Some Bayard Pens

fountainpagan

Hah, found it!

That`s pretty much all the info I`ve found (at the time I checked sites in English, French & Spanish)

Plus the Styloplume forum might be worth checking out.

in French:

http://bayard-sans-reproche.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20071012005121/www.stylos-francais.fr/bayard.php

in English:

http://www.fountainpen.it/Bayard/en

Bon nuit, mes amis :)

Edited by Polanova

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpagan

• Polanova

• betweenthelens

• amk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

betweenthelens:

You know that your posts on Bayard pens had a major influence on steering me towards those pens!

Maybe i should make a photo of one of my Bayards, lying on top of Mysterium Coniunctionis (did I get that right ?), sort of like a homage ;)

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/betweenthelens/2910581_zps76ebfa44.jpg

;)

Again, Polanova,

beautiful photos.

I guess you are luckier with the "bay" than I am, or you budget is bigger :lol: :lol:

I have a couple of Stylomines - is, hard to find!!

Meteor, even more, and very often in bad shape

I have a beautiful SWELL (yes, french, also)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/260372-swell/

Even more difficult to find!

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

I live in France so I am lucky enough sometimes to find a Bayard in the wild (like my 5 euro marbled red ebonite pen with a PF nib, but I don't count that as a Bayard since there's no barrel imprint, and I suspect the nib has been swapped). Also on French ebay, though Bayards are not so common and some of the prices sellers want are crazy.

Fountainbel, if you want to see a really crazy pen for filling system, the Edacoto Super 206 is for you. I have two and I still haven't worked out quite how they operate, or more importantly how I can get them working again!

(Just had a piece of luck - got an Edacoto with a horribly broken cap. Rejoice, rejoice, I found a spare cap I'd picked up for 20 cents at a village fete two years ago is exactly the right one, even down to the gold trim. I knew it would come in useful one day.)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

amk, me too, I live in France.

Only once have I found a Bayard in the wild. As it happens it was my first Bayard, Le 4 (2euro bargain).

So far that was it :lol:

As for the filling system, amk. No Francis is not looking for a crazy filling system. We know someone who ha a Bayard SUPER and he is restoring it, therefore he is trying to understand the fonctionning of it. That is why Francis was asking if one of us has the same model in order to have some photos and understand the filling system.

WomenWagePeace

I live in Germany, can shop on British, Dutch, Italian and Spanish Ebay if I wish.

Not French Ebay...appears to be divided into districts so I can't find anything. I don't know how to get in.

I was interested in that brand.

Very few to find on German Ebay. Should look more on Dutch Ebay I guess.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I live in Germany, can shop on British, Dutch, Italian and Spanish Ebay if I wish.

Not French Ebay...appears to be divided into districts so I can't find anything.

I was interested in that brand.

I don't understand what you mean by "french ebay divided into districts, and not being able to find anything!!!. :huh:

WomenWagePeace

Thank you all for the interest in a notoriously discriminated & much ignored FP brand ;)

While I`m at it, a couple more:

Wow Polanova, what a bunch of beauties, the celluloids are just stunning.

Congratulations, I never knew Bayard used such variations of exquisite celluloids !

Francis

It's @ five years since I looked. I could not navigate, in French Ebay then.

I can in the other countries....so never went back.

It's too late as is, in my pen buying is very, very seldom, and I'll not be starting a new collection area.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

fountainpagan:

When it comes to ebay, luck always plays a role!

I`d like to add that I bought those pens unrestored. You ARE able to restore a lever filler, are you?

If not, it`s well worth to learn it. It`s not difficult & often the only way to get a nice pen which you couldn`t afford otherwise.

You also might become a member of the Stylo Plume forum; I`ve seen that they occasionally sell vintage pens at reasonable prices

(I`d become a member myself but with my French or lack of it… :rolleyes: )

Btw, nice Swell Safety Pen you have there. A Safety is on my list for a long time now, but it`s difficult to find a restored one - most are incontinent & those which still hold their ink can`t be trusted.

betweenthelines:

In case you had the time & inclination you could make a nice group photo of your Bayard breed, as it`d be nice to have them all in one thread!

Wow Polanova, what a bunch of beauties, the celluloids are just stunning.

Congratulations, I never knew Bayard used such variations of exquisite celluloids !

Francis

Thanks Francis! I know I had a little treasure but now I appreciate them even more :)

I wonder why French period pens are so much more difficult to find than British or German pens???

As to French Celluloid pens:

Based on my experiences with Stylomines & my observations on ebay it seems that celluloid pens of most French brands have a tendency to be afflicted by shrinking & warping.

They must have done something seriously wrong then! I have not seen similar deformations elsewhere.

That would explain why so few of them pop up. They simply didn`t survive into our digital age!

Polanova,

yes, as you said on the ebay luck has a role. I haven't had that one yet, as to what the beautiful celluloide Bayard pens. But I will not despair.

I am a member of the stylo plume forum (only I have not the same alias). ;)

I agree with Polanova, betweethelens (how weird to call you by your alias :lol: ), show a group photos of your Bayards.

WomenWagePeace

If I understand celluloid production correctly, the material required time to "cure" properly. So the now aged Bayard celluloid may be reflecting a condition related to its composition and manufacture, (along with), rather that the typical issues we see from incorrect storage over a period of time.. heat, humidity, enclosed airtight with other plastics and metals.

Thank you for sharing your finds with Us. The beauty of celluloid displaced hard rubber, and continues to intrigue us even after the next generation synth polys became king.

Just by coincidence - was going over the Seine near Gaillon today, looked down from the bridge and there was a big barge called 'Bayard' just chugging downstream!

However, I only found a couple of Edacotos and a Gold Starry and a Ludographe - all rather nice celluloids but as Polanova says, what is it with the French? the two nicest ones have little dents and bubbles. Interestingly, the Gold Starry miniature has a 'snakeskin' celluloid that goes with my Stylochap (half way down the thread at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/263614-oldchap-french-brand-and-inkvue-style-celluloid/) I wonder what the relationship between the two companies was?

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t411/amk-fpn/penshaul.jpg

(Alternative explanation: why is it that the French, unlike civilised nations, are prone to leaving celluloid pens in the back of hot cars?)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

amk! and thanks for the link to the earlier shots too.

Though the celluloid is not pristine, we can see that it should be appreciated even so.

..inclined to note that the fun little French auto I once owned had no air conditioning so If a lost celluloid pen of any manufacture rolled under the seat it would not have fared well during its summer vacation; ) (Lamy ABS yes, but celluloid no).

• 4 weeks later...

betweenthelines:

In case you had the time & inclination you could make a nice group photo of your Bayard breed, as it`d be nice to have them all in one thread!

Absolutely. I have 18 as of yesterday. ;)

Just by coincidence - was going over the Seine near Gaillon today, looked down from the bridge and there was a big barge called 'Bayard' just chugging downstream!

However, I only found a couple of Edacotos and a Gold Starry and a Ludographe - all rather nice celluloids but as Polanova says, what is it with the French? the two nicest ones have little dents and bubbles. Interestingly, the Gold Starry miniature has a 'snakeskin' celluloid that goes with my Stylochap (half way down the thread at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/263614-oldchap-french-brand-and-inkvue-style-celluloid/) I wonder what the relationship between the two companies was?

(Alternative explanation: why is it that the French, unlike civilised nations, are prone to leaving celluloid pens in the back of hot cars?)

Beautiful French pens!

Absolutely. I have 18 as of yesterday. ;)

Beautiful French pens!

Now you have twice as many as me (fortunately this is not The Great Race)!

Do you rotate them all?

Do you find a great difference between the nibs?

PS: I`ve been using one of mine for a few weeks now & and really love that juicy semi-flexible smooth F-M line!

Edited by Polanova

Now you have twice as many as me (fortunately this is not The Great Race)!

Do you rotate them all?

Do you find a great difference between the nibs?

PS: I`ve been using one of mine for a few weeks now & and really love that juicy semi-flexible smooth F-M line!

I try to use them all although a couple need their pressure bars restored, which I intend to do soon. I don't use the safety as much as the others just because it's not convenient. The 18 carat nibs are all very flexible and of just impeccable quality.

Bayard made beautiful pens and those are indeed wonderful ;) :thumbup: It was one of the highest ranked brands alongwith Stylomine

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I try to use them all although a couple need their pressure bars restored, which I intend to do soon. I don't use the safety as much as the others just because it's not convenient. The 18 carat nibs are all very flexible and of just impeccable quality.

I`m looking for quite some time for a restored safety pen & hope that it eventually ends up being a Bayard!

Maybe amateur35 has one on offer at some point. Unfortunately he never describes the nibs very well & the photos are not that good.