Lamy Studio: Good For Long Writing Sessions?

intentionalist

Hello all,

I'm thinking about going in for a LAMY Studio. Some folks on FPN, and some reviewers (such as the "Awesome Review" of the Studio over at FP Geeks), report that the Studio (their Studios, rather) dry out after a page and a half of writing. My question:

Is this a "chronic problem" with the Studio or an unlikely defect that can easily be rectified via Lamy's customer support?

I'd be very interested to hear about people's (good or bad) experiences with the Studio, especially for long writing sessions. Many on FPN have written about the pen, but I have not found much explicitly about how the pen fares for longer writing sessions.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• intentionalist

• RJS

• A Smug Dill

• N1003U

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Addendum: I have tried the Safari, but do not care for its triangular grip. I like a fat wet line when I write. I like thick heavy pens. All these things recommend the Studio to me. I'm just anxious about its performance over long sessions. :)

I use a gold nib Studio sometimes for long writing sessions. It's a remarkable pen, very well balanced IMO, with some significant weight (I like). A feature I really love with the pen is that it does post very well and securely. The pen is tfen reply long and still very well balanced.

Does it become dryer after some time of writing? Sometimes depending a lot of the ink. With a wet enough ink there is really no problem... with the one I am using of course. My only complain is it's a c/c.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

@Namo: Thanks for your reply! Yes: the weight and size of the pen are very appealing to me. Hey, how do you think your Studio performs with Noodler's inks, such as Black, Blue-Black, or Heart of Darkness?

Sometimes surface tension of the ink in the converter traps the ink in the back of the converter, and the pen stops writing when all the ink in the feed is used up. All it needs is a tap to get the air bubble to the end of the converter, and the ink to the front of the converter where it belongs. I have to do this regularly with my Lamy joy and Sheaffer ink. My cp1 with Waterman ink does not have this problem, so the surface tension problem is probably related to specific inks.

This is not anything that Lamy customer support can do anything about.

It is also not restricted to Lamy, it happens to some of my other pen brands as well.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sometimes surface tension of the ink in the converter traps the ink in the back of the converter, and the pen stops writing when all the ink in the feed is used up. All it needs is a tap to get the air bubble to the end of the converter, and the ink to the front of the converter where it belongs. I have to do this regularly with my Lamy joy and Sheaffer ink. My cp1 with Waterman ink does not have this problem, so the surface tension problem is probably related to specific inks.

This is not anything that Lamy customer support can do anything about.

It is also not restricted to Lamy, it happens to some of my other pen brands as well.

@ac12: Oh, thanks for the tip! I'm still new to fountain pens in general, and insight about ink-converter dynamics is really interesting to me. If it's just a matter of a gentle tap, I don't see it as any great drawback. My assumption in reading reviews of the Studio was that it was something having to do with the construction of the pen, not something common to all converters.

In any case, it seems that the surface tension issue can be resolved anyway by using and re-using a cartridge.

I've never had a problem with mine drying out while writing, over the course of a partial page or multiple pages. And that's writing in a dry climate with the AC blowing right down on my desk. I like the way the Studio handles, and it does get you away from the Safari grip.

As for ink, I know mine seemed at home with Diamine Oxblood; and I've used a lot of Noodler's in other Lamy pens, mostly AL-Stars and Safaris. Haven't used Black, Blue-Black or Heart of Darkness in them...but they do well with Apache Sunset, Lexington Grey, among others.

I've never had a problem with mine drying out while writing, over the course of a partial page or multiple pages. And that's writing in a dry climate with the AC blowing right down on my desk. I like the way the Studio handles, and it does get you away from the Safari grip.

As for ink, I know mine seemed at home with Diamine Oxblood; and I've used a lot of Noodler's in other Lamy pens, mostly AL-Stars and Safaris. Haven't used Black, Blue-Black or Heart of Darkness in them...but they do well with Apache Sunset, Lexington Grey, among others.

Very helpful--and reassuring! Thanks F104!

I've been getting such good responses to all my queries. My next pen, I'm writing a review. Gotta start giving back to you all.

My 2 studios have no problems with long writing sessions. They also take Noodler's inks just fine. Just have good pen hygiene (clean out completely every few weeks, don't mix inks, floss nib tines, etc) and you'll be just fine.

I am actually planning on selling my studios to fund a grail pen and will contact you PM to see if you're interested.

My 2 studios have no problems with long writing sessions. They also take Noodler's inks just fine. Just have good pen hygiene (clean out completely every few weeks, don't mix inks, floss nib tines, etc) and you'll be just fine.

I am actually planning on selling my studios to fund a grail pen and will contact you PM to see if you're interested.

If your Studios are tried and true for long writing sessions, I would indeed be an interested buyer. Especially since you seem to practice good pen hygiene. :) Let me know!

FYI, Pen Chalet has a sale on Studios right now - I just picked up the Imperial Blue for under $80. The brushed stainless is $72. (No affiliation - just a happy customer.)

@Namo: Thanks for your reply! Yes: the weight and size of the pen are very appealing to me. Hey, how do you think your Studio performs with Noodler's inks, such as Black, Blue-Black, or Heart of Darkness?

I've tried Black and HofD, both worked very well. But you have to remember that they are demanding inks in term of cleaning. As long as you clean your pen every 10 converters (about) you should have no problem at all. And once again: my experience is limited to one Studio, so it's impossible to deduce anything general.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I've tried Black and HofD, both worked very well. But you have to remember that they are demanding inks in term of cleaning. As long as you clean your pen every 10 converters (about) you should have no problem at all. And once again: my experience is limited to one Studio, so it's impossible to deduce anything general.

Thanks--very helpful. It's very good to keep the cautionary note in mind. :)

used my gold nib studio yesterday to take notes during an interview. So 90 minutes of high spead writing, filling 12 pages. Perfect job. Just filling up the lamy again for the next interview in a few hours

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

used my gold nib studio yesterday to take notes during an interview. So 90 minutes of high spead writing, filling 12 pages. Perfect job. Just filling up the lamy again for the next interview in a few hours

now that's workhorse

One comment about weight.

I find that a heavy pens makes my hand tired when I write for a long time.

I would rather use a lighter pen for LONG writing sessions.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

One comment about weight.

I find that a heavy pens makes my hand tired when I write for a long time.

I would rather use a lighter pen for LONG writing sessions.

Good looking out. I'm more concerned with ink flow over 5-6 pages, but weight should definitely be taken into consideration. I do love heavy pens, but for those longer sessions perhaps the Ahab is a better ticket.

I only wish they made Safaris with rounded sections!

Update:

So I ended up purchasing the Studio this afternoon. I went with the imperial blue model, with a Medium nib. I filled her up with Noodler's Old Manhattan. So far, the pen writes very well--no ink flow over the five pages I have just written. (I hope that helps anyone who is searching through FPN looking for more information re: Studio ink-flow.)

I do notice that the nib of the pen is making some creaky "distressed" sounds. I've never had a LAMY before; I wonder if that is normal as the nib is getting "worn in."

Many report that LAMY Mediums are closer to Broads; I, for one, do not find that to be the case. My lines look rather fine, at least to me, and are not all that wet. Perhaps this is because the pen is brand new and I did not flush it before filling it up with Old Manhattan. Or maybe it's because Old Manhattan is not a "wet" enough ink. Or maybe Rhodia is just an unfriendly paper for my the way I write (I am left-handed). This early, there are a number of factors.

The reason I went for the Studio is because I wanted a durable, reliable, everyday work/warhorse. One that is not a piston-filler (my experience with TWSBI has been, well, deflating) and that allows for nib-interchange. I hope the Studio rises to the challenge!

Congrats on your purchase. The imperial blue is a gorgeous colour. I have had one of my safaris make a faint creaky sound when the nib comes down on the page with a little bit of pressure as it pulls up from the feed. So long as the nib is slotted on securely you're all good, no cause for alarm. I haven't used that pen for a while, so not 100% sure if it's something that diminished with time, different inks etc.

• 6 years later...

I was curious what others made of this pen. I've owned one for a month or two now- I picked it up roughly half price. I think it looks great and writes well, but I don't get on well with the grip section. The angle of the section combined with the slipperiness of the chrome, the fairly hefty weight, and my inclination to grip lightly, do not combine well. I find it uncomfortable to write with after about a third of a page. I'm tempted to put some masking tape over the chrome. 😆