Visconti Dreamtouch 3 Pen Case - Why Did I Buy This?

Rofl Copter

Ugh. I spent a half a freaking hour typing out a description and "review" here, clearly elucidating my concerns with the product and teeming with the needless and frankly pretentious verbosity such a review necessarily entails, only to have it whisked away by my browser so kindly deciding to close on me without notice. So screw it. Damn it all. If this be the decision of the Internet Gods this day, what is a humble mortal like me to argue? Maybe the opposite of verbosity is more suited. So without further adieu:

pouch; problems

leather look good feel nice -> sleek

design simple & pleasing

should have known problem in advance: issue object-fundamental

3 slots, width adequate, length highly problematic

unclippable, unable to secure pens

much room for pens to slide

small pens esp. rattle, jerk, break?

pouch not meant for transporting pens regularly? rather for storage? help

is padding adequate for to make compensating movement-pens?

should I not use for transport small, valuable vintage writingsticks?

pics otherplace available many; upload picsmine if request

Isn't English wonderful? Anyway, in other words, I'm very worried that if I use this case as I intended to, which is to carry pens around as an everyday travel case, will I end up damaging the pens? Many of mine are very small indeed, and if I just throw this case in a bag and carry them around in it, there would be a lot of potential for them to slide about. Should I have gotten a more traditional pouch? Has anyone used this case successfully?

Or in further words:

pls respond

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndrewC

• Rofl Copter

• ziptrickhead

• KlytusLord

Just get some bubble wrap, roll into a cylinder that will fit the width of the slots, and cut to length if you are worried. Or stuff some old soft shirt material in there. I have a hard case where some of my shorter pens have room to roam up and down the slot, but i have yet to see any damage. What are you intending to do that you are worried about breaking a pen? They do not contact each other so there is no worry about scratching. Unless you are jumping up and down or hurling your back pack with the pen case in there I don't think you should have any problems. Besides the above mentioned items for padding, you could get sponges or some open cell foam that is real sturdy and cut a bunch of plugs to shorten the spaces. Maybe number them with lengths so you do not have to guess at size.

Although I do not have one of those cases, I often see one and think, "I want one of those..."

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

That may work. I don't know if I'd actually go far as to do it though. From the past few days of experience it seems that the texture on the inside of the case does discourage pens from sliding about too much. The problem is that I do tend to toss my bag around. I guess I'll just need to learn to be more careful.

FWIW, I use, among others, a pen case that is firm and has dividers, but is fairly long. It lives in my "purse", which is full of checkbooks, multi-tools, a knife, phone, and some other heavy (bleep), and I sling it about and it falls off my shoulder and hits the ground, and nothing has suffered. When I said "hurling" I meant it. I see my teenagers friends literally hurl their packs all over the place, with heavy books etc in 'em. Unless you have all your stuff loose in the bottom of a back pack with a computer and heavy textbooks, you should be fine. I think the worst thing that could happen is if you press the face of the case across a rail or pipe and lean really hard. Remember, those short vintage writing sticks lived in vest and coat pockets, so they are pretty tough. (As far as I have been able to research, shirt pockets are a recent innovation, like the 60s...)

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I wouldn't worry about it. Even though the pens can move around in the case, with the dividers it keeps the pens from touching either other and the walls of the inside of the case are lined so you shouldn't have to worry about damage to the pens. My 2 pen dreamtouch case happens to be my favorite because of the crush protection it offers over my other leather pouch style cases. I throw mine in my bag daily and haven't had issues. It happens to also be the case that I trust my vintage pens to when I do carry them. Here's my case with the pens I have in it today:

15034068842_c4fc988da0_b.jpg

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

I have the Visconti Dreamtouch in 3 and 6 slots. I use the 3 slot for carrying around in my bag and the 6 slot at home to store my currently inked pens.

The vast majority of my pens are of the larger size variety, but I also put smaller pens in the pouch. I have never had a problem with it at all. Granted, my lifestyle is such that my bags don't get tossed around. They go from home, to car, to meeting, and back. Still, I have not seen any issues with my shorter pens, like the MB Boheme.

I have the two-pen pouch which lives in my purse. I've had it for over a year and it still works great at protecting my Visconti's or even smaller vintage pens. I don't prefer pouches/cases which require use of the pen clip to secure the pen...I just feel like it's needless wear and tear on the clip.

~April

One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,

see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• 2 years later...

Personally I like the Visconti 3 Pen. Have had it for a month and use it everyday. Only thing is its a little boxy and doesn't have some of the flair of Visconti's usual designs. But then again its only a pen pouch!

• 2 years later...

I've just bought the 3 pen version and don't have one regret in pulling the plug (so to speak)

It's a wonderful little pouch and protects my pens well enough for me and i'm quite finicky.

I dare say if you normally stuff your's in a bag and then wear that bag whilst playing tight head prop for England

you may incur some damage but then again who could say for sure?