Schrade Tactical Pen W/ Schneider Ink

artistmonk

Schrade tactical fountain pen with Schneider ink. Writing down some lyrics from my latest fave jam by Meghan Trainor "All About That Bass" http://youtu.be/7PCkvCPvDXk Keeping an upbeat vibe for the day. It's a standard cartridge. The standard converter doesn't fit because the barrel is tapered near the inside-bottom. In the meantime, it's syringe-cartridge mode.

http://i58.tinypic.com/jgqdt0.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/30k8v9z.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealScubaSteve

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• J85909266

• Last Knight

A pointy metal pen with a fullered barrel doesn't really spell "upbeat vibe" for me, but to each their own...

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 3 months later...

I have one in black. It's an incredible deal at afound 25 bucks, for what you get. It's a big, all aluminum pen with perfect construction that will last a lifetime. It does fit some converters, as well. It's also a friction fit, 6 sized nib, so I'm pretty sure it will take a Goulet nib. I have one on the way to try it out. I'll update the thread when it arrives.

If you want a rugged fountain pen that you can clip to your jeans, take anywhere and never have to worry about, this is hard to beat.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I have one in black. It's an incredible deal at afound 25 bucks, for what you get. It's a big, all aluminum pen with perfect construction that will last a lifetime. It does fit some converters, as well. It's also a friction fit, 6 sized nib, so I'm pretty sure it will take a Goulet nib. I have one on the way to try it out. I'll update the thread when it arrives.

If you want a rugged fountain pen that you can clip to your jeans, take anywhere and never have to worry about, this is hard to beat.

It does in fact, take a Goulet nib. I put a Goulet fine in mine, and it made the fountain pen usable. The IPG nib that came with it was total junk, but some buyers may be more fortunate. Most people will be judging based on a sample of one.

I had originally bought two Goulet nibs for two Ahabs. They fit one of them, but were too loose in the other, so I decided to see if the extra nib could salvage the Schrade. Curiosity satisfied, I took the fountain pen section out again, and put the pen back together with the included rollerball components. It's not a comfortable pen to write with at great length, and I like something smaller to carry in a shirt pocket. I won't use it in rollerball mode much, either, but at least I can leave it around in a pen cup and grab it occasionally.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I must be a fortunate one. My medium nib was incredibly smooth. Writes like a B on most paper, though.

http://www.4gp.tw/b043/1418398813277.jpg

Adding the Goulet Pens nib to this pen has created perfection. A rugged, handsome fountain pen with a great nib that clips to your pocket with confidence and can even be an effective last-ditch kubaton for self defense. It's a FP lover's EDC wet dream.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I must be a fortunate one. My medium nib was incredibly smooth. Writes like a B on most paper, though.

Same here, except my M writes more F-like--so that's odd...great bargain though. It's now my trusty fly-fishing field pen.

• 3 weeks later...

This pen is actually what started my journey to fountain-pen collecting; the combination of "tactical" and "fountain pen" drew me in.

Ironically, I've lost two of them; one in a park while frisbee golfing (it unscrewed from the cap and slipped out a hole in my pocket), the other at a party right after the host's girlfriend complimented it. In replacing it a third time, I also rounded up some Jinhao and Hero pens, and I've been hooked since. :)

Currently I have one of the brown ones, and the nib is very smooth - writes more like a bold - but very wet, especially when I'm using bottled inks (Noodler's Heart of Darkness is my usual go-to black ink, but I have entirely too many issues with bleeding and smearing from this pen). I haven't had any issues with converters - I have a cheapie three-pack of screw type converters I ordered from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FCLMTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that worked just fine with it, as well as a Monteverde mini-converter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DK5PQC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I picked up after reading a review that said regular sized converters wouldn't work... should have tested that first. Anyway, both types have worked just fine, but the ink flow tends to be a little much - whereas loaded with cartridges (right now I have it filled with Private Reserve Velvet Black) it's a bit more manageable.

As an aside, I'm a fairly large gentleman with equally large hands - this pen fits me very well, and I write quite comfortably with it.

I've hung onto my current one for about six months now, and I'm hoping to keep it this time. Wish me luck! -_-

Okay, I give, what is a "tactical" fountain pen? I did not see the answer in the above posts.

Okay, I give, what is a "tactical" fountain pen? I did not see the answer in the above posts.

It has a point on the end and is marketed as a defensive "weapon," like many "tactical" ballpoints. IMG_20150102_232333.jpgIMG_20150102_232341.jpg

I dropped it on my ankle once. It hurt.

If given proper motivation, I imagine someone could do quite a bit of damage with one of these...

For sure, People on YouTube like to do "torture tests" on the b#l&@$*nt versions on various objects.

It has a point on the end and is marketed as a defensive "weapon," like many "tactical" ballpoints. IMG_20150102_232333.jpgIMG_20150102_232341.jpg

So all those years in school I was actually had a Tactical #2 pencil, cool!!!

• 2 months later...

They are pretty neat. For 25 bucks you a fountain pen / ball point pen. You get ink cartridges and one ball point ink refill. It doesn't come with a converter. The Monteverde mini converter will fit. Buy a 150 dollar gold Edison nib and now you have some thing

This is what all the different pieces look like

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love mine.

Liives in my suitcase.

Any one take one on a plane?

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

I love mine.

Liives in my suitcase.

Any one take one on a plane?

I haven't tried that yet but I did get mine confiscated going through security screening when I had jury duty in Harris county. They did give it back to me on my way out.