My New Chandan ( Sandalwood) Pen Made By Fosfor Pens

hari317

I just want to share some pictures of my new Sandalwood (Chandan in Hindi) pen that I received today. I have already reviewed my flattop Sandalwood pen here.

It is handmade by FPN member ManojD who has a pen making shop called Fosforpens. The fragrant Sandalwood is Indian. The rust red Ebonite is also Indian. The sterling silver clip is handmade by a Pune Jeweller for Manoj.

The genesis of this second pen was during the recently concluded Mumbai pen event where I met with Manoj and saw his latest creations. He had got these sterling silver clips made and I liked them so much that I wanted one for my Flattop Chandan pen too. Manoj agreed to retrofit my existing pen and at the same time mentioned that he now able to make cigar shaped wooden pens with clips too. I placed my order for one more Chandan, this time in Cigar shape. I requested that the core of the pen this time be in this rust red ebonite material. I left the shape details to Manoj's discretion.

Manoj started work on my Cigar and emailed me some pictures at each stage. Finally after some tweaking, my pen was ready. Here are the pictures:

New Style Box:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0273.jpg

The box opened:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0274.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0275.jpg

To show you the woodgrain:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0276.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0277.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0278.jpg

Opened:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0279.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0280.jpg

Clip:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0284.jpg

Side:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0285.jpg

Top:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0286.jpg

The nib: a standard Schmidt nib unit.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0287.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0288.jpg

Compared to my FT Chandan pen:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0281.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/ManojDChandan/Cigar%20shaped/IMG_0282.jpg

Cheers!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Brian K

• mehandiratta

• WateryFlow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indian Sandalwood a protected species so it's probably quite an investment. Bet it smells amazing too

It could be an idea to varnish it too or treat it in some way to protect the wood and give it a nice sheen.

Edited by WateryFlow

Indian Sandalwood a protected species so it's probably quite an investment. Bet it smells amazing too

It could be an idea to varnish it too or treat it in some way to protect the wood and give it a nice sheen.

Yeah, Hari could varnish it if he didn't want to smell the heavenly fragrance of this precious wood. I'd love a pen like this but I'm fairly certain it's beyond my reach.

Congratulations, Hari, I wish you the joy of it!

Regards,

Brian

Edited by Brian K

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Yeah, Hari could varnish it if he didn't want to smell the heavenly fragrance of this precious wood. I'd love a pen like this but I'm fairly certain it's beyond my reach.

Regards,

Brian

When he's got such a lovely pen, keeping the aroma should be the least of his priorities

When he's got such a lovely pen, keeping the aroma should be the least of his priorities

Sandalwood is prized for it's fragrance rather than it's appearance. If Hari varnished this pen it would he just another wooden pen. Unvarnished this pen will be fragrant for decades. Indeed, in the review for the original pen he said he conciously chose to have it unfinished so it would be fragrant. If you're not familiar with the aroma of sandal you should hunt some up (sandalwood oil is easy to find) and find out what it's all about. Sandalwood is one of my favorite fragrances and a pen like this would be something special indeed!

Regards,

Brian

Edited by Brian K

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

If you're not familiar with the aroma of sandal you should hunt some up (sandalwood oil is easy to find) and find out what it's all about. Sandalwood is one of my favorite fragrances and a pen like this would be something special indeed!

I'm very familiar with it because I have a whole range of essential oils. I guess you must be referring to synthetic oil

Personally I would rather keep the wood from harm in the long run.

Edited by WateryFlow

I'm very familiar with it because I have a whole range of essential oils. I guess you must be referring to synthetic oil

Personally I would rather keep the wood from harm in the long run.

I have a fan made from sandalwood that is still fragrant after 30 years. It would be great to have a pen like that, and apparently Hari feels the same. Your mileage may vary. To be honest, I am not that impressed with sandalwood as a wood. If it didn't have a lovely fragrance I wouldn't be interested in it at all. Edited by Brian K

What's also nice about manojds sandalwood pens is after you've held it in your hands for a few minutes and put it away, the aroma clings to the fingers...

and while it's true that the color of my Sandalwood Islander is not (yet) much to look at, I understand that it will darken with time and use - indeed it has already started - and since it has the same shape of my Rosewood Islander, it's form is beautiful. But yes, the special character of this pen is the invisible quality of how it smells.

And I found manojd surprisingly affordable. Not inexpensive, to be sure, but not out of the reach of my modest budget.

Edited: and, I have to add, the reddish ebonite makes this a visually stunning pen once it is open!

Edited by mhguda

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

My first pen is now nearly 4months old, it remains fragrant. The Plantations, felling and sale of Sandalwood is tightly regulated. However Sandalwood is a part and parcel of Indian life so the government does allow the sale of limited quantities to the general public. One would need a licence to hold a larger inventory.

Thanks Brian. The major use of a bigger nice piece of heartwood is in carving out sculptures. The wood is highly prized for this purpose, they are typically uncoated and of course they remain fragrant. Our household has a Chandan billet bought some 25years ago in Kerala, used for preparing sandalwood paste, it is still fragrant and quite resistant to effects of moisture etc. I think it is a a hardy wood.

That is a lovely pen!

Thank you Federico.

it's form is beautiful. But yes, the special character of this pen is the invisible quality of how it smells.

Do show some pictures of your pen.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sweet pen Hari, you really search out the special makers. Is the entire barrel lined with ebonite or just the section?

Congrats, Hari, on your second aromatic acquisition...I like the new addition - the silver clip...looks good on the pen...the pen looks deceptive, doesn't it? But I am sure it spreads fragrance...thanks also to Manoj for making it flawlessly...have you combined it with the HMT Chandan any time?

Jai

Writing and posting about fountain pens exclusively on www.jaisiri.blogspot.in ... recent posts on Hema Pens (Hyderabad), Haul at Majestic (Bangalore), and Asoka Pens (Tenali)...

Sweet pen Hari, you really search out the special makers. Is the entire barrel lined with ebonite or just the section?

thanks! the pens search me out. :)

yes. the barrel also has an ebonite core, that allows me to use the pen as an ED pen if I wished.

Congrats, Hari, on your second aromatic acquisition...I like the new addition - the silver clip...looks good on the pen...the pen looks deceptive, doesn't it? But I am sure it spreads fragrance...thanks also to Manoj for making it flawlessly...have you combined it with the HMT Chandan any time?

Jai

Thanks Jai. Na, have not tried that combination yet. anyway I think the HMT will need a new powercell.

i have a flat top sandalwood pen with a gold plated clip from Manoj but this silver clip looks classy n less flashy than mine.

hari well good to know u collect hmt watches as well

the danger of staining the pen prevents me from going the ED way.

Edited by maverink

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Here are some photos of my Fosfor Islanders.

post-83673-0-77294300-1410011889_thumb.jpg
post-83673-0-69348800-1410011855_thumb.jpg

post-83673-0-35655900-1410011936_thumb.jpg

post-83673-0-68345300-1410011962_thumb.jpg

To my chagrin the Sandalwood already shows that it live(d) on my desk, in the open, ready to grab.

The little spots are ink spatter from far away - I must have shaken the other pen and some drop ended up where I didn't want it!

It's now in a closed wooden box, still on the desk but not so vulnerable...

OTOH you can see how it is already darkening. I am very happy with this process and hope it darkens further...

The other pen is my Rosewood, and it is a beauty...

They both are really nice writers. With my limited experience of one Jowo nib, I think I prefer the Schmidts...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Here are some photos of my Fosfor Islanders.

attachicon.gif2014-09-06 08.52.39.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-09-06 08.53.16.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-09-06 08.53.42_cr.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-09-06 08.53.26.jpg

To my chagrin the Sandalwood already shows that it live(d) on my desk, in the open, ready to grab.

The little spots are ink spatter from far away - I must have shaken the other pen and some drop ended up where I didn't want it!

It's now in a closed wooden box, still on the desk but not so vulnerable...

OTOH you can see how it is already darkening. I am very happy with this process and hope it darkens further...

The other pen is my Rosewood, and it is a beauty...

They both are really nice writers. With my limited experience of one Jowo nib, I think I prefer the Schmidts...

That sucks.

Hence the reason for coating(if it's ever intended for being used at some point. I can't image all the ink and grime that would get on the pen over a period of time). I'm guessing that Hari doesn't intend to use the pen

Edited by WateryFlow

That sucks.

Hence the reason for coating. I'm guessing that Hari doesn't intend to use the pen

Bad guess? :)

I don't mind my pen developing usage signs as I use it. In fact, I had Manoj equip my clipless Chandan FT with a silver clip so that I could use it even more, clipped to my shirt pocket, not babied in a pen case. I don't worry so much, if the pen goes bad/stained so much that it's ugly, I will request Manoj to make one more for me.

I have been using my FT even amidst the harsh Bombay rains which I have to face while walking to work, a few drops even fell on the pen.

Edited by hari317