kohlj2

I saw a Waterman's 12 1/2 BCHR on Ebay with what appears to be a Toledo overlay (I have no affilication to seller, see link below). I have never seen any Toledo overlay pen in person and was wondering if this is a genuine example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131289632586?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Item # 131289632586

Thanks,
Jesse

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kohlj2

• Procyon

• Vintagepens

I believe that one is legitimate. That one seems pretty worn, usually they are more colorful. I have one, also a Waterman. Here is a picture, along with another rare Waterman, a chased filigree.

http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/uploads/fpngallery/album_116/gallery_6983_116_133403.jpg

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

Thank you Procyon! I remember you posting an image of your Toledo overlay, what a beauty! Yes, the one on Ebay definitely has seen some use. Regardless, I was intrigued to see one for sale, as they are not available often. I'd love to find a Ripple with a Toledo overlay, but that dream will be a hard and expensive one to fulfill.

You sure don't see them often. I am bummed because I have a permanent search for "Toledo" on eBay, but it didn't find that one. I have no idea why. :huh:

David, thanks for your thoughts on this pen. The thick raised portion is what also made me suspicious. The pattern looks characteristic but not the thickness of the overlay... Hmmmm

You sure don't see them often. I am bummed because I have a permanent search for "Toledo" on eBay, but it didn't find that one. I have no idea why. :huh:

Procyon, do you have your search set for "Worldwide"? I found this by manually searching for "waterman fountain pen", "Worldwide" (instead of just the items listed on ebay.com).

Procyon, do you have your search set for "Worldwide"? I found this by manually searching for "waterman fountain pen", "Worldwide" (instead of just the items listed on ebay.com).

I was talking about the search within ebay. Is there a "Worldwide" setting there? or do you mean Google?

Hi Procyon, yes there is a "Worldwide" search setting on Ebay. If you open up www.ebay.com and conduct a search, it brings up only items listed on Ebay.com. International sellers can opt to list or cross-list their items on the US site (ebay.com), but auctions that are not listed on the US site do not appear in the default search.

To choose the "Worldwide" option, manually conduct a search on Ebay.com, then look at the column to the left of the list of items (with bold headings). Under the sub heading "Item Location", select "Worldwide". This will bring up all auctions matching your search on all Ebay sites.

You will notice an increase in the number of auction listings found when using the "Worldwide" search function. For example, I just did a domestic versus the "Worldwide" search for "waterman fountain pen". The domestic search yielded 2549 listings and the "Worldwide search yielded 2853 listings.

I have found a lot of interesting items by doing so!

Wow! I didn't know that! Thanks a bunch!

I will definitely try it.