Timbo999

Hello!

The safari and Al-star are actually a little different. The grip section seems to be the same but the barrels are different (just my luck). If you notice the black plastic washer that spaces the grip and the barrel on the safari, well that washer is actually integrated into the Al-star body.

So, my barrel design will only work with a safari.

As for my vista, unfortunately I can't photograph it. All four are now in the post! Sorry!

As for packaging. I hope it's up to standard. They seem to be well protected.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• Timbo999

• alc3261

• soapytwist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello!

The safari and Al-star are actually a little different. The grip section seems to be the same but the barrels are different (just my luck). If you notice the black plastic washer that spaces the grip and the barrel on the safari, well that washer is actually integrated into the Al-star body.

So, my barrel design will only work with a safari.

As for my vista, unfortunately I can't photograph it. All four are now in the post! Sorry!

As for packaging. I hope it's up to standard. They seem to be well protected.

I thought it might be the O-ring that was the culprit. Oh well, Safari/Vista gives us plenty of choices . Or, I imagine you could buy the right sized O-ring to fill the gap if you wanted to use an Al-Star to make up the parts of the pocket Lamy.

I am certainly not going to complain that can't show us a picture with your Vista cap, etc., because you have already sent the barrels to us. (You didn't get yourself one of the black barrels, too? :o) That means we should have our hands on them very soon! We'll have to wait for soapytwist to post pictures of the Vista cap/section with the new barrel.

I think the packaging will be more than adequate!

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Actually, the diameter of the barrels are a little different, also. The safari is a touch smaller in diameter. So, the safari lid fits the pocket barrel nicely but the Al-star lid is sloppy.

I can paint my barrel if I ever desire a black one. Ghosty white is fine with me for now though.

Edited by Timbo999

Actually, the diameter of the barrels are a little different, also. The safari is a touch smaller in diameter. So, the safari lid fits the pocket barrel nicely but the Al-star lid is sloppy.

I can paint my barrel if I ever desire a black one. Ghosty white is fine with me for now though.

I won't even try the Al-Star then, and I am glad you are happy with the barrel you have. :)

Holly

Incredibly bad quality (I'm stuck with a temporary phone at present) photos with mine in red, yellow, and with my Joy mat black section and silver cap. I think the coloured pens would look better with the barrel polished, the mini Joy looks good as is.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19134612@N02/sets/72157649256460399/

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Nice! Thank you for sharing your photos with us, soapytwist. The Joy's aluminum cap and matte section do look good with the new barrel. Decisions, decisions....

Holly

fpn_1418231925__2014-12-10_170552_1024x7

fpn_1418231942__2014-12-10_170624_1024x7

My Lamy Mini Charcoal!! :)

The charcoal Mini looks very nice, too. :thumbup:

Still waiting for my barrel to arrive, but great to have some eye candy in the meantime!

For those that have their Lamy Mini in hand, how do they write? Inquiring minds want to know!

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Your new pen looks very nice, jet9. Thank you for sharing the photo with us!

Still waiting to hear more about the writing experience with the pocket Lamy, but hopefully I will soon find out for myself. :)

Holly

The Lami Mini is very well balanced and comfortable to write with.

Excellent news! (My mini Lamy barrel hasn't arrived as yet so I am living vicariously through the rest of you, lol. )

Holly

My barrel arrived yesterday. Today I installed my pink Lamy Safari section and cap on the mini barrel. Pink and black is not a color combination that normally appeals to me, but this is the only Safari I have right now, so.... To be honest, the color combination might grow on me, but I am still planning to get a Lamy Vista or a Joy AL because I think they would pair better with the color and texture of the barrel.

Haven't had a chance to write with it a lot, but so far I really like it. Good balance, feels nice in the hand. My Safari has a broad nib on it and the purple ink that was in the cartridge that Tim sent me looks very nice coming out of the pink Safari. Given the small ink capacity of the cartridge, I will probably end up using the mini Lamy with a medium or fine nib to conserve the ink a bit.

Anyway, here are a few quick photos. The first is of my Lamy Safari with a couple of the blooms on my Princess Diana clematis (taken in early summer,) just because. :P

IMG_1087.JPG

And now for some not so good pictures of my Lamy Mini:

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1646.JPG

All in all, I am quite pleased with the pen. Thank you again, Tim, for sharing your design ideas with us and bringing this project to fruition. I feel honored to be one of the only 5 people in the world - thus far, anyway - to have a Lamy Mini in their possession!

Holly

• 3 weeks later...

Goulet Pens does in fact sell some Parker pens (the Parker Urban and IM,) though neither of these pens require the use of the mini/short cartridges. They also sell Parker converters and 'long' ink cartridges in addition to Parker bottled ink. xFountainpens sells/stocks a lot more models of Parker pens than does Goulet Pens, but none of them require the mini-cartridges either, and they still sell the mini cartridges. :)

Huh. I was sure they didn't. They must have started selling Parkers not too long before I made that post. Still no mini carts, though.

Finally have my Pocket Lamy configured the way I want it; like jet9, I decided to go with the Lamy Vista. The pen currently has a medium nib on it. I really enjoy the way this pen feels and writes; well done, Tim! I hope you let us know if - when - you start a similar project.

Here are some photos of my Mini Lamy. I also made a leather case for the pen. Kind of silly looking I suppose, but it protects the pen and there is room in the case to include a tube with a couple of extra cartridges in it should I decide to travel somewhere (a rather scarce occurrence in my life these days, but it could happen!) I purchased the cartridges from Goldspot; best price I could find, less than $4 for 12 Parker turquoise ink mini cartridges (lol - a lifetime supply, no doubt, since I plan to refill the cartridges with an ink of my choice.)

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

Back of case, flap open:

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

Case closed, secured with sewn in magnets, and pen safely inside:

IMG_1676.JPG

Holly

Edited by OakIris