J Herbin’S Lie De The

S-K

J HERBIN’S LIE DE THE

14904911249_3fae8747c0_o.jpg

J HERBIN’S LIE DE THE. Bottled ink. Bought from Pen’s Avenue. 30 ml 695 Rs. A good source for imported inks in India. No affiliations, happy customer.

The review goes like this.

The bottle is simple. Square base, low height. Stable bottom. Less chance to get spill over. Convenient on busy tables. The slot for keeping a pen,a nice thought.

14904951900_7a2ff4df11_o.jpg

INTRODUCTION

Well, I find that all J Herbin’s inks are based on a theme. Here the theme ( I believe) is coffee mug. There are some similarities between coffee and this ink – both are ADDICTIVE!.

Addictive by COLOR, addictive by SHADING.

COLOR

14905017448_b2b430f581_o.jpg

15088584511_4ae66e72f0_o.jpg

Probably the nicest brown I have seen. I am not saying that Ancient Copper is bad.But unlike Ancient Copper, there is no crusting seen on nibs, so this naturally becomes my favorite brown.

SHADING

14904944230_5ae6c10a84_o.jpg

See the beautiful shading especially with broader nibs.

COLOR ANALYSIS

14905035707_678d605562_o.jpg

This is the swab to analyse.

15091593955_60658a2f81_o.jpg

The color is an Orange on darker side. Consists of more Red, least Blue and Green in between.

14904909439_162e382135_o.jpg

A simple chromatography shows that ink is made of 3 dye components, one Black, one Orange and probably one Yellow also.

Diluted with water

15068606786_a48a02f34d_o.jpg14905050317_47e9484e20_o.jpg

From Left to Right

Lesser concentration of ink shows yellowish shade, as the concentration increases it becomes more darkish and coffee like.

COLOR ON PAPER

14904947330_4fe9fac56f_o.jpg

FINE NIB ( Notice shading)

15091233852_3518629650_o.jpg

MEDIUM NIB.

14905018438_2062b191e5_o.jpg

BROAD NIB.

15091597545_ae802a5775_o.jpg

PROPERTIES IN PEN.

This is a reasonably saturated ink having good lubricating properties. The flow may be some where in between that of well flowing inks and moderately flowing inks.

Compared to Chelpark Crimson Violet which itself is a well flowing but lesser saturated ink.

15088580091_fb2a0b19c7_o.jpg

Same paper, same italic nib, same pen – I find the JH- LDT is a tad thinner on paper. But easy on hands, though saturated, it’s more lubricated.

15091591215_3c6c1f491a_o.jpg

Camlin Trinity, Fine nib.

14904904239_a833fb8a8b_o.jpg

Lamy safari, medium nib.

15091236202_31ee070e11_o.jpg

KIM, Medium CI nib.

No staining on the White Lamy I am using, No nib creeps. Worked well with a variety of Indian eyedroppers, Pilot Capless, Platinum balance, Heros, Pelikan m 200. No issue happened in a single pen.

PROPERTIES ON PAPER

SHADING

PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT PROPERTY OF THIS INK. Shades beautifully on papers.

DRYING

Reasonably fast drying. No complaints here.

15091592715_01c693bb5e_o.jpg

FEATHERING

15068599216_5f61e6c787_o.jpg

No practical feathering. This is a magnified image. Ink has with stood many cheap A4 and cheaper papers.

BLEEDING

14904911499_d0c1c479ac_o.jpg

I have to say that bleeding is seen to an extend ( called as ghosting?) in even Jk Excel Bond paper, which is supposed to be a good paper. This may be the only real negative property associated with this ink.

WATER RESISTANCE

14905044687_4c1ebed3cd_o.jpg

Sample shown under flowing water for 10 seconds with in one hour after writing.

14904942930_413f5db31c_o.jpg

Sample just wetted with one drop of water with in one hour after writing.

The ink can not be called as water resistant. Though all components are not washed off, especially the dark dye component.

Thanks

SK.

Edited by S-K

One Day I'll Grow Up Like My Master.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S-K

• dragos.mocanu

• kkshadow

• Ana_

Stunning review.

I've used this ink for years and you've shown it exactly as it is.

More, more, more . . . !

Edited by Tas

Stunning review ! Every aspect covered in full :)

The coffee relevance is, in my opinion, more likely to be tea. Translated as it is written on the bottle (lie de the') this is 'dregs of tea' which would make sense of the tea pot on the bottle and the lovely colour.

Keep these type of reviews coming, I will watch for them :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

This is one of my favourite browns, great review S-K :)

UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

Thanks Pen Nut, Thanks betweenthelens, thanks Floreat...

Pen Nut, You are correct. It must be Tea. Some how " Coffee" stuck on me.

Its still addicting...

Great idea with the RGB mapping and the chromatography. Did you need special equipment to do that with the gauze? Most fascinating!

Ken

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png

I got a bottle of this ink recently. You just made me want to load it up in a pen right now! :D Great review!

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Thanks Uncle Red, thanks kkshadow,Thanks Arran.Thanks Sujicorp and thanks tiny snail...

Kkshadow,

The procedure is simple. Make a ribbon gauze. Put a drop of ink around 10-15 cms from one end and allow to dry- atleast one hour. Take a glass of water and put that end in to it and other end stick on to wall or some thing to make it vertical. Check after one or two hours.

Sree

Thank you for the wonderful review. I am quite interested in the chromatography, can you briefly tell me how to do it?

You can perform a decent chromatography even with a white paper towel.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Thanks vj2k, thanks dragos mocanu,thanks mallymal,thanks Davis..

Davis,

Really we should do with a filter paper or tissue paper. But the tissue i bought was not

really working well- so i done with a gauze, the basic is apply ink on one side of the strip/ribbon gauze

, allow to dry- make it vertcal either by hanging or by sticking and keep one end immersed in water.

Usually 1 or two hours are enough. Make sure that the ink spot do not directly be immersed in water.

Do ..do.. It really works. And do not expect that from every ink we get two or more colors. The basic inks

like Turquoise blue, Royal Blue etc are made of single dyes only.

Sree

Wow, what a review! Lie de Thé has long been a favourite of mine, so much so I'd get the 100ml bottle in a heartbeat.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell