Timbo999

Hey all,

has anyone ever heard of or seen a mini Lamy? Like a short version of a Safari or Al-Star?

Has anyone ever wanted one? I think a pocket length Safari would be pretty sweet! Similar in size and use to a Kaweco.

What do YOU think?

Tim

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• Timbo999

• alc3261

• soapytwist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't be possible with the current cartridge size ;)

My Pens/Nibs (inked/active): Lamy Studio/Vista/Joy (XXF slight-flex custom | 14k EF | EF | F | 14k M | M | B | 14k 1.1 custom | 1.1 | 1.5 | 1.9), TWSBI Diamond 580 (F | Pendleton BadBoy | Zebra G | F.P.R. semi-flex), Pilot Falcon EF, Penkala Vintage 14k semi-flex, Pilot Parallel (2.4 | 3.8 | 6.0)

http://www.fp-ink.info/img/button.pngI'm still looking for help/data/supporters/sponsors for my Ink Database - It already contains over 900 Inks but is still low on data about the inks except on the Inks I got myself or where I found nice data sheets. So Im looking for these: InkSamples mailed to me, Permissions to use InkReviews - preferable by people who have a lot of InkReviews online, InkReviews mailed to me so I can scan them, Sponsors that will help me to finance InkSamples, People willing to trade InkSamples (list of available Inks from me is available via PM request - please include available Inks)

Nope, never seen one - at least not as fountain pen, there is the Pico BP - would be nice though, I really like the idea. Would probably be problematic with the rather long Lamy cartridges though - piston or custom made converter would be needed.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

:P They could still make the barrel *almost* 1.6cm shorter (since the cartridge is just a tiny bit shorter than the converter), or 1.3cm with the converter capability.

But not like that would do anything particularly useful for the purpose of being "mini".

What if, a shorter cartridge from another company had to be used? That first pretty well indeed (not international standard).

All done in the body and potentially sold as an accessory specifically for a Safari, using the existing cap an nib/grip/feed....?

Length could be shorter than a Kaweco sport, or the same of course.....

Parker short seem to work well to me. I heard about it from the forum and tried some of my wife's purple quink out and it's quite nice. When it's empty I'll fill it up with some noodler's ink for a test.

I am a fan of Pocket Pens so a smaller Lamy would appeal to me and it would work with Parker short cartridges........

But Lamy would never do it.

Someone who turns pens could make a replacement barrel but the cap would still be very "bulky".

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Pilot makes short proprietary carts for the Petite-so........

Except they're shaped around the opening that they won't even fit into a standard Pilot Pen, and having to change the whole ink system just to make a Lamy mini kind of makes it a bit inconvenient, especially if it also requires changing the feed/section and nib size (though they're already kind of small, maybe just shorten the feed).

As ALC said above, the cap will probably remain as bulky if they don't change the section/nib.

Well, the cap clip is quite big, I agree with that. But, remove the clip and it's surprising just how different it looks in both appearance and size, it looks much more slender and longer.

If a Parker short cartridge is used, then the capped and posted lengths can be equal to that of a Kaweco Sport, or shorter if you'd ever want to, which you probably wouldn't. I've made a body out of wood and it does work.

What do people think about a different company making a mini Safari body? That would only work with Parker short cartridge?

Well, the cap clip is quite big, I agree with that. But, remove the clip and it's surprising just how different it looks in both appearance and size, it looks much more slender and longer.

If a Parker short cartridge is used, then the capped and posted lengths can be equal to that of a Kaweco Sport, or shorter if you'd ever want to, which you probably wouldn't. I've made a body out of wood and it does work.

What do people think about a different company making a mini Safari body? That would only work with Parker short cartridge?

It would interest me.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I think it's totally possible to make one.

They can cut about 1cm from the barrel, make the grip a little shorter (since there is not thread on the grip that makes the user feel uncomfortable), and make the cap a little smaller.

I currently have a Lamy Vista that I use daily but doesn't fit in my short pocket nicely.

I'd definitely buy one if they make a mini.

All the Pilot short/long pens have long sections and short barrels, and they all take standard Pilot carts and converters. And they are designed to be posted. So it should be quite possible to redesign a Lamy with the same proportions that would use the standard Lamy cart or converter.

I think it would be interesting and quirky.However I can't think of any cartridge only pens that have become highly successful.