Pilot Murex Skip Problem

herschm

I have used and enjoyed Pilot Murex stainless steel pens, all with a fine nib since the early 1970s, buying several at later dates, including one inscribed H804.

With three or four of them, I found a consistent problem. The pen skips, particularly with Waterman's Green or Brown inks as well as those from different manufacturers, notably on Steno pad paper, but on other types of paper as well.

Taking them to my local pen store where the nib prongs were separated slightly to improve flow did little to solve the problem, save changing the line from fine to medium.

This is not a difficulty I found with earlier models of the same pen.

Have any other of my fellow pen lovers had similar problems? If so, how did you solve the difficulty?

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,

herschm

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• herschm

• KBeezie

• Namo

• arcadeflow

Did you try Pilot inks? Have they always behave like this? If there is a chance they got worse over the years, ultrasonic cleaning may be the answer.

I have or have had three Murexes. The only one with which I did have problems was the second one, a Medium. The other two were/are perfect, and both are Fine nibs. The Murex loves wet inks though, being Pilot, Waterman or the higher end ink by Pilot, Iroshizuzu. But no problem with other inks either (Noodler's, Diamine, Herbin, Pelikan...)

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I've never tried waterman green or brown, but waterman black has always been well behaved for me, even if it is a bit on the wet side.

But I do agree with others, every Iroshizuku inks has been well behaved for me. But Pilot blue (ie: from the provided cartridges) kept being too dry for me thus making the pen a hard starter, plus I didn't like the smell of the ink. Whereas Pilot black was much nicer on the flow, especially for finer nibs.

On the topic of the Murex, for a first one, how's the M-90?

Edited by KBeezie

My Murex has never given me trouble with Diamine Green-black or Denim. With the latter flow was actually a bit too generous. I find it a wetter writer than my M90 (both medium nibs).

Edited by alexander_k

Again, many thanks to all of you for your help. I will try the different inks you suggested.

KBeezie, I haven't used the MU90, so it may well be worth a try. It is not too expensive on Rakuten.

alexander_k: I just noticed The Goldfinch, Fabritius'. Wonderful, touching painting and a protagonist in Tartt's terrific book. Do you live near The Hague anthe Mauritshuis?

Have you read the book?

herschm

Again, many thanks to all of you for your help. I will try the different inks you suggested.

KBeezie, I haven't used the MU90, so it may well be worth a try. It is not too expensive on Rakuten.

I wasn't aware they were selling vintage on Rakuten.