Show Off Your Writing With A Binder Stub Or Ci ?

benincanada

I am looking to get a Binder stub or cursive italic for a Pelikan or a VP I have. I am debating the size. If you have a Binder 0.6mm stub, a 0.8mm stub, one of the cursive italics, or even a crisp italic (which I don't think I will get as I want a smoother writing experience) and have a writing sample you want to show off, I'd be very grateful!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• benincanada

• OcalaFlGuy

• Lou Erickson

• tinysnail

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You do realize that Binder's website has writing samples of all of his grinds?

Yes but the sizes aren't standardized. Looking to see some "in the wild" and read people's experience too

I won't be entering any penmanship contests but these two photos should be helpful. The pen is a Pelikan M215 with a Binder .5mm cursive italic. The ink is Aurora Blue. The A4 Moleskine Folio has 6mm ruling, which is quite narrow but, as you can see, the writing comfortably fits between the lines. The Rhodia N° 18 ruling is a luxurious 7mm.

fpn_1408850889__fountain_pens_073_jpeg.j

fpn_1408850927__fountain_pens_077_jpeg.j

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

One area where I think Richard Particularly excels is his ability to grind a CI with Maximum line variation that Also still has Maximum smoothness.

Some people will tell you that you have to sacrifice some smoothness to get Nice line variation. That may be the textbook answer but not so much in real life. The Imperial above is testimony to that.

I only half joke in saying that writing with it is like juggling straight razors. You can Still Feel that the sharpness is there but it just never, ever, never ever catches an edge. You Aren't Supposed to Be Able to grind a nib like that. However, when asked to, I'm convinced Richard gets a little extra glint in his eyes knowing that He Can do just That.

I myself generally prefer Mike Masuyama's rounded CI that is more Stublike but still with good line variation. But, if I wanted the Maximum line variation with also the Maximum amount of smoothness, IMO, Richard is The Man for that.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Here's a .6mm stub.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/Binder6mmStub001_zps69c621f1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/Binder6mmStub002_zps6e6cb7b2.jpg

Taken from another thread...

14617419802_1bd8b5fc6a_c.jpg

What a strange world we live in, where people communicate by text more than ever before, yet the art of proper handwriting is seen as a thing from the past.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

One area where I think Richard Particularly excels is his ability to grind a CI with Maximum line variation that Also still has Maximum smoothness.

Some people will tell you that you have to sacrifice some smoothness to get Nice line variation. That may be the textbook answer but not so much in real life. The Imperial above is testimony to that.

I only half joke in saying that writing with it is like juggling straight razors. You can Still Feel that the sharpness is there but it just never, ever, never ever catches an edge. You Aren't Supposed to Be Able to grind a nib like that. However, when asked to, I'm convinced Richard gets a little extra glint in his eyes knowing that He Can do just That.

I myself generally prefer Mike Masuyama's rounded CI that is more Stublike but still with good line variation. But, if I wanted the Maximum line variation with also the Maximum amount of smoothness, IMO, Richard is The Man for that.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thank you Bruce!

I think a stub, but I'm considering a Cursive Italic based on what Bruce said about Binder being able to get smoothness from them

Glad to hear you're going for it. I love mine, even though I just got it and haven't had a lot of time to play with it and am still adjusting to the nib and angle to get the best line variation. The 18k gold nib on the Pilot VP is really springy, and I just realized tonight that the tines are actually spreading a bit with what I thought was normal writing pressure--e.g., what I usually consider none. I think I actually tend to press down a bit on this nib because I'm not used to it yet and I'm holding it too tight or ... something.

At any rate, when I deliberately tried to use zero pressure I got a very smooth nib and ​excellent line variation. I'm still not sure I'm holding the pen at the correct angle, but I'm really pleased with the results. (I'm using a right-oblique cursive italic to compensate for the angle I hold my hand at when I write--a normal CI should show the same variation.)
So allow me to inflict my terrible handwriting on you Here's a photo.

Bv2S9J6CQAAokl8.jpg

Edited by johntdavis

Maybe a little presumptuous of me, but what the heck. I have two Binder left oblique cursive italics, a 0.9 mm Pelikan, and a .7 mm Vanishing Point. I don't want to ink the Pelikan right now, although I can write fairly smoothly and quickly with it. The VP is smooth enough if I go slowly, but is a little harder to maintain a good angle with (for me). Still, here goes.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/mapn/Demo/LOCI3_zps276f804b.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bruce, that pen is absolutely beautiful. Clearly one of maybe two or three pens which should be considered iconic of our obsession!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Egh... Thanks guys, now I'm even more bummed that my 0.6 stub VP is being held hostage by customs. Unfortunately, they haven't send out a demand for ransom yet...

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Nib%2Bcomparison004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 0.6mm stub, and an Extra Fine, both Pelikan M200 nibs, off of Richard's site. Writing samples to follow next week upon receipt. Thanks everyone for your input!