Timbo999

I agree that it would be quirky.

The Kaweco Sport seems to be quite popular, and I've found the best way to use it is with a cartridge, sometimes refilled myself. The old converter was difficult to use, in my eyes. A friend has the new sack type converter and does say it is much better..... Slighly off topic but relevant.

Photo attached showing the wooden prototype and clipless vista cap. I know the quality is poor, sorry.

post-114755-0-43457000-1409043045_thumb.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• Timbo999

• alc3261

• soapytwist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Pilot Cartridges go a long way into the section while the Lamy Carts do not, that is why the Pilot Elite barrel can be so short.

I think you are missing the point. If the section of a Lamy was redesigned to be longer, the cartridges would fit in more deeply.

I think you are missing the point. If the section of a Lamy was redesigned to be longer, the cartridges would fit in more deeply.

OK I get it but it would involve totally redesigning the pen rather than just a change in the barrel

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

A mini fountain pen from Lamy would be very nice.

I think a Mini Lamy 2000 would be even better than a Mini Safari - a pocket pen made of sturdy Makrolon with a piston filling system and one of Lamy's sweet nibs on it. Yummmmmm!

Holly

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

So, reviving this post as I have some photos to share. Well, i've had the photos for a long time and the actual rapid prototype for even longer.

This is a high quality rapid prototype with the thread modelled in and printed. It is designed specifically and solely for the Safari. The Al-Star grip section fits a little differently and also the caps. My idea was to make it for the Safari.

So. A quick summary.

A slave safari is used, the barrel is simply switched out to this short barrel, and a Short Parker Quink cartridge used. The inside of my designed barrel actually compresses the cartridge into the LAMY grip, keeping it tight, secure and impossible to leak. In practice, it writes okay, but the weight and size of the cap makes it feel different to an unposted Safari. It might be possible to improve the feel by shortening the barrel a touch.

I'm not planning to take this to production as I don't see a massive market or any real profit from it. Just good fun and a nice LAMY pocket pen.

Interested to hear thoughts, though.

post-114755-0-21005900-1416314676_thumb.jpg

post-114755-0-10988300-1416314681_thumb.jpg

post-114755-0-69104600-1416314687_thumb.jpg

post-114755-0-35472800-1416314690_thumb.jpg

post-114755-0-49168200-1416314695_thumb.jpg

post-114755-0-77999200-1416314700_thumb.jpg

That's pretty darn cool, Timbo! I think there WOULD be a market, but that sort of depends upon pricing. And I wonder if there would be legal problems with Lamy - ?? Anyway, I hope you get a "pocket pen" Safari that balances and writes well for your own use at least. Oh, and not black, like ac3261 would like, how about the purple Safari many of us have been longing for?!? The rest of us will be quite envious!

Holly

That's pretty darn cool, Timbo! I think there WOULD be a market, but that sort of depends upon pricing. And I wonder if there would be legal problems with Lamy - ?? Anyway, I hope you get a "pocket pen" Safari that balances and writes well for your own use at least. Oh, and not black, like ac3261 would like, how about the purple Safari many of us have been longing for?!? The rest of us will be quite envious!

Holly

No, I agree with OakIris - lets go with Purple!! :)

I am past the Safari phase in my pen career, but I do find the idea kind of intriguing.

If Monteverde can produce Lamy compatible refills why can't someone else create a Safari compatible barrel?

You will be selling the barrel on its own, not a stolen Lamy product.

A mini fountain pen from Lamy would be very nice.

I think a Mini Lamy 2000 would be even better than a Mini Safari - a pocket pen made of sturdy Makrolon with a piston filling system and one of Lamy's sweet nibs on it. Yummmmmm!

Holly

Now that, I want!!!!

I don't really appreciate the looks of the L2000, but I enjoy smaller pens and I would be happy to have a pocket sized piston filler.

Sth of higher quality than a TWSBI mini, a snap cap, a fine nib (japanese kind of fine), ideally a metal barrel and a reasonable price (150-200$)

Too bad Pilot is not into non c/c pens... I would be thrilled to have a piston filler Stargazer..

I can get a few made if there is enough interest, using the same rapid prototype method. I actually had a slightly reduced resolution 3D print made and it turned out fine, which I can buy for around £10 each. Material colour is limited but can be black or white. I could paint a white print, but it might not last or look very good.

As for legality. I don't really see how it could be a problem with LAMY. However, if they chose to take offense then I'm sure they could take a person to court and win.

Especially if I ever ran with any of the below logos.......... HAHAHAaaaaaaa! I created them for fun, no intention of ever using them, don't worry. I also realise the PAMY logo doesn't look quite right but, as I said, it's just for fun.

To really make this into a production item, they need to be injection molded. This requires expense tooling and commitment of large order/run quantities.

post-114755-0-28202100-1416401458_thumb.jpg

post-114755-0-54065500-1416401463_thumb.jpg

It would be £10 for me to buy each black rapid prototype, plus postage & packaging.

Happy to order a few, for a few people.

Getting some feedback would be great!

Edited by Timbo999

I am also interested, Timbo, if you are willing to ship to the US and the shipping charge won't put the pen out of my reach! (And, do we get a choice of nibs?!? lol I bet the nibs will need to be end-user supplied, but that's cool, too!)

Please let us know how this goes! I do like pocket pens and this one will most definitely be unique. :thumbup:

Holly

I am also interested, Timbo, if you are willing to ship to the US and the shipping charge won't put the pen out of my reach! (And, do we get a choice of nibs?!? lol I bet the nibs will need to be end-user supplied, but that's cool, too!)

Please let us know how this goes! I do like pocket pens and this one will most definitely be unique. :thumbup:

Holly

I think we supply the whole donor Safari for this. We are getting a replacement barrel which makes the Safari into a Pocket Pen.

I think we supply the whole donor Safari for this. We are getting a replacement barrel which makes the Safari into a Pocket Pen.

lol - I bet you are correct - Timbo will just be sending us the new 'pocket pen' barrel. DOH! That's cool, too, and gives me an excuse to buy another Safari at some point - lol, or a purple Hero 'Summer Colors' Safari clone - I bet that would work, too, though I don't have one.

Holly

Hello.

Yes, the £10 would be for the barrel on its own. People would need to supply their own Safari, and a Parker short cartridge. Well, I might be able to include a cartridge out of niceness. (Possibly only UK due to shipping laws and liquids?)

If this ever got big, I think I'd include a cartridge of the customers choice, and offer every colour available in a Parker short cartridge.

Shipping worldwide wouldn't be much due to size and weight. I'd need to package them well enough, nobody wants a broken barrel!

Sounds like an excellent plan, Timbo.

My problem might be that I haven't yet located a source of short Parker cartridges here in the USA; did a search and thus far the only places selling these cartridges seem to be in the UK/Europe...I'll keep looking, though. (On the other hand, I don't think there would be a problem with shipping an ink cartridge here - we get bottles of ink, such as Akkerman inks, shipped here without any problems - so if you do feel like being extra nice - above and beyond making the barrels for us, which is already quite a niceness - don't let me stop you.... :P)

Holly