation. A delight to use and always in my pen case for daily use. The amber is growing on me. No other Pilot beckons.

Thank you very much for the nice review! I also have an amber 823 with a broad nib.

Since I bought it almost five years ago it is always one of my favorite in my rotation.

Because of the simple construction and its large ink capacity the 823 is a real workhorse for me :-)

I really, really, really want this pen. It's probably the pen I lust after the most. The gold trim/amber colour kills it for me, though. My collection is comprised of black pens with rhodium trim and demos with rhodium trim, so it wouldn't fit.

Pilot also makes it in smoke, and a very dark smoke/gray at that. You might have to order from a dealer in Japan, but they're available. (I have an amber 823 F, from Goulet Pens, and a smoke 823 M, from Engeika.) They really are lovely writing pens.

Pilot also makes it in smoke, and a very dark smoke/gray at that. You might have to order from a dealer in Japan, but they're available. (I have an amber 823 F, from Goulet Pens, and a smoke 823 M, from Engeika.) They really are lovely writing pens.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, are you saying Pilot makes a smoke version of the 823 with rhodium trim????? I've seen the smoke with gold, which is cool, but it's the gold trim that is the deal breaker for me. If you have a source for this fabled rhodium smoke 823, I'd love to know it!!!

Seriously, I've contemplated buying the smoke version and sending it off to someone to have the trim rhodiumized (sp?), but then I realized that's pretty excessive...and stupid. That's why I'm hoping to see a rhodium version some day. The intro of the Falcon with rhodium trim gives me hope...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, are you saying Pilot makes a smoke version of the 823 with rhodium trim????? I've seen the smoke with gold, which is cool, but it's the gold trim that is the deal breaker for me. If you have a source for this fabled rhodium smoke 823, I'd love to know it!!!

Sorry if I was unclear; it's smoke/gold. Sorry about that.