Charmian

Hello all!

Greetings from Sydney, Australia. I have been learning and will continue to learn about fountain pens via this lovely community. Everyone is supportive and has very good things to say! Thank you! :thumbup:

According to http://www.melbpenshow.com.au/Ant&Art_page.pdf:

"Australia has a small ‘pen population’. Fountain pen use in the UK and US equates to one in 25 to 30 of adult population. In Australia, fountain pen use equates to one in 120 of adult population. As a consequence, Australia has the smallest number of specialty pen retailers per capita, in the world. What follows is that Australians are not the modern pen manufacturers’ best friend!"

It is nice to know that there is a global community of fountain pen enthusiasts.

I'm aiming to get myself to the Melbourne Pen Show. Fingers crossed!

This newbie thanks you all! :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charmian

• dannyboy

• sean1e

• XBallardite

Good to hear from you and to know those statistics! In my part of Tennessee there are precious few places you see fountain pens. So often when I pull out my fountain pen to write a check to pay at the grocery, people stare at it and once I was asked by a clerk what it was. Oh, well, I love the opportunity to educate people to the wonderful world of writing with a fountain pen--so I have lots of opportunities in this part of the country. Hope you make it to the Melbourne Pen Show! Consider doing a write-up about it on FPN if you do get to go. Thanks for joining us at FPN.

Welcome to FPN! :D

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Hello and Welcome to FPN!!! Glad to have you as a member!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome !

What are you currently using for daily writing ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thank you for your wam welcome, everyone! :)

That's a good idea, dannyboy!

To answer Sasha Royale, I have yet to (fully) pay for my pens. I've put a deposit down for two pens and I'm in the process of an outright purchase of a Sailor 1911, which I hope to become my daily-use pen. I can't believe I've already got a wish-list of pens that I would like to own and I don't own one pen yet! I'm really a newbie.

For years and years, I've had this idea in my head to own a fountain pen. Now, I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

I love how by applying slightly more pressure, thicker lines can be created, and a Copperplate style can be achieved. But then I fear I might get too heavy-handed and permanently damage the nib. I don't know how to go about this. :unsure:

The way the ink flows onto paper from a fountain pen is gorgeous so even if I can't create thick and thin lines, I'm just looking forward to a beautiful writing instrument.

I hope my hand-writing / penmanship is worthy of a fountain pen. This feels like such a big step. I've always known I don't hold my pen properly so in the last two weeks, I've had to re-learn the correct pen-grip and practise. Oh boy. :(

Hello and welcome. I'm glad you joined us. Please don't hesitate to share your questions and opinions. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Greetings from California and a warm welcome to FPN. Glad you've joined up with us; it's great to have you here.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome to FPN! :W2FPN:

I am glad that you joined us today!

Please feel free to ask us anything about fountain pens and inks.

Please enjoy the forum,

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Hi Charmian and welcome to FPN

Penshows can be a lot of fun, so try to get there.

Be aware that modern fountainpens are often designed with the rough-handed ballpoint user in mind and have little or no flex. If you keep on trying to get flex out of these nibs you could easily end up with a sprung nib. So be careful.

Enjoy the forum

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Sean_Sankey/photo6_zpsc83eb20e.jpg

Have fun! :D

Favourite Owned Pen - Lamy Studio, Brushed Steel with either a 1.1mm italic or Black F nib

Favourite Inks - Diamine Imperial Purple, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Noodlers Bad Blue Heron, Sheaffer Skrip Red

"Planned" (!) Purchases - TWSBI Diamond 580 AL, Waterman Expert Deluxe Blue, Esterbrook J, Sheaffer Prelude, Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point, Pilot Falcon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your advice, RMN!

After more reading on FPN, I've gotten the impression that modern pens (their nibs) aren't designed in the same way that vintage/antique pen nibs are and do not have much flex. I shall take care. I'd hate to damage pen nibs.