J.g. Rider Variations

Apothic

Hey Guys/Gals,

I love these pens and wanted to show some of the J.G. Rider pen variations. Lets see if we can spark up some convo for us JG Lovers.

post-96011-0-67559300-1409009380_thumb.jpg

post-96011-0-14149600-1409009399_thumb.jpg

post-96011-0-79809800-1409009412_thumb.jpg

post-96011-0-76666200-1409009424_thumb.jpg

- 3 are BHR

- 1 MRHR

- 1 is a Wood Grained RHR

The only one from Rockford ILL. pictured is the "Perfection Pen"

Mr. Rider must've liked a big pen.

www.pen-deco.com

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen2paper

• Apothic

• Redleg05

• Roger W.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no ignition spark necessary... just sitting quietly, waiting, hoping, for these gems to arrive, when ever folks are able to do so.

Thanks!

PM me, I may have one I can let go.

www.pen-deco.com

Bump

JG Rider Pen Co. Used bicycle spokes for their clips. The company eventually evolved into a hobby shop franchise. Some still exist, one in Grand Rapids, MI.

I know there are JGR fans out there.

Of the pens I posted above all the "My Master" pen are marked Ann Arbor MI and the "Perfection pen" is marked Rockford ILL, which would make the older pen of the bunch.

Notice the two RHR pen section differences.

www.pen-deco.com

bicycle spokes! first I've heard of this.. reasonable as cycling was huge during this era... the first paved road in Michigan was in fact not due to the automotive world but the cyclist movement.

Do you know Rider's source for the spokes?

Here's the patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/US919244

Early Rider IL business info:

American Stationer volume 65

Edited by pen2paper

As we know elsewhere the large clip on Apothic's pen is a reproduction done to scale of the patent. I do happen to own a MasterPen as I live right outside of Rockford (but these things ain't falling from the trees even around here). I've seen quite a number of Riders in a Chicago collection. Nice pens. I don't think Rider ever had that much capital as he put up patents which included pending patents that were never approved for his part with cash from a couple other partners. I'm actually missing the nib on this one.

Roger W.

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/Rider-MasterPen.jpg

What a beauty, Roger. Thanks for commenting. Yes, that's a reproduction that I did according to the patent. Most of the JGRs that I've come across don't have their nibs. A couple of mine have come with Warranted nibs. I talked with a guy a long time ago about the possibility of some Rider pens being distributed with sourced nibs. This is NOT confirmed, but rather a thought. Have you ever heard anything? Maybe J.g. Rider didn't always make his own nibs... possibly.

www.pen-deco.com

What a beauty, Roger. Thanks for commenting. Yes, that's a reproduction that I did according to the patent. Most of the JGRs that I've come across don't have their nibs. A couple of mine have come with Warranted nibs. I talked with a guy a long time ago about the possibility of some Rider pens being distributed with sourced nibs. This is NOT confirmed, but rather a thought. Have you ever heard anything? Maybe J.g. Rider didn't always make his own nibs... possibly.

Let me ask the museum curate up here as to what nibs their Riders have as I have no feel for it. Eclipses often have warranted nibs for instance but, I don't know if Rider always sourced theirs as stamped for them. I would be pretty certain that they did not have their own nib production. The third and last patent that I have was applied for on November 8, 1915 and JG was still then in Rockford. By Illinois' 1925 annual report JG was in Ann Arbor. I don't find that I have the incorporation papers scanned - they are around here somewhere. Downtown Rockford looks to have been revamped in the 1960's so there is no trace of the original factory.

Roger W.

I with you on that Roger. Hey, I know there are a few articles floating around as why the manufacturing was moved to Ann Arbor MI. I think one I read says tornado but I've heard a fire as well. I wonder if it's a sure thing that some kind disaster struck... Why the move? I was surprised that information on JGR isn't very readily available in the PCA archive. Maybe I'm search incorrectly.

www.pen-deco.com

I with you on that Roger. Hey, I know there are a few articles floating around as why the manufacturing was moved to Ann Arbor MI. I think one I read says tornado but I've heard a fire as well. I wonder if it's a sure thing that some kind disaster struck... Why the move? I was surprised that information on JGR isn't very readily available in the PCA archive. Maybe I'm search incorrectly.

No, I'm sure Rider info is hard to come by - too small of a manufacturer. It's like looking for info on Boston Fountain Pen Company. Important due to being the pen Wahl bought to add to its pencils but, not a whole lot out there on it. They say you could write for a catalog but, I've never seen one. The contrast is fun with my other big pen Sheaffer - loads of info out there but, there are holes all the same.

Roger W.

not sure where I saw this, but fairly sure I recall that there were a few documents held at U of M.. likely business shift/patent information

there were a few relatives still living a few years back, in the MI region, you might wish to pursue that, and whether they kept any personal papers from the pen development era - business shifts to stationary supply, to hobby shops. American Stationer via google books can give business dates, and advertisements.

Others have gone the route of searching legals through law library and court documents.

Somehow i had the notion that the move was due to separating from Rockford facility..

Hope this is more helpful than misleading.

This has been a very useful topic for me, thank you !!!

I loved the pen I bought it but did not know anything about the brand, with your answers I am learning...

It measures 15 cm capped, the nib says THE J.G.RIDER PEN CO. Rockford, Ill. 8

Edited by Azuniga

Rider is one of the few brands where the big, MHR pens are more common (or rather, less rare) than the small, BHR pens. Ditto for the nibs: the small nibs are very hard to find indeed. I don't have any special expertise in Rider pens, but I do know that collectors regard warranted nibs as replacements, whether rightly or wrongly.

• 1 year later...

Rider is one of the few brands where the big, MHR pens are more common (or rather, less rare) than the small, BHR pens. Ditto for the nibs: the small nibs are very hard to find indeed. I don't have any special expertise in Rider pens, but I do know that collectors regard warranted nibs as replacements, whether rightly or wrongly.

One thought on this: Considering the importance of the nib fit for their pens, a perfect fit being required to prevent ink leakage and/or the feed falling out during writing, I'd think that JG Rider would be pretty compulsive about having their pens fit only with their own specified nibs to prevent customer complaints. I'd be surprised if they would warrantee any pen with a non-Rider nib, or fit their pens with generic warranted nibs that they could not confirm to be their own.

Just my 2¢

• 2 months later...

Greetings all,

When you least expect it, you find yourself drawn into an unexpected enventure.

Somebody handed me this pen and said, "you're into pens, here you can have this one."

It was obviously a nice old hard rubber pen, but it was only over the next few days that I realized what it was....

A J D Rider, with original nib and feed. OMG, the more I looked at this pen the more I realized how gorgeous it is.

The feed popped right out and the nib is cracked. No tipping, but it looks like it was originally made that way.

Oh, what a feed! I am amazed,

And it is missing the cap.

It has a lot of similarities to Patrick Lasher's pen. (second from the right) who started this post.

Except it is more of a mottled red / black hard rubber rather than wood grain.

BTW, Thank you Patrick, what a beautiful collection!, thanks for posting.

So now my mission now is to find or manufacture a replacement cap.

The cap and clip are within my skill set, and there is excellent documentation and photographs to guide the design.

One problem I see is that matching the mix of red black will be tricky and another problem is that it is a very large cap, and finding a chunk of material, i.e. another old cap to remachine, will be difficult.

I might make a temporary cap from black hard rubber, to be a place holder until I find a better replacement option.

The nib will be sent off to a qualified craftsman to repair the crack.

And her it is.....

rider%201-X2.jpg

Feed%20and%20nib-XL.jpg

Mark

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg

I certainly wasn't expecting a J.G. post today :)

This would have been an interesting inquiry for the Chicago show attendees. (two of the above).

You have three of the essential parts. If you can work HR don't see why you couldn't also fabricate the spoke per patent like PL.

Can anyone confirm if the nib of this pen was tipped or is mine ground down?

Thanks

http://www.maryhatay.com/Mark/Fountain-Pens/Mixed-Pens/i-qv5h3mN/0/O/atramentum%20Digitis%20small.jpg