Monteverde Intima Handwritten Review

gwyneddd

]This is a brief review of my "Volcano" colored Monteverde Intima with a 1.1mm stub nib. I like this pen a lot--it's fun to write with and more enjoyable than my old Osmiroid, though of course I have to use fountain pen ink. This pen is a great journaling pen and if you lose it abroad, it won't be a total tragedy.

The pen is a bit more dramatic-looking in person, because the resin has some nice mother-of-pearl depth beneath the orange veins.

post-115886-0-72384500-1409571787_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gwyneddd

• Helen350

• WaskiSquirrel

• Mishka5050

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The section feels like metal to me: it is black but cold to the touch unlike the warm resin. I assume it is steel coated with epoxy. The nib is steel.

The pen does not feel fragile to me. The screw cap is welcome--and it comes with a converter (twist fill type.)

Good questions...will try to include more material info in next review.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet! If I liked orange ink, I'd put it in the Volcano. I'm awaiting some gray ink (Fuyu syogen Iroshizuku) which I think would be very good match. Right now it's clashing with a new nib (fine point Goulet) and Momimi ink which is PINK PINK PINK. I have several fps and I like the Monteverde almost as much as my slimline Montblancs and more than quite a few others. (It doesn't smell, for one thing, Mr. Ahab!)

I wasn't super-thrilled with the pen, but it was pretty cool to load it up with Dragon's Napalm and write with it with a black nib. I may keep the pen just for this reason.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Do you guys change ink colour once you find the perfect match?

I don't :P

I don't either. I have more inks than pens. Although for photographic and aesthetic purposes, it's nice to match pen to ink color. But it's not something I do.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't super-thrilled with the pen, but it was pretty cool to load it up with Dragon's Napalm and write with it with a black nib. I may keep the pen just for this reason.

What was there about the pen that you did not like? Have you used the pen with the Dragon's Napalm since your comments in September, 2014, and what was the outcome??

What was there about the pen that you did not like? Have you used the pen with the Dragon's Napalm since your comments in September, 2014, and what was the outcome??

There were several things I didn't like. One was that the grip wobbled too much in the barrel. A second was that it just wasn't comfortable to use. A third was that I got to thinking more and more that I didn't like the finish (though that honestly may have been due to other factors). And, finally, I never felt like the converter got a good seat in the pen.

I did ink it up two more times, neither one with Dragon's Napalm, but my opinion didn't change.

It's an all right pen, but I just don't think it's for me. I just simply don't like holding it.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

There were several things I didn't like. One was that the grip wobbled too much in the barrel. A second was that it just wasn't comfortable to use. A third was that I got to thinking more and more that I didn't like the finish (though that honestly may have been due to other factors). And, finally, I never felt like the converter got a good seat in the pen.

I did ink it up two more times, neither one with Dragon's Napalm, but my opinion didn't change.

It's an all right pen, but I just don't think it's for me. I just simply don't like holding it.

I have four Monteverdes, and I am enjoying each one: Invincia Tartania, Artista Crystal, Prima & the Napa. Sounds like I might not to purchasing the Intima. Thanks for your feedback.

I have four Monteverdes, and I am enjoying each one: Invincia Tartania, Artista Crystal, Prima & the Napa. Sounds like I might not to purchasing the Intima. Thanks for your feedback.

It's a nice pen and mine has none of the issues Waski mentioned, but I will agree that it is not the most comfortable pen (though not what I'd call uncomfortable). For me, the section could be slightly longer and the threads a bit smaller. On the other hand, I do tend to hold high on the section and wrap more of my finger around than a standard tripod grip.

It has a lot going for it - I've not had it dry out with a single ink yet. It starts on the second stroke even when left uncapped for quite a while. It did run slightly dry (perhaps along the lines of a Safari) but that was easily fixed with some pressure on the nib. I suspect gwyn's skipping issues to be related to that stock dryness or to the ink (I'm not familiar with PR's wetness).

I've acquired a few under-fifty-buck pens since this review and I have to agree that the Monteverde is NOT the most comfortable pen. I think my Lamy Al-Star is absolutely the most comfortable. Probably due to the triangular grip on the section. I have a Pilot MR and it also is not the most comfortable, due to the torpedo shape.

Another comfy pen is the TWSBI 580. However for pretty looks, the Volcano is something else.