Any Faber-Castell Fans?

a.zy.lee

I really love the oak Ondoro! I don't have it, but I hope to get it soon. Isn't the grip on that metal as well? I think it's chrome plated. Anyway, a question that I've been wondering about, is the oak Ondoro heavy?

Thanks

the grip is metal but the shape ensures that it won't be slippery at all. It's actually one of the most comfortable pens I've ever used. It's not very heavy either, I think it's perfectly balanced.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a.zy.lee

• jar

• Algester

• ink-syringe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is actually a difference between resin intuition and platino intuition. Originally I wanted to settle for the former but having tried both--and across different nib widths for each--I settled for a M platino intuition. The difference, while not profound, is sufficient to warrant a nearly 2x price difference. I suppose it has to do with a larger feed, a pen of the year size nib and also the substantial heft of the platino model. All these factors come together to make that x factor for the platino. I have to say it is also my least ink-type fussy pen; it goes well with almost any ink I throw at it and writes equally well for all.

AAA

Are Faber Castell manufactured in Black Forrest, Germany

According to Wikipedia, they're manufactured in Germany, Brazil and Malaysia.

Don't know about Black Forest, though. Their high end stuff are made in Germany.

Can someone suggest where I can buy the Faber Castell Pens in India (preferably Bangalore)? SnapDeal carries them, I want to know if there are any other retail stores where I can buy them.

Gosh, these Faber Castell pens look awesome. I'm happy they just began distributing their fountain pens locally here in the Philippines last month. The ondoro pens looks pretty interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone suggest where I can buy the Faber Castell Pens in India (preferably Bangalore)? SnapDeal carries them, I want to know if there are any other retail stores where I can buy them.

It appears that in India Faber Castell keep changing their distributors and outlets. You see them at one place and suddenly in a short period it vanishes. I have seen FB pens sold at Crossowrd, Landmark etc but for short periods. William Penn do not keep them, so your only hope keep looking for it, you bump into one outlet.

pbhat

They look quite nice and I've heard good things about the nibs however I was close to buying a basic however I've read quite a few reports on cracking issues. Also I was close to buying an Ondoro at some point however ended up with an M200 which I love.

I like the look of the wood Ondoro and Ambition in Coconut however they cost close to £100 which gets you a gold nib from a number of manufactures. I think if these wood finished pens were a little cheaper e.g. £60 for the Ambition in Coconut and £75 for the Ondoro Oak I would try one.

They look quite nice and I've heard good things about the nibs however I was close to buying a basic however I've read quite a few reports on cracking issues. Also I was close to buying an Ondoro at some point however ended up with an M200 which I love.

I like the look of the wood Ondoro and Ambition in Coconut however they cost close to £100 which gets you a gold nib from a number of manufactures. I think if these wood finished pens were a little cheaper e.g. £60 for the Ambition in Coconut and £75 for the Ondoro Oak I would try one.

You may know this, but there is an Ambition made from pearwood for £67. There's also dark and regular pearwood options for the E-Motion for the same price.

• 1 month later...

Junk stuff did you get an ondoro for Christmas? If so is the nib unit compatible with the ambitions?

I decided to go for the Lamy 2000 instead, due to the gold nib and lower price. But yes, the Ondoro nibs are compatible with the Ambition. All the pens from the "Design" range use the same nib unit.

So that's my debate currently a lamy 2000 vs oak ondoro. If they were theoretically the same price and you could transfer a great faber castell nib from previous pen to the ondoro would you still go with the 2000?

Is the stock lamy 2000 nib really any better than the faber castell?

Thanks

So that's my debate currently a lamy 2000 vs oak ondoro. If they were theoretically the same price and you could transfer a great faber castell nib from previous pen to the ondoro would you still go with the 2000?

Is the stock lamy 2000 nib really any better than the faber castell?

Thanks

Actually, come to think of it, price wasn't even a factor! Both were around $160.

Here's what made me choose the Lamy 2000 over the Faber-Castell Ondoro: piston filler, gold nib (never had a gold nib before), better status, more consistent flow, wetter nib, softer nib, I preferred the design.

It was a no-brainer for me when I discovered I could buy the 2000 or $160 instead of the UK £150.

The flow on the Faber-Castell medium isn't wet enough for me. The nib also gets slightly drier after a paragraph or so of writing.

The smoothness on the 2000 is outstanding. Way, way, smoother than the Faber-Castell, not that the Faber-Castell is scratchy. Both are mediums.

This is a Faber-Castell Praise topic and it sounds like I'm hating on them...

Edited by junkstuff

Anyone out there dump their lamy 2000 for a faber castell?

Difficult, as the Faber Castells are all in a lower price class.

But perhaps I would exchange my 2000 for a Graf von Faber Castell Tamitio? Should try the Tamitio before, though.

Point is I'm not fond of metal sections so many FCs and CdAs are out of the question.

Only FC made pen I have is the Porsche Design Tecflex. Which is a nice enough pen.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Much upon Jar's like-affair with GvFC, I bought one for myself...the Intuition. I had a Loom and have an FC steel nib in a custom pen. Yeah, I'm a fan. Love them.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Much upon Jar's like-affair with GvFC, I bought one for myself...the Intuition. I had a Loom and have an FC steel nib in a custom pen. Yeah, I'm a fan. Love them.

Did you get the wood version?

Did you get the wood version?

I have both a wood and resin version of the Intuition and pretty much prefer the resin. On the downside it has a smaller nib and is slightly smaller than the wood version but it just feels right in my hands. I like both but have found the resin Intuition getting far more pocket time than the wood one.

http://www.fototime.com/40849B8FBA70B8D/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/09EBE18E95219D2/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/F69F50F248ED7E3/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A8E60FA3CE9FAC7/medium800.jpg