Help In Identifying This Pen, Possible Duofold Junior Deluxe/juniorette?

Wild Rover

Hi everyone!

I recently found this pen in my grandfather's basement, and have been trying to figure out which model it is exactly. It is sadly missing the cap so, basically, I just want to know what the heck to call this pen so I can start buying parts for it or send it off for restoration. It has no identifying marks on the barrel, but 'Parker Fountain Pen, Canada 14K' is on the nib.

After some research I have narrowed it down to (maybe--these are all guesses made by an amateur!) either a Duofold Junior (Deluxe?) or a Juniorette. It is a button fill. The pen itself is very small, similar in size to my Esterbrook SJ but a little longer and perhaps a smidgen thicker, at 4.25 inches long and about 10mm at its thickest on the barrel. Again, these measurements are without the cap so I cannot compare them to what I have found online, which are measurements of pens with the cap.

I'm hoping someone can help me out and restore this! I don't have much from my grandpa, and with my love for pens, I would like to have this pen function like it once did back in the day. :)

I've attached a couple photos. Sorry about the quality, couldn't get the camera to focus, lighting is terrible... I have no idea how to take pictures of pens haha.

Thanks!

post-109182-0-97314100-1409977189_thumb.jpg

post-109182-0-19389300-1409977204_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen lady

• Wild Rover

• Apothic

• Wahl

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the feed a Lucky Curve feed? If it is, it'll look like a Christmas tree behind the nib. That'll give a clue.. It could be a depression era Parker or streamlined duofold.. Hard to say for sure with the pics... Is the blind cap matching the barrel or is it black?

Edited by Apothic

www.pen-deco.com

Pity about the cap, such a pretty pen. Have you seen any marking on the barrel? You might have to look very carefully as it is probably is pretty worn down. I can see a vistulated area in the section, maybe it's some kind of Challenger?

Edited by pen lady

I can see a vistulated area in the section, maybe it's some kind of Challenger?

I agree with pen lady. I think this is a Parker "slender" Challenger. A Duofold wouldn't have the ink window in the section.

I should have some imprint on the barrel, but it could be very faint.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Thank you for all the responses! You guys are awesome.

Okay, I don't think it is a Lucky Curve feed, but I could be wrong. I compared the picture I have attached to one I found on google. The blind cap does not match the barrel--it is black.

This pen really is so pretty, pen lady! I wish I could find the cap somewhere. I'll have to take another look. If I can't find it, I wonder how hard it would be to locate a matching cap. I thoroughly searched all of the barrel under a bright light for any sign of markings, but I think it was used so much that it is probably worn down totally. With its ink window I do definitely see the resemblance to the Challenger, most probably the slender. Here is an interesting link: http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=2032

The red slender deluxe looks almost identical to my pen, and is the exactly same size as my pen uncapped (10.8cm). Do we have a match? :D

Thanks again!

post-109182-0-79141600-1410038154_thumb.jpg

Glad to be of help. Sure looks like that pen in the link doesn't it? Fingers crossed for a cap, maybe some of the professional restorers who contribute here can suggest something.

Edited by pen lady

That sounds like a great idea. Should I start a new topic to draw a little more attention to my need of a cap? If so, is this Parker forum the right place? Haha, sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to FPN!

Tonight I dipped the pen in a little water and depressed the button to see what would happen, and I was a little shocked to find out that it sucked up a considerable amount of water! And then spit it back out when I pressed the button again. I don't know what condition the sac is in, but this leaves me hopeful. I'm just a bit too wary to attempt inking it up, though, haha.

How hard is it to take these pens apart? I don't want to hurt anything, but the blue ink that came out didn't look the cleanest. Which I suppose can be expected from a pen that has been laying up for about 30 years or so. :P Of course I won't attempt anything until I have a good idea of what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Check out the pinned articles at the beginning of the Repair Q & A forum. There's some excellent advice there. Caution is good when dealing with pens, yours is about 70 years old, most likely dating from the early 40's. Good luck.

Edited by pen lady

Finding a matching cap will probably be a real challenge. If worse comes to worst, you could have a replacement made. Probably not with perfectly matching material but possibly complimentary or contrasting colors. Contact Shawn Newton to discuss the project. He is a great craftsman and very creative. A working cap would be great for your restored pen while you search for that perfect match. I'd do anything I could to have a pen that belonged to my Grandfather.