Delta Dolcevita Oversize

rogerico

I must start this review confessing that I’m not a FP collector (even though I have already six FP).

And I also must confess that I don’t like flexible nibs. In fact, I’ve always looked for a FP just to write with. I don’t care about great variations. I don’t need a nib capable of great lines or good for an artistic handwriting (my handwriting is awful). I am only a writer, somebody who writes many hours with a FP. That’s why I’ve always searched one good fine or extrafine nib in a big FP for my hands, comfortable, of good quality and aesthetically pleasant to me. It is also important that this ideal FP have a good ink capacity.

Well, searching all this I’ve made my last acquisition: the Delta Dolcevita Oversize. And here I still must confess that I was afraid of what an italian FP could give to me, as I've seen a lot of reviews with problems about the performance, the quality control...

So I want to tell you my impressions about this beauty.

Appearance, design, construction, quality: 10/10

I do not mean that the Dolcevita Oversize is perfect (does the perfection exist?). I mean that my Dolcevita Oversize doesn’t show any fault: it’s solid, well constructed, elegant, with a classical and modern look at the same time. All details are very well integrated; there is not any scratch and it’s perfectly polished, as one can expect, obviously. And I must recognize that the color is awesome.

2. Weight & Dimensions: 10/10:

Here I would dare to speak of perfection, if what one searches is a big FP. I have big hands and I love big FP. So this is the one. It has the right size: really thick, with a very reasonable weitht, even full of ink. Uncaped, this FP seems short, compact, but caped it becomes a gorgeus big writing machine!

3. Nib & Performance: 9/10

Sincerely, I believe that I could not expect a better thing: the extrafine nib writes very well and, of course, very fine. The line is the thinest among all my FP. Like others extrafines nibs, sometimes it’s a little scratchy with some kind of papers. However, with Rhodia amb similars it’s a wonder: smooth, absolutely efficient, sober, with a perfect feeding. It’s a nib prepared to write hours and hours.

4. Filling System & Maintenance: 10/10

This is one of the main reasons for which I bought this FP: ink capacity. I’ve got several cartridge/converter FP (Parker Duofold, Graf von Faber Castell, Sailor KOP) and a Pelikan 1005M, with the classical and excellent piston. But I’ve been wainting for an eyedropper FP for a long time, and now I’ve got it.

The Dolcevita Oversize can be filled with an eyedropper, so the amount of ink that this pen can hold is huge. I’ve already filled all the body up without any problem.

On the other hand, the converter, very well constructed, screwed, works very well. But I will almost always use the eyedropper. Terrific!

5. Cost & Value: 9/10

Expensive, yes, but this FP offers me everything I look for: beauty, a right size, a big extrafine good writer nib and a huge ink capacity. And an extra bit of exclusivity...

Edited by rogerico

Roger

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerico

• Casper

• shuuemura

• foreignexport

Great review from a writer's point of view - thanks! Theen is really fat and can be used posted for a really got an of a pen! I used to have two of these beauties (gold trim) and sold them because there were too large for me. But I still the pen, esp. the one with that nice, juicy, smooth B nib! The eyedropper filler opportunity is great!

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Very nice photos! I have its cousin, the Stantuffo Grande Circo in Celluloid, a slightly smaller size (more the size of the MB149) but also with the Delta #8 nib. Congrats on the fine pen!

12944875214_bdbccedf2e_b.jpg

12944582413_3289568e38_b.jpg

Very nice photos! I have its cousin, the Stantuffo Grande Circo in Celluloid, a slightly smaller size (more the size of the MB149) but also with the Delta #8 nib. Congrats on the fine pen!

12944875214_bdbccedf2e_b.jpg

12944582413_3289568e38_b.jpg

A great pen! Is it a medium nib?

Roger

A great pen! Is it a medium nib?

It was a stubbish broad with some flex added by John Mottishaw, but I've since sold that nib. Now I have a fine nib on this pen.

• 6 months later...

hi

can anyone tell me the difference between the dolce vita oversize and the stantuffo?

thank you

hi

can anyone tell me the difference between the dolce vita oversize and the stantuffo?

thank you

The nib size are different. The oversize one has a #8 nib, and the stantuffo one has a #6 nib.

The filling system also different.

Edited by Casper

hi

thank you

See pics...

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x181/goutzchien/P_20150401_223848_HDR_zpsrsncetlu.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x181/goutzchien/P_20150401_223932_HDR_zpsramvf6mf.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x181/goutzchien/P_20150401_223942_HDR_zpsoho8zxhy.jpg

Can you do comparison pictures with your other pens?

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Can you do comparison pictures with your other pens?

Ok. I'll try to do it as soon as possible.

Roger

Roger

Ok. I'll try to do it as soon as possible.

Roger

Awesome, thanks! I'm particularly interested in a nib comparison with the KoP.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Casper

thank you for your help

Ive just ordered the delta oversize - looking forward to its arrival

Casper

thank you for your help

you are welcome.

Casper

thank you for your help

Well done! Yo won't regret it. Everyday I use it I find this FP more special. A fantastic writer. And don't be afraig of using it as an eyedrooper!

Roger

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

This review is a good example of differing tastes. The reviewer loves his Delta Oversized. I have the same pen in the mid size. I like it a lot, but it really does not compare to Pelikan. First off, the Dolce Vita is too broad. I can't imagine the oversize. I have fairly large hands. I easily palmed a basketball back in the day. My mildly arthritic hands alter my touch and preferences. But, regardless of size, the Delta does not have the tight tolerances of a Pelikan. Pelikan is engineered, and constructed without loose fittings. Everything is aligned, and solid; even the light ones. I have Pelikans from 1933 to brand new. They are all examples of quality construction. The Delta is fine, but not exquisitely constructed. There is a looseness not found in Pelikan. The nib is excellent. But, lack of control over the broad barrel and section prevents my full utilization of the excellent nib. I will keep using the Delta for is fine nib, with Delta black ink. But, I will relish every moment of my sweet Pelikans.

I think it is truly a matter of personal taste; The Delta DV Oro, Oversized was my first "nice" pen purchase & I have loved it since it's arrival. I had discovered some old Sheaffer Snorkles of my Parents & wanted something as different as possible. My first purchase was an Edison Collier & after appreciating it, I ordered this one. With it's big Stub nib, it was such a nice change from the fine nibs of my Parent's pens & the Sheaffer School pens I remembered from years past. It is always filled, but when I have cleaned & put it away, I found I miss it & soon refill.

The Pelikan M800 Brown Tortoise was purchased maybe a year later & has never appealed to me, in the same way the Delta has. I have been quite happy to purchase only one other Pelikan, a White Tortoise, M600 & never wanted more. I have purchased other Deltas, but more Italian pens in general; they just have a style that I appreciate & have all proven enjoyable to use, without any problems. I respect the history & success of the Pelikan Brand, but am just not willing to forego those Italians, they remind me of the sports cars, I never owned!