Just Ordered Pilot Custom Heritage 912!

Kuhataparunks

nyx_h

Pilot also makes a #15 SU nib. And users seem to like it. No complaints about upstrokes. Saskia Madding as far as I remember has switched this nib over to Pilot 823. So did some other people. I suspect you may like this variant also. Very high quality pen and lots of ink! The only thing is, the #15 don't come in rhodium plating.

I was considering the soft-medium lately. You seem to get much flex out of it. Is it what you do on regular basis?

The #15 nib performs better? Hmm. I would have to buy 2 pens then, to swap the nib. I was considering the 823 but I do not like the design as much as the 912. Maybe I will try it out first in the local store.

Here is a writing sample of my soft-medium:

http://i.imgur.com/n5AWlmm.jpg

I do not use much pressure, in fact I use very little pressure when writing. The tines naturally open up that amount. I bought this pen (custom heritage 92) in a local store, which is how I managed to get the soft-medium nib on a 92. I had tried the nib on a CH91, and I really liked it but I wanted to get a 92, so the salesman kindly changed it for me.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fromthecrowd

• miatagrrl

• Lamyrada

• cellardoor04

The #15 nib performs better? Hmm. I would have to buy 2 pens then, to swap the nib. I was considering the 823 but I do not like the design as much as the 912. Maybe I will try it out first in the local store.

I do not use much pressure, in fact I use very little pressure when writing. The tines naturally open up that amount. I bought this pen (custom heritage 92) in a local store, which is how I managed to get the soft-medium nib on a 92. I had tried the nib on a CH91, and I really liked it but I wanted to get a 92, so the salesman kindly changed it for me.

I was hoping they could also put the #15 SU nib to 823 for you at the store.

Thank you for the writing sample!

Did you get a chance to try the soft-fine and soft-fine-medium?

nyx_h

Sorry! I remembered you said they don't have the SU nib at your store. But you could ask online sellers (engeika, pisuke2005 or others) for this.

fromthecrowd

I asked both the Japanese sellers you mentioned as well as a different store but they are unable to as Pilot discourages the swapping of nibs. I did not try out the soft-fine or soft-fine-medium, but I was planning on picking up a second CH92 with SFM :P

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

nyx_h

After considering the issue I honestly think the sutab is not worth all the fuzz and expenses. The soft nibs look much more pleasing. And the piston mechanism is much more rational and convenient then the vac.

Quillpenjapan will do nib swaps for you or so I heard since they can chuck in a FA nib on a custom 823 (So I know they can do it) but yes the soft nibs are brilliant though to be honest Platinum also makes good soft nibs I'm liking the feel of my Heritage 91 with soft medium but not so much for the con-70 converter since I have to store it nib down to prevent my inky issues of it hard starting

but typically Pilot strongly advises its retailers about nib swaps from what is typically not given in a model (so I did say about people want these nibs to just do a special order)

or if you want the number 5 pilot nib will fit a TWSBI 580 nib unit... but it's not like I'm giving you ideas or anything of the sort

Edited by Algester

nyx_h

After considering the issue I honestly think the sutab is not worth all the fuzz and expenses. The soft nibs look much more pleasing. And the piston mechanism is much more rational and convenient then the vac.

If only I could try it out I could make an objective opinion. Well there is always the option of getting a B nib ground by a nibmeister :lol: I'm a fan of the CH92, but I would like a pen in a bigger size!

Quillpenjapan will do nib swaps for you or so I heard since they can chuck in a FA nib on a custom 823 (So I know they can do it) but yes the soft nibs are brilliant though to be honest Platinum also makes good soft nibs I'm liking the feel of my Heritage 91 with soft medium but not so much for the con-70 converter since I have to store it nib down to prevent my inky issues of it hard starting

but typically Pilot strongly advises its retailers about nib swaps from what is typically not given in a model (so I did say about people want these nibs to just do a special order)

or if you want the number 5 pilot nib will fit a TWSBI 580 nib unit... but it's not like I'm giving you ideas or anything of the sort

I did ask Tokyo Quill, they said they were not able to order the stub nib specifically for one pen, they would need to order in the 100s and they did not have that many requests to justify it. So the only way to get the nib you want is hope for a kind local salesman or buy 2 pens and do it yourself, I think.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally gave up on the Con 70, as I was afraid every time I pushed hard enough to get a good fill I would drive the nib into the bottom of the ink bottle and damage the nib. I just fill it with a syringe like the one Goulet's sells. That solves my problem.

AMEN TO THIS!!! Especially with regards to a nib as delicate as my Precious PO nib!!

Edited by Kuhataparunks

• 5 weeks later...

I have ordered a Custom 912 "C" nib just after the New Year through a dealer in Japan via amazon. I appears it will finally arrive tomorrow, per USPS tracking.

I am looking for this and I hope it will be a fat and wet nib!

I LOVE MY 912 WITH THE SFM NIB. At first I was afraid to press it, but now I do some pressing and it flexes nicely , adding "some" character, not much , since it is not designed for that. I guess all these nibs are designed to write Chinese characters where some parts of the strokes are wider, but not for long. That is the way I use it. Just a bit wider in some places, but not for long, please! I use it for drawing mostly since it is so wet and nice with Noodler's black

I finally gave up on the Con 70, as I was afraid every time I pushed hard enough to get a good fill I would drive the nib into the bottom of the ink bottle and damage the nib. I just fill it with a syringe like the one Goulet's sells. That solves my problem.

I've got a Custom 743 with a Con 70 converter, and have had no problems at all "driving the nib into the bottom of the ink bottle"; I hold the top of the section/bottom of the converter with thumb and middle finger, pressing the button with my index finger. It's quick, easy, and the nib never touches the inside of the ink container.

And no ink on my fingers, either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got a 912 with an SU nib and the few lines I have written have put a big smile on my face. Size and weight wise, this pen is perfect for me. The nib is great although could be smoother. Would love a piston filler but can't complain. Will be picking up a SFM soon hopefully.

• 1 month later...

Just bought a Custom Heritage 912 at the Fountain Pen Hospital Spring Pen Expo last Friday where I was pleased to meet Pilot Pen USA Brand Manager John Lane; a very decent gentleman. I was planning to get this with an FA nib, but on 2nd thought, thought that it would not be good for ordinary daily writing, so I tried a music nib and a stub nib. I bought the stub nib.

I am sorry to write that this is the first Pilot I have been a little disappointed with OOTB. I have several Pilots (acquired over more than 15 years): an Ecrino, 2 VP's (fine & broad), a Custom 74 (reground to cursive italic), and 2 resin Falcons, fine and broad; I really love my 74 and my 2 Falcons. I don't like the slightly derogatory tone, but I guess you could say I'm a "Pilot fanboy". Despite my slight disappointment with this 912, I'm still planning to get an 823 in December, and plan to acquire at some point a Custom 845.

What's wrong with my 912? Well, perhaps it's not fair, but compared to the 74 and the 2 Falcons, it's a dry writer; I like wet flowing nibs. Secondly, the nib has a rough feel even on decent paper, and more pronounced on pads I use for daily writing though of course I didn't notice it during the somewhat crowded, frenzied atmosphere of the pen show at the store. I like the classic, understated look of the pen and like its heft, girth and feel. I don't regret adding it to my stable and don't plan and selling it, but, I do plan on sending it to Pilot in Jacksonville FL for a nib flow adjustment and perhaps a little smoothing; I'm considering asking Pilot if they will swap out this nib for just a broad.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

What's wrong with my 912? Well, perhaps it's not fair, but compared to the 74 and the 2 Falcons, it's a dry writer; I like wet flowing nibs. Secondly, the nib has rough feel even on decent paper, and more pronounced on pads I use for daily writing...

Some Pilot nibs are overly dry. I too have a dry Pilot 742 stub. Recently a very good technique was published, how to make nibs wetter:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/289549-pilot-custom-823-vs-pelikan-m805/?p=3343446

I applied it on Pilot 92 medium with positive results. And plan to treat the Pilot 742 stub by same method as well.

Thank you fromthecrowd, I'm a little leery of doing my own adjustments in fear of ruining the nib, but I'll look at the link to see if it's something I can see myself attempting.

Thanks again.

To be fair to Pilot, after I emailed them in FL, they agreed to take it and adjust it. But, I decided to send it to Pendleton Brown instead. Looking forward to seeing what magic he'll work with it.

The pilot stub nibs are rougher out of the box than their other nibs. Most reviews have noted this. I didn't mind. As for dryness, I have had no such issues with mine by I tend to use Pilot ink in my Pilot pens as I like Pilot inks and they always work well together. With more viscous or dryer inks, it could be an issue. For example, pelikan inks do run considerably dryer in my pilots.

I must've missed those reviews of the stubs. I was using Pilot blue from a bottle; it was still running dry. This was my first Pilot disappointment. I harbor no resentment though; they did offer to adjust it for me so I can't really complain. I still love all my Pilots and expect I'll be loving this 912 when it comes back from nibmeister Brown. I also plan to acquire a couple of more Pilots such as a 743 and an 845 sometime.

Nobody and no compay's perfect.