What Pen Has The Best Stub Nib You've Ever Used?

SomethingWicked

Vintage Parker Duofold Stub, vintage Parker Vacumatic Maxima Stubs, MB 149 AND 146 Broads which have stubbish qualities, Omas Stubs and broads, vintage Sheaffer PFM stub, vintage Sheaffer Triumph Broad and Stub, vintage Sheaffer Balance Stub and Broad, Conway Stewart Italic Broad, Danitrio's broad, Bexley's Stub and Broad, older Nettuno Broad nibs and Stipula Italic and Broad nibs.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SomethingWicked

• Bo Bo Olson

• de_pen_dent

• benincanada

My absolute best stub is on a vintage Onoto Chatsworth that I got from Andy's Pens, just gorgeous.

For modern, easily available stubs, Franklin Christoph 02 Intrinsic with a steel stub Masuyama nib, wonderful line variation but very smooth. Second would be a TWSBI stub, although my recently purchased Delta Fusion stub is showing great potential, just haven't used it enough yet to judge properly.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I also love the Franklin Christoph 02 Intrinsic with a broad steel stub Masuyama nib - heck, it`s my Nr.1 go-to pen for weeks now,...

… but from all my nibs, this Broad Semi-Flex Stub nib, customized for me personally ;) by D & D Paris, some 80+ years ago, is the absolute killer!

​(loaded with Diamine Claret)

post-102713-0-43026200-1410801003_thumb.jpg

80+ years ago

:yikes:

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Pendleton Brown Butter Line Stub. Great feel and very smooth.

I agree!!!!!!!

Anne Gray

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.

As a leftie overwriter, the only stub nibs I enjoy are stub nibs that are iridium tipped, not bare steel. Any type of stub nibs that have been modified by nibmeisters are good enough for me thus far.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Lamy and Nemosine have been great nibs for me. I love the TWSBI but has a slight skipping nuisance that i hope to fix. The best writer so far in terms of slant and variation (1.1 mm). LAmy 1.9 is soft as butter and unfailing. Have to get a 1.1 from them!. The best for normal writing size.

Edited by Oldtimer

The BEST that I have is a Bexley Corona that has a steel B ground to a 0,8 mm stub by Richard Binder. It is fantastic.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I bit and ordered the Binderized CI 0.6mm VP nib. Ships on Saturday; I'm so excited! Don't know which VP body to use: stealth black or green (both are older faceted models from the mid-90's).

I hope you return to post some handwriting examples here! Would love to see them.

It's a beautiful pen. They tend to get hairline cracks on the lip of the cap so if you do post it, I would be very careful - enjoy!

edit to add: hey your handwriting ain't so bad!!

Thanks for the valuable tip. I've had some bad experiences with a Shaeffer Aspen, so I know what you mean. And I appreciate your support on the handwriting. I've broken my right arm a bunch of different times, so my muscle development needs more work.

Ohhh....what a beauty! I have been watching/bidding on few of these for weeks! No luck yet

Thank you for the compliment. You are much too kind as this poor photo was taken indoors without a flash. I will try reposting with better light.

I also love the Franklin Christoph 02 Intrinsic with a broad steel stub Masuyama nib - heck, it`s my Nr.1 go-to pen for weeks now,...

but from all my nibs, this Broad Semi-Flex Stub nib, customized for me personally ;) by D & D Paris, some 80+ years ago, is the absolute killer!

​(loaded with Diamine Claret)

Polanova, thank you for the sweet photo!

Did you write that you had that nib worked on over 80 years ago?? And you are accomplished on a computer. AND you write with emojies! What a fascinating life you must be having.

Edited by SomethingWicked

Today I received my Pelikan M200 (steel) nib ground to a 0.6mm stub by Richard Binder - writes very well!

Sloppy sample below:

http://i.imgur.com/Gh7f2Vr.jpg

Almost any Montblanc will do its job.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

This is probably the best factory stub nib in my collection. I have a number of custom-ground nibs that are as good or better.

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/MOWMlcNkMZ4TYM/3623304.0/org/p/Writing_Sample%2C_S_T_Dupont_Vertigo.jpg

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

I do love stubs, and in many years, I had the chance to collect some of them

It all started with a blue Pelikan M800 B customized by Pendemonium about 15 years ago. It was my only FP for years. Very smooth and wet. It 0.9 mm, a delight.

Then I received a Sheaffer Heritage, Palladium Cut, with an original stub. It is a 1,0 mm width nib, and it tends to skip, mainly in vertical movements.

Franklin Christoph 29, customized by Masuyama, from a broad nib, again in the 0.8-0.9 range, wet and smooth but no many line variation

Another Pelikan, M600, BB, customized by Richard Binder, a wonderful nib, 1,2 mm, very wet, but in a fp that s too light to my taste.

Lamy 1.1 italic: They are a lottery. Some of them nice and others very scratchy.

TWSBI 1,1: 1 on a Vac 700, the other on a 580, both translucent (colored FP do not come with stubs out of the factory). A delight, wet and smooth stubs, very reliable, not skippers. I have another 580, rose gold, customized by Pendleton Brown, from a B original nib. I have only read good experiences about his work, but I do not like that nib too much. It is too dry and too scratchy to my taste. It seems to be that I do not push the FP too much, so line variation given by extra flex is not my business.

As summary, if you are about to pay for a customized stub, it is not a surprise to receive a good nib. The surprise would be not to. But for not expensive fp, I would trust in TWSBI. My first pilot 1,1 italic, and a Monteverde 1,1 are on their way to Chile. If you are still interested, I will let you know about them.