What Pen Has The Best Stub Nib You've Ever Used?

SomethingWicked

Erpe,

Why would you pickup a Edison Beaumont if you already have some good stub pens? Is the Edison a better writer?

because I love the Beaumont design and the stub is gradually developing into my everyday weapon of choice

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomethingWicked

• Wolverine1

• Bo Bo Olson

• benincanada

LOL! Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm a newbie, so I have no idea what "CS206", "CS27" or possibly a "P75" is. I will guess that the P75 is for Parker 75, but I didn't know that they were offered in a stub nib.

CS usually means Conway Stewart, a British pen maker that's been around since 1905. The 206 and 27 are just two of the many different models they have made over the years. Vintage pens were offered with a much wider variety of nibs then you typically find with a modern maker (not always true, but in general), so you see some interesting nibs on older pens.

LOL! Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm a newbie, so I have no idea what "CS206", "CS27" or possibly a "P75" is. I will guess that the P75 is for Parker 75, but I didn't know that they were offered in a stub nib.

Sorry, should have spelt it out in full. When you see CS in front of a pen name or number, it is an abbreviation for Conway Stewart - and you are absolutely correct about P for Parker.

Parker called their straight as opposed to oblique straight edged nibs for the P75 stub. They do give line variation, but are very forgiving and have smooth nibs, so on the continuum from round throught stub through cursive italic through crips italic, I would call the one I have a stub rather than a cursive italic. It's definitely more stub like than my P25, Sonnet or Duofold.

My TWSBI 1.1 is great.

All my stubs are great, but the one that rules them all is the Conway Stewart Churchill with an IF factory nib.

F nibs are not supposed to be good stubs, I hear, but this one is great.

My 78 G B and BB gave me the addiction for Italix and stubs, but they are vexing to write with, with no tipping.

My Parker Centennial that Greg Mnuskin retipped, because it came mangled from flea bay is a marvel also, a 1.0 mm stub. Greg recommended against anything finer.. It sometimes replaces the Churchill in my heart when I am fickle.

Can't go wrong with the TWSBI if you want to try at a Budget. Definitely best value.

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Tas, I've actually purchased both the "B" and the "BB" versions of the 78G. I was hoping to buy something that writes that good but doesn't look as cheap.

I hear you.

:)

^^ The 823 comes with a BB nib. I am going to see if i can put it on my 845.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I have a Pilot 78G ( B), TWSBI Vac 700, Mini and 580AL all 3 in 1.1 stub and a Pilot Vanishing Point with a 0.6 stub from Richard binder.

The smoothest is the TWSBI Vac 700, very closely followed by the Vanishing point. Usability-wise (think everyday use) I'd say the Vanishing Point takes first place, the TWSBI mini comes in second (it puts down a line just a tad narrower than the other 2 TWSBI pens), then the Vac 700 and 580AL tied in third and last the 78G.

I think it's hard to beat the value for money TWSBI stubs.

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Except that TWSBI stubs often have an issue of not being able to supply ink requirements.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Except that TWSBI stubs often have an issue of not being able to supply ink requirements.

Never experienced that problem with any of my 3 TWSBI stubs. Now the Pilot 78G on the other hand, that required a bit of tweaking of the feed to get it writing properly (andit still writes fairly dry).

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

If we're talking value for money, the Lamy 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9 are far better value than anything else out there at the moment, including the TWISBIs

Buttery smooth in my experience too

I have a Pilot 78G ( B), TWSBI Vac 700, Mini and 580AL all 3 in 1.1 stub and a Pilot Vanishing Point with a 0.6 stub from Richard binder.

Do you have a writing sample with the .6mm stub from Binder in your VP ? I'm looking at ordering one. Thx!

Do you have a writing sample with the .6mm stub from Binder in your VP ? I'm looking at ordering one. Thx!

Here you go:

15154768676_e12298d586_c.jpg

Here you go:

15154768676_e12298d586_c.jpg

That's nice, small enough for normal writing, but enough line variation for appearance. I wonder how a cursive italic would look compared to straight stub of the same size.

Edited by KBeezie

That's nice, small enough for normal writing, but enough line variation for appearance.

And that is the exact reason I chose this nib :)

If we're talking value for money, the Lamy 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9 are far better value than anything else out there at the moment, including the TWISBIs

Buttery smooth in my experience too

+1

My TWSBI 580RB does have starting issues, but when you get it going it just swims across the page :)

It's a lot wider than Lamy 1.1!

Lamy would be my preferred choice - 1.1 suits my writing, it's smooooooth, wet, love the grip and I have matched al-star with Diamine Tyrian Purple. It's perfect :) all in £30 including ink.

The only other stub I have is Pilot Prera Cm-which is super scratchy and cuts paper :( I'm planning to work on it soon :)

Here is how I would rank my stubs and Italics:

It is a tie between my Delta Dolce Vita stub (gold nib) and my Edison Beaumont 1.1mm (steel nib) for the first place. The Delta is a little smoother but less precise than the Edison (more stub than italic).

Very close runner up are my Delta fusion stub and TWSBI 540 1.1mm.

Then, in third place comes my Homo Sapiens 1.3mm. Smoothest pen I own but too broad and wet for my taste. Still a pleasure to write with but limited utility in a day to day work environment.

The Lamy Vista 1.1mm is nice but not as smooth as the previous ones.

Fifth place goes to my Conway Stewart Wellington IF. Too fine, very little line variation.

Last place goes to my Italix. Scratchy to the extent that you can literally cut through paper if you are not careful. Not happy

Cheers,

Pierre

My own experience with stubs is that they tend to vary greatly from brand to brand and even pen to pen. Each stub is its own species, and each one has required me to take some time to get used to it -- and I usually ended up loving them all.

The factory oblique stub on my Sheaffer Targa is amazing and makes a wonderful signature pen, though it's a bit large for everyday writing.

The factory stub on my Waterman L'Etalon is big and wet and super-smooth and lovely, though again a bit large for everyday writing.

Esterbrook #2314-F and #2314-M Relief Stubs (i.e. oblique stubs) are outstanding. The 2314-F is a fine tip with subtle variation, perhaps too subtle for some, but I found it great for everyday cursive handwriting.

I've had a couple of B nibs custom ground to about 0.8mm or 0.9mm stubs, and they've been very good. The one I got from Richard Binder with my Bexley Corona is fantastic.

One of the few stubs that I didn't like was the one on my modern Sheafer Balance, which was too wide and too sharp-edged for my taste. It really was more of a calligraphy nib than a general-purpose handwriting nib. I rather lean toward smaller and smoother tips, rather than the wide and crisp italics.