Any Faber-Castell Fans?

a.zy.lee

I have two of them, a GvFC Intuition Terracotta and a FC Ondoro Smoked Oak. I find both excellently made and finished and quite comfortable to use. Smooth and very wet nibs, they bring out the real character of the inks I use, but they need good paper. First opportunity I get, I am getting an orange Ondoro and seriously considering an Intuition Platino. I think I like them.

Gistar

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a.zy.lee

• jar

• Algester

• Bold2013

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have several faber-castell fountain pens--two pernambucos, one guilloche in black, an ondoro, an e-motion--and i think the world of the brand in terms of quality. great nibs, very fine materials. love the crowned cap. some people dislike the metal sections but it's no big deal for me.

for the longest time i lusted after the pernambuco. was very happy to get my first one, even happier to get the second (which has joined my roster of daily writers). the icing on the cake is that i got both pernambucos on ebay for just $200 each, way below retail. how can you not like such a magnificent pen?

3080069998_616cd9405c_z.jpg

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

i have several faber-castell fountain pens--two pernambucos, one guilloche in black, an ondoro, an e-motion--and i think the world of the brand in terms of quality. great nibs, very fine materials. love the crowned cap. some people dislike the metal sections but it's no big deal for me.

for the longest time i lusted after the pernambuco. was very happy to get my first one, even happier to get the second (which has joined my roster of daily writers). the icing on the cake is that i got both pernambucos on ebay for just $200 each, way below retail. how can you not like such a magnificent pen?

3080069998_616cd9405c_z.jpg

Everytime I see a photo of a GvFC Classic, I think it looks really magnificent. But I just can't get over how disappointing it was when I saw one in person.

Well, good for you! You've got TWO Pernambuco Classics!

We'll the ambition is an awesome pen. It's classy looking, good balance/length and a smooth writer. No problem holding the barrel as a section. The only thing I would improve is diameter which means if I win the lottery I would get a smoked oak onodoro.

I have always been a huge fan of their mechanical and colored pencils. I am just now getting into the fountain pens. I may have had some when I was a kid back in the 60s but they are long gone. I was a pen fanatic, especially fountain pens. I loved that they were made in Germany.

The smoked oak Ondoro is way more popular than I thought it was! There's so many of us that long for it! I have my fingers crossed for Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Two new special edition Ambitions were just released! The styles are called 'sand' and 'black sand'

This is the Black Sand version:

post-110643-0-52233900-1412284220_thumb.jpg

The smoked oak Onodoro would be awesome but is far more expensive than the other faber castells. Algester is the ambition comfortable to write with unposted?

best unposted since it does become back heavy if your not accustomed to the feel of the pen but for me both works

I have an Oak Ondoro with a Fine nib which I would classify as on of my favourite pens to use. It is a beautiful simple clean design, extremely well made and the nib is so smooth and satisfying to write with. My other Faber-Castell is an eMotion with a Medium nib, a tad on the heavy side but in use it is a really smooth writer and again flawlessly made. This is my four pence worth in answer to the original question.

Why is it necessary to go off topic and blather on about GvFC other than to brag about a more costly company that does not produce a far superior pen than the F-C company. We can all do that, I have pens from the supposedly top European makers, pens from the UK, pens from Japan and wonderful humble ebonite pens from India. All my thirty or so pens were chosen for clean design and the ability to write and thereby give me satisfaction when using and also handling. No adornments and 'bling" for me.

Fountain Pen satisfaction is the joining together of nib ,ink and paper to suit the writing size and speed of the user yielding a pleasurable experience. Money and price do not guarantee this, from many humble pens great words can flow.

Try sourcing a Worther Compact pen, cheap, well made and a beautiful design. It could easily be mistaken for an 'APPLE" product with its smooth minimalist design. The nib is smooth and when I return to mine in rotation it still fills me with the satisfaction that I got on first using it. It fulfils all my criteria for a fountain pen at little cost,and I bought this pen on its design alone !

UK Forester

I like the brand a lot but I think that if I buy a pen from them it is going to be a Graf voin Faber Castell Intuition. Crafstmanship and Workmanship are just outstanding

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have an e-motion and GVFC classic - the classic which I'm selling. The classic feels like a great pen and it's hard to sell it right away (I've accumulated too many pens too quickly and need to pick some winners and losers) - I won't feel bad if I don't find a buyer because the really like the unposted balance (platinum GVFC). I also feel GVFC design hits the modern classic styling perfectly.

I am a little confused that they don't do piston filling in their upper end pens. It seems like they would compete much better with some other German pens at the price point if they did.

Georges--I concur. The GvFC intuition platino wood I use--daily now!--is excellent in every way. I can almost say it has been the best pen out of the box. Every part of this pen, from its filling mechanism, finishing, nib tactility, ergonomics, etc, is excellent and is the pinnacle of product quality for fountain pens. It is not cheap; but so are certain pens at this price range but which fare worse, much worse, in all these categories. With this pen you feel like you have got a flagship pen that will outlast one's writerly hands! Perhaps the only criticism I would level at this pen is that the nib lacks the flair of a very good Omas nib. It is good and soft, perfect for everyday writing--just not the very best. To be candid, I think for GvFC, one pays more for the product quality per dollar than the image or the brand.

I used to think piston filler is the way to go for 'big' or flagship pens but I have changed my stance. I think a converter pen is just as good, especially for traveling. The intuition platino has a nice feature whereby the barrel tapers down to the holding position of the pen, which is very nice and loses that segmented 'holding section' design that has been way too normalized. It is a nice size, and I like to call mine, the ink 'chalk'.

AAA

Georges--I concur. The GvFC intuition platino wood I use--daily now!--is excellent in every way. I can almost say it has been the best pen out of the box. Every part of this pen, from its filling mechanism, finishing, nib tactility, ergonomics, etc, is excellent and is the pinnacle of product quality for fountain pens. It is not cheap; but so are certain pens at this price range but which fare worse, much worse, in all these categories. With this pen you feel like you have got a flagship pen that will outlast one's writerly hands! Perhaps the only criticism I would level at this pen is that the nib lacks the flair of a very good Omas nib. It is good and soft, perfect for everyday writing--just not the very best. To be candid, I think for GvFC, one pays more for the product quality per dollar than the image or the brand.

I used to think piston filler is the way to go for 'big' or flagship pens but I have changed my stance. I think a converter pen is just as good, especially for traveling. The intuition platino has a nice feature whereby the barrel tapers down to the holding position of the pen, which is very nice and loses that segmented 'holding section' design that has been way too normalized. It is a nice size, and I like to call mine, the ink 'chalk'.

Regular resin and the wood Intuitions.

http://www.fototime.com/40849B8FBA70B8D/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/09EBE18E95219D2/medium800.jpg

My Website

I love my Oak Ondoro, and I love FC customer service in the stores. Took mine to buy a new nib because I destroyed mine trying to tune it. And the FC guy told me he could swap it. I told him that I wanted to buy it because I damaged it and he told me don´t worry is the company policy and exchange it. That is soooo great and changed the F for an M (and it is stubby out of the box) and the pen has a different balance, it no longer has a strong attack to the paper, it is more cushioned, if you get it.

The big fat wood Intuition is on my wish list.

I love my Oak Ondoro, and I love FC customer service in the stores.

+1 on the Oak Ondoro

& + 1 on the FC customer service. Above and beyond. The best I have experienced by far. They also seem to have very good QC.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Regular resin and the wood Intuitions.

http://www.fototime.com/40849B8FBA70B8D/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/09EBE18E95219D2/medium800.jpg

That nib on the wood Intuition is beautiful! I love the gold accent on the edge, and I also like large, visible feeds.

Does it write as good as it looks?

That nib on the wood Intuition is beautiful! I love the gold accent on the edge, and I also like large, visible feeds.

Does it write as good as it looks?

Maybe even better. It is a big, wet, juicy, soft and slightly stubbish OM 18K jewel that seems to love any ink I offer.

My Website

Smoked oak Ondoro owner here... very happy! :)

Is the oak barrel coarse on the hands, or is it smooth? Edited by a.zy.lee

Smooth. Pen feels great in the hand. Kind of tight grain on the wood. Nice to have pen that is not cold hard metal or plastic.

And oddly rustic offering from F-C. But I like it. Really solid design.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version