Why Do I Love This Pen?

LisaN

I don't understand what it is about this Kaweco silver AL Sport. The fine nib is certainly not as nice as the nibs on my Pelikans, my vintage Sheaffers, or my flexy waterman.

But every day I tuck it in a pocket. It has a purple Kaweco cartridge in it, so not the most versatile ink (and besides that, I have lots of colors in the ink box, including purples). I always have at least 2 pels with me in a pen case, but that little Kaweco is the one I use. I love its smooth metal, its perfect machining, the weight, the sound of the aluminum. The beauty of the octagonal cap... It has a set of sensory impressions quite different from all other pens.

It is my precious....

Even after sitting in the heat of my pocket, the pen behaves perfectly- no leaks, no nothing. Starts right up and keeps going, with crisp ink that doesn't bleed. Pretty water resistant, too. (tried to erase with water, it didn't budge, just pinked up the paper a bit.)

One colleague has threatened to steal it.

post-46058-0-32789400-1409973129_thumb.jpgpost-46058-0-88008800-1409973205_thumb.jpg

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FoszFay

• KBeezie

• LisaN

• Green Ink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These Kawecos look interesting whenever I see people posting pics of them. I just wish they weren't cartridge pens.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

The fine nib absolutely sips ink. The carts last a long time.

If I ever want to, I have syringes to refill them.

I will be using Kaweco ink for that.

Those little Kaweco pens are true gems. I have a piston filler from the 1960s which has never let me down. Now thanks to the OP I'll have to look into Kaweco ink as well.

It's interesting seeing one that's not scratched up yet :P

The fine nib absolutely sips ink. The carts last a long time.
If I ever want to, I have syringes to refill them.
I will be using Kaweco ink for that.

That's what I'm doing with mine, syringe filled some Akkerman #5 (Shocking Blue) in my Raw Aluminum AL Sport with a very silky smooth medium nib.
Edited by KBeezie

Uncle! Uncle! I give up! I keep hearing about this pen. I am an old man who has used fountain pens since elementary school (was called grammar school back then) and, not only do I still have many of those old pens, I've been adding to them ever since. I know there are a lot of quality pens out there in the biosphere that I have never tried. But I have about reached that point that I thought was impossible to reach - the point where I admit I have too many pens.

Now, LisaN, you post this description of your Kaweco Al Sport with its fine nib in such a glowing fashion! My resistance melted more and more with every line. I will have to get one.

Please, LisaN, if I reach that point before I croak where I decide to sell my pens, will you write the notices for me. I'm certain they will sell if you do.

-David.

Edited by estie1948

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Uncle! Uncle! I give up! I keep hearing about this pen. I am an old man who has used fountain pens since elementary school (was called grammar school back then) and, not only do I still have many of those old pens, I've been adding to them ever since. I know there are a lot of quality pens out there in the biosphere that I have never tried. But I have about reached that point that I thought was impossible to reach - the point where I admit I have too many pens.

Now, LisaN, you post this description of your Kaweco Al Sport with its fine nib in such a glowing fashion! My resistance melted more and more with every line. I will have to get one.

Please, LisaN, if I reach that point before I croak where I decide to sell my pens, will you write the notices for me. I'm certain they will sell if you do.

-David.

Bwahaha :D

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/kaweco/write_photo.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/kaweco/uncapped.jpg

Now go get one already.

Lisa can really persuade indeed! And Karl's photos add to the temptation!

Can someone be so kid as to measure the midpoint of the section for me? It looks like it might be too big for my smalll hands. :(

Lisa can really persuade indeed! And Karl's photos add to the temptation!

Can someone be so kid as to measure the midpoint of the section for me? It looks like it might be too big for my smalll hands. :(

Diameter or length of the grip?

I could also put it besides another pen if you're familiar with it's size.

The list of pens I could put it next to:

• Nemosine Singularity
  • Pilot Elite Mini (same size as an Elite 95S)
  • Pilot Vanishing Point
  • Parker 51 Vac
  • Pilot Petit1
  • Lamy Safari
  • Platinum Century 3776
  • Sailor 1911M Standard
  • Pelikan M250
  • Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral
  • Sheaffer Touchdown Statesman
  • Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral
  • Jinhao 599
  • Jinhao 159
  • Eversharp Skyline
  • Eversharp Skyline Demi
  • Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk
  • Faber-Castell BASIC (Leather)
  • Platinum PTL-5000

Oh and here's some pics I took before compared to my pocket pens and a Pilot Metropolitan (Capped, Posted, and Uncapped)

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pocket_pens/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pocket_pens/uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pocket_pens/posted.jpg

Edit: Also if you hit up Goulet Pens and then goto product details they give specific dimensions (though not the length of the grip specifically)

Weights

Overall: 22g (0.78oz)

Body: 13g (0.46oz)

Cap: 9g (0.32oz)

Lengths

Overall, closed: 105mm (4.13in)

Overall, posted: 132mm (5.2in)

Body: 100mm (3.14in)

Cap: 70mm (2.76in)

Nib: 17mm (0.67in)

Diameters

Grip (at thinnest): 9.40mm (0.37in)

Body: 11mm (0.43in)

Cap (no clip): 14mm (0.55in)

Cap (w/ clip): 18mm (0.71in)

Edited by KBeezie

Everytime I see this pen I think they are the ugliest thing ever produced. I think I would rather be seen with a ballpoint...Yes, I know.

But now, I think now I am beginning to like Kaweco Sport's, I don't know why, but it's like I have a devil on one shoulder, and an angel on the other. I can't make up my mind whether to like or hate this pen.

Tom.

Edited by FoszFay

Everytime I see this pen I think they are the ugliest thing ever produced. I think I would rather be seen with a would rather be seen with a ballpoint...Yes, I know.

But now, I think now I am beginning to like Kaweco Sport's, I don't know why, but it's like I have a devil on one shoulder, and an angel on the other. I can't make up my mind whether to like or hate this pen.

Tom.

Least you can enjoy abusing it... lol. "God I hate you..." throw it into a pocket full of keys and change.

Least you can enjoy abusing it... lol. "God I hate you..." throw it into a pocket full of keys and change.

Haha. I was generally speaking about the Sport's shape. The massive cap and small length. Ugh... It's so ugly I like it. I think I'll end up getting one in the very near future.

Tom.

Edited by FoszFay

I love the Sports. I always have at least one in my pocket. Sometimes 2. My preference is the plastic Classic Sport, though. I struggle with the slipperiness of the Al. I would like to carry it more often, though. I'll have to see if I can come up with a fix to make it easier to hold.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Haha. I was generally speaking about the Sport's shape. The massive cap and small length. Ugh... It's so ugly I like it. I think I'll end up getting one in the very near future.

Tom.

The massive cap doesn't bother me, that's by design as a "pocket" pen. The shape... yea it does come off as looking more like a tool, or tube of lipstick.

With the exception of the Petit1, the remainder of my 'pocket' pens share that exact same trait, huge cap, small pen, as it's designed to be posted so it feels normal length (Without posting, it's hardly comfortable).

It's the smoothness and weight of the anodized aluminum (aluminium). You keep pulling out of your pocket just to touch it. You write. Then you drop it in your (empty) pocket just to feel it thump.

I love that the Kaweco AL is so very non-pen-like in the pocket.

It feels like a small, well-designed engineering tool.

By the way, they make a rollerball with the same cap.

Edited by LisaN