Twsbi Mini Too Wet/dripping Ink

Colin8

I have had my Mini for about a year and it worked fine up until a few weeks ago. Now when I start to write, the lines become increasingly thick as the feed puts out more and more ink. It gets to the point where a drop of ink will form at the nib if I hold it out for any time at all.

The only thing I can think of is that I had greased the piston somewhat recently with the included silicone. Could that have affected anything?

Here e a few pictures, I hope they are useful. And please keep in mind that this is supposed to be an EF nib.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9HPyXSrRO8qVlA1QzdrdFFJeUU/edit?usp=docslist_api

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9HPyXSrRO8qY0pqT0hVbFh4VEk/edit?usp=docslist_api

Edit: The ink that I'm using is Noodlers 54th Massachusetts.

Edited by Colin8

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Insatiable

• Flounder

• Colin8

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you always been using the same ink?

I had a similar problem with a Parker 180. It would drool Parker Quink from the nib. The fix was to switch to Cross/Pelikan ink, and no more drooling. The Cross ink was dry enough to slow down the ink flow in the pen so that it would not drool.

How much silicone did you use and was it a grease or an oil.

If it was an oil, some of the silicone could have lubed the feed, and that could make the ink would flow easier.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

One thing that you could do is to make sure that there are no ways for air to get in and everything is screwed on tight (but not too tight). Air leaks allow for air to displace the ink, hence allowing for ink to simply flow freely. Think of plugging the end of your straw with a finger, the water will stay in the straw. But when you remove your finger, the water will come falling out.

Also make sure that the entire pen was been thoroughly cleansed of any oils such as excess silicon grease.

If making sure that everything is on securely, such as the nib/feed housing is screwed on to the body, you can always contact Speedy from TWSBI. He has excellent customer service.

-Best Wishes, K

TWSBI is a Chinese manufacturer, that is from the ROC, or China( Taipei), and as such, you are likely to get many more people viewing you question and you will also get a lot of answers. Therefore, please ask the Admins to move your question and place it in the sub-forum which is dedicated to Chinese made pens.

It's the lube (less likely, unless you used a lot and it coated the barrel), or it is air getting in. Disassemble it, swab it out, dry it out, reassemble and retighten all parts, and re-ink with same ink. Then see.

Thank you for all of the replies. I knew TWSBI was a Chinese company, it somehow just siipped my mind when I was posting. Thanks for the reminder!

I traded out the ink from 54th Mass to Sailor Jentle Grenade and the problem has for the most part gone away. What was strange was that when I first changed the ink last night, the ink would still start to pool up on the nib and fill up the entire indent of the feed (on a side note, I never realized how deep the indent is compared to my other 12 pens), but it didn't actually drip anything. This morning as I'm writing with it, though, the ink appears much better behaved with no exccess ink in the feed.

I will try the pen with a few other inks just to make sure that it was indeed 54th Mass that was the problem and not the pen.

Edit: Well it appears I spoke too soon: The pen is once again doing what it did last night, leading me to believe it is indeed the pen.

I have noticed that there is also a large amount of ink that is between the nib and the feed. Is this normal? I've never seen it on any of my other pens.

As for the questions about the lubricant, I used a few drops of the silicone grease on the piston. I basically just coated it with a q-tip, but made sure there wasn't too much on there. And as I think about it, I did that months ago so I seriously doubt that could be what is causing it.

Edited by Colin8

TWSBI is a Chinese manufacturer, that is from the ROC, or China( Taipei), and as such, you are likely to get many more people viewing you question and you will also get a lot of answers. Therefore, please ask the Admins to move your question and place it in the sub-forum which is dedicated to Chinese made pens.

umm last time I heard, TWSBI is a Taiwanese company whose nibs are manufactured in Germany.

-Best Wishes, K

Thank you for all of the replies. I knew TWSBI was a Chinese company, it somehow just siipped my mind when I was posting. Thanks for the reminder!

I traded out the ink from 54th Mass to Sailor Jentle Grenade and the problem has for the most part gone away. What was strange was that when I first changed the ink last night, the ink would still start to pool up on the nib and fill up the entire indent of the feed (on a side note, I never realized how deep the indent is compared to my other 12 pens), but it didn't actually drip anything. This morning as I'm writing with it, though, the ink appears much better behaved with no exccess ink in the feed.

I will try the pen with a few other inks just to make sure that it was indeed 54th Mass that was the problem and not the pen.

Edit: Well it appears I spoke too soon: The pen is once again doing what it did last night, leading me to believe it is indeed the pen.

I have noticed that there is also a large amount of ink that is between the nib and the feed. Is this normal? I've never seen it on any of my other pens.

As for the questions about the lubricant, I used a few drops of the silicone grease on the piston. I basically just coated it with a q-tip, but made sure there wasn't too much on there. And as I think about it, I did that months ago so I seriously doubt that could be what is causing it.

Well if you have assembled the pen correctly after cleansing it, I can only come up with one option left to do. Contact Speedy at TWSBI and see if you can have your pen sent to them to have it checked out. Sorry about your pen!

-Best Wishes, K

If any ink leaking out into the clear grip section from around the feed holder? If it is, I'd be willing to bet it's cracked at the end. I had a 580 feed holder do this, and TWSBI replaced it right away. Here's a picture of it once it broke completely off.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc203/BigBassin/IMAG0075_zpscjximxu1.jpg

If not, make sure the piston seal is making contact all the way around the barrel. If it isn't, it could be letting air in.

So many inks, so little time...