Pilot Custom 74: Why The Price Difference?

Kuhataparunks

I once saw a sale offer for a Custom 74 EF for $90. Thinking it was a $200 pen, I excitedly jumped on the offer.

Just to confirm this was a good deal, I looked on Amazon and saw that the (opaque) black Custom 74 is $93, whereas the demonstrator is $156. (These are amazon prices.)

Clearly I am missing something here.

WHY is a solid black Custom 74 $60 cheaper than a demonstrator? Is the nib the same? I am just boggled why there's such a huge price difference; what're your opinions for this oddity?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Kuhataparunks

• PabloAU

• tendollarword

The clear Custom 74's are for the US market, where they're significantly marked up to cover import, local marketing, distribution, and profits for the distributor. The black Custom 74's, on the other hand, are sold primarily on the Japanese market and are often found below the Japanese SRP when sold online.

And are offered in nib choices hard to find outside of Japan. If you look closely, you will most likely see that the Amazon seller is in Japan.

Makes sense. Western nib sizes disgust me! Good thing I did some research on it, as I learned it does not perform well out the box. I was so excited too, it looks like a nice pen.

Edited by Kuhataparunks

The black pen looks much classier, too, IMHO.

I could not agree any more!! It's a complete violation of logic looks cheaper, yet is a lot more expensive! I'll now look and invest in a price level higher, a 200USD pen. Thanks for your insights.

and I do know that the black version has more nib options compared to the colored demo pens I have my CH91 (black) with soft medium :3 I'd say they are a bang for your buck same goes to Platinum 3776 century where the soft nibs are only found in the black

I like the heritage line and I like to soft nib BUT WE DONT HAVE A LOCAL PILOT DISTRIBUTOR IN THE PHILIPPINES ARGH... shipping is not an option for me... hence I couldnt EDC my CH91 if I wanted to

Edited by Algester

Are you saying that the Custom 74 does not function well out of the box? Or am I misreading that. The Custom 74 is one of the best stock performing modern pens out there.

Are you saying that the Custom 74 does not function well out of the box?

Yes sir, terribly sorry to offend you; I've read from several sources here and on penaddict.com that the fine and EF are scratchy and I quote "do not write on sidestrokes" out the box.

Under the section "nib & feed" in which the reviewer mentions this is a common problem for 74s: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/220775-pilot-custom-74-review/

Many sources say after tuning the nib (if it's defective to begin with) it works phenomenally, but I am by no stretch a good nib tuner, haha.

Yes sir, terribly sorry to offend you; I've read from several sources here and on penaddict.com that the fine and EF are scratchy and I quote "do not write on sidestrokes" out the box.

Under the section "nib & feed" in which the reviewer mentions this is a common problem for 74s: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/220775-pilot-custom-74-review/

Many sources say after tuning the nib (if it's defective to begin with) it works phenomenally, but I am by no stretch a good nib tuner, haha.

I remember trying out the F back when I visited Ito-ya it was fine... I have a small scrible sample of it during my quest for my CH91 but then THAT WAS A B&M store in Japan... which probably had a proper QC before wrapping it up in a plastic sleeve

Edited by Algester

Why doesn't Pilot distribute the black Custom 74 in the US anyway?

I'd have thought the classic look would sell better than the demonstrators.

Edited by tendollarword

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

Why doesn't Pilot distribute the black Custom 74 in the US anyway?

I believe there is a history of legal disputes between a certain snow-capped manufacturer and other manufacturers whose designs are perceived to be similar.

I believe there is a history of legal disputes between a certain snow-capped manufacturer and other manufacturers whose designs are perceived to be similar.

but history states that it was originally based on the sheaffer no-nonsense design... they everyone should have sued each other to death by now... since everyone has 1 pen that should look like a snow-capped manufacturer I'm not sure about the arrow having a pen that looks like a snow-cap I'm also certai that currenty the 2 knights and horses have no pens that would look like the snow cap

Edited by Algester

My favorite "copy" pen is the Hero 9315 which looks for all the world like Hero is using the Parker dies left from a government takeover..... then you look at the cap and there is a white snow cap. Interesting marketing idea, I guess.

http://penhabit.com/2014/06/19/pen-review-hero-9315/

I think the "snow cap" is supposed to be a white version of the flower logo Hero uses.

Interesting.

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

The black pen looks much classier, too, IMHO.

Perhaps this is true for the blue and orange versions, but the clear demonstrator in particular is a very classy looking pen. I have one with a Con 70 converter and it's very attractive -- doesn't look cheap in the slightest.

I guess it comes down to the definition of "classy?" :)

Perhaps this is true for the blue and orange versions, but the clear demonstrator in particular is a very classy looking pen. I have one with a Con 70 converter and it's very attractive -- doesn't look cheap in the slightest.

I guess it comes down to the definition of "classy?" :)

but the Custom line itself is "classy" to some people while some people would prefer "modern" with the Heritage line

I ordered a maroon Custom 74 with regular M nib from Rakuten, I hope these rumours about it needing tuning out of the box are not true and only cases of lemons. I might have to pay huge taxes to get my hands in it, it better be a great pen.