Just Ordered Pilot Custom Heritage 912!

Kuhataparunks

After weeks of deliberation, I finally placed an order for a Pilot Custom Heritage 912 with a Posting nib, ordered from Engeika (no affiliation) also with some Iro Take-Sumi ink.

This will be my first $100+ fountain pen.

Does anyone have a 912 that they like/dislike? What might be your comments on it?

I hope this will be a good pen; I'm quite excited!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fromthecrowd

• miatagrrl

• Lamyrada

• cellardoor04

I have a sutab (SU) nib in my 912. It was a bit too sharp out of the box for my tastes, and was pretty rough on the upstroke. I gave it a little reshaping with some fine wet & dry paper followed by micromesh, and it's now one of my favourites!

I've heard good things about the PO nib, but haven't tried one myself. Be sure to let us know how it performs when you receive it. Enjoy!

First of all, congrats! I hope you'll get it faster than I did...
Its a great pen! I also have it with the PO nib.
I was struggling about whether to get this or the 742. I still wasn't sure until it arrived, but now I can tell that I just love the flat ends and the silver trim!
As for the nib, its definitely a nail, and is finer than my Vanishing Point's EF by a hair. I really love it!
I had a chance to try a Platinum UEF for a few words, and it was a little finer and - to my surprise - a little smoother than my PO nib. I have to say that I've only tried it on one kind of paper and it was just a few minutes though.
To be honest I don't mind the feedback the nib has. It gives you more control.
I use it for sketching and note taking without problem. No regrets!
I hope you'll like it too! :thumbup:

I have a 912 with a PO nib. Best choice! I just haven't gotten around to putting my writing sample up.

Edited by Bounce792

round-letter-exc.png

Pilot Custom Heritage 912 (and for that matter, Custom 742 and 743) is all about their nibs. It starts off with a simple, functional, non flashy (non urushi, celluloid etc etc) body which has good size and ergonomics (good balance whether posted or unposted), as well as a simple converter filling system - the Con-70 converter with excellent ink capacity. After getting these out of the way, the real choice is the type of nib you want. Whereas many pen companies are "simplifying" their nib offerings, the 912 offers no less than 15 different types of nibs (EF, F, SF, FM, SFM, M, SM, B, BB, PO, FA, WA, SU, C, MS), all of them with different feel and writing characteristics.

I have the 912 with the FA nib which is the polar opposite of the PO nib in terms of softness. It is unique amongst the modern nibs. At first, I tried copperplate writing with it but its flow does not keep up. I have the chance to talk to the Pilot nib doctor, and he says that the proper way to use the FA nib is to do slow Kanji or Chinese character writing, which I find it really does with flair.

My very first fountain pen is the Pilot Birdie. Since I have re-discovered the joy of fountain pen writing again, I have tried many other brands, and now I have come back to Pilot once again. Its range is fantastic with even the cheapest pens (V-pen, Varsity pen) writing well. Its gold nibs and the variety that they come in is what really shines in the Pilot range.

What does the '2' designation signify (for both the 74 and 91)? Besides roughly $60 in price difference?

That number refers to the size of the nib in the pen.

Those pens have the medium-sized #10 nib, and the Custom 743 (and the 823) have the large #15 nib.

The Custom 74 and 91 have the smaller #5 nib. Technically, they could have been called the Custom 741 and 911, but Pilot didn't add the "1" to the end of the model number for them.

Scientia potentia est.

Congratulations on your purchase. Let us know how you like it!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

What does the '2' designation signify (for both the 74 and 91)? Besides roughly $60 in price difference?

the 2 refers to 2nd variation hence it's actually a bit bigger than the 74 or the 91 while 3 refers to third vriation which is well having a bigger nib thus far only CH91, C74 have 2nd variation, and C74 has the third variation hence C743 not to be confused with the C823 unless 2 refers to bigger nib and 3 refers to a more bigger nib... since 823 does sport a number 15 nib same with 743

Edited by Algester

• 3 weeks later...

i have the Heritage 912 with a SFM nib and i am encountering the following problem. On my second filling, it does not fill well. The ink stays just a bit above the metal ring on the storage. it is a piston filler ( i am new to this i hope i am describing it well) so it must not be air tight! -- well, i looked around and it is a con-70... So it must be easy to re-attach if it is not pulling the ink in! ----- > I tried to pump several times but it does not fill the tube, just at the level i just said!

I don't see many people having it, like they are afraid to buyi, probably because Engeika is slow to ship. Anyway, i would like to know if i have a problem and what to do about it.

I did not have this problem on the first filling. On nib performance, soft as butter! Just the right size and soft. De-licious!

Thanks

Edited by Oldtimer

@Oldtimer - A couple of things to try:

- Make sure the converter is seated properly. The pilot converters will push in a fair bit further than a standard international converter.

- Make sure the nib is submerged completely when filling. If it's only half way in it'll sound like it's doing something, but you'll just end up with it blowing bubbles.

- Give it a light shake to make sure the rubber thing is able to move a bit. I'm not 100% sure what this does, but I'd guess if it's stuck anywhere that isn't a good thing.

- Press the button firmly and quickly. Leave 2 seconds between each press to allow it to slurp up ink before your next swift press. (this point is the most important for an easy fill with a con-70)

Hope that helps.

Thank you, @PabloAU-- (it seems you got the symbol for Aurum in your name).

I will try that, must be bad sitting! Though i have not used the pen that much, just a bit, has not been shaken, etc, seems like the right thing to be causing the failure to fill.

@Oldtimer - A couple of things to try:

- Make sure the converter is seated properly. The pilot converters will push in a fair bit further than a standard international converter.

- Make sure the nib is submerged completely when filling. If it's only half way in it'll sound like it's doing something, but you'll just end up with it blowing bubbles.

- Give it a light shake to make sure the rubber thing is able to move a bit. I'm not 100% sure what this does, but I'd guess if it's stuck anywhere that isn't a good thing.

- Press the button firmly and quickly. Leave 2 seconds between each press to allow it to slurp up ink before your next swift press. (this point is the most important for an easy fill with a con-70)

Hope that helps.

The converter goe sto a point wher it cannot be pushed anymore. I followed advice, nib inside water/ink, it diesn't fill. It does gets a bit of ink plus bubbles. The rubber thing moves a bit sometimes, others it doesn't move, gets stuck down. I think it is time to request a new converter from the seller, which i know i will not get.

Oh, and this is a NEW pen!

Ammendment:

After further research... I tapped the tube after each pressing to make sure the rubber thingy went all the way down 2) pressed slowly and ... 3) repeated (1) and (2) and each time it filled a little bit higher until it got to the top. Voila! It's a hell of a process that needs a documenting procedure! Gosh!

Edited by Lamyrada

• 2 months later...

I just got a 912 with a Falcon nib, and I love how smooth it is. The pen has a good balance. However, I was surprised by how much ink it puts out! I filled it with waterproof Platinum Carbon ink, and it took twice as long to dry compared to other pens (I noticed because when I painted over the lines with watercolor, the ink ran). I tried filling it with Iroshizuku ink, which dries very quickly, and then I didn't notice as much how much ink it puts out, but I'm guessing the output is the same. Based on how much ink is left in the converter now, I'm estimating that the Falcon nib uses twice as much ink as a conventional F or even M nib. Is this typical with FA nibs?

Edited by miatagrrl

Based on how much ink is left in the converter now, I'm estimating that the Falcon nib uses twice as much ink as a conventional F or even M nib. Is this typical with FA nibs?

Yes. Generally, any flexible nib well set up will put down a very wet line especially when flexed. If it isn't wet, you would wind up with what is known as railroading with flexing.

Yes. Generally, any flexible nib well set up will put down a very wet line especially when flexed. If it isn't wet, you would wind up with what is known as railroading with flexing.

Well, that makes sense. It's my first flexible nib, so that was a surprise! I do love the way it writes and draws, though! :D

Edited by miatagrrl

i have one with an SFA nib and i love it. The "flexibility" is not there if you compare it to a dip nib, but it is soft and it flexes, though it does not give great line variation. it is soft as butter and has more balanced weight than the Falcon, which makes it feel very good in your hands, like a solid pen. i would make it the pen of choice for business and work since i don't own very expensive pens over $200. This would be my choice because it is just businesslike.