Can Anyone Recommend A Pen Shop In Toronto Or Washington Dc?

b1lynch

I split my time between Toronto and Washington DC and am looking for pen shop recommendations. I have purchased off ebay, amazon and Laywine's in Toronto but would like to broaden my perspective. Missed the DC pen show but think that may have been the place to look - thoughts?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• b1lynch

• jrobert6

• Skyppere

• Postscript

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder Pens is good, but probably has less variety than Laywines. Sleuth and Statesman is another one I'm aware of. I've never been to either S&S nor Laywine's though. (All in Toronto- downtown)

Edited by SujiCorp12345

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I just had my first in-person experience at Fahrney's on F Street in DC. I had purchased ink and other items from them online, but I wanted to visit the store itself. The verdict? Super shop, nice selection of pens and inks and paper, good specials, and friendly sales and repair folks. I went twice, first for ink and a look around, then for a lovely Conway Stewart Model 58. I'll be visiting again the next time I'm in DC!

SujiCorp, Tylerjordan - thanks! Wonderpens looks interesting - would also love to take an Edison out for a spin ;-)

jrobert6 - Fahrney's! ...lived in DC for ten years and I have never been there <:-| Will definitely check it out. The Model 58 looks beautiful - how do you like it?

+1 for Fahrney's.Very friendly and helpful staff.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit. -- Aristotle

SujiCorp, Tylerjordan - thanks! Wonderpens looks interesting - would also love to take an Edison out for a spin ;-)

jrobert6 - Fahrney's! ...lived in DC for ten years and I have never been there <:-| Will definitely check it out. The Model 58 looks beautiful - how do you like it?

I LOVE it. Haven't had a chance to review it yet, but it is such a gorgeous pen with wonderful hand feel and a smooth F nib.

Other DC area pen shops include -- Bertram's Inkwell in North Bethesda (on Wisconsin Avenue), see website for details. There are also mainstream pen boutiques in both the Montgomery Mall (near Bethesda) and Tyson's Mall in Virginia.

Another vote for Wonderpens - went in today and like every other trip there it was an enjoyable one. Mostly Japanese pens but there is a sweet selection of ink and paper.

I can only echo what others have identified. Laywines, Sleuth and Statesmen, WonderPens are your must try pen stores. The Jewellers like Birks' also carry fountain pens (Montblanc's). The store in Cambridge called Phidon Pens has about 100 or so models and luggage and leather and stationary and I make the drive out towards London to visit once a year. I have never been disappointed.

I think the WriteStyle its called which is on Leslie Street carries Lamy and FaberCastell. Its been awhile since I went in there though.

The Toronto Pen Possee meets once a month and you may find a willing seller or trader at the meetings if you like Visconti, OMAS, Pelikans etc. Plus Scriptus the Nov 2 pen show is at the Reference Library in Toronto this year.

Cheers,

Mags

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

+1 for Bertram's Inkwell in Rockville, Maryland.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

I live about 5 minutes away from DC.

The pen shop I always go to is Paradise Pen in Tyson's Corner.

I heard that there is a Montblanc shop in Tyson's too.

I don't know about Toronto.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

The Montblanc shop is in Tyson's Galleria (a Mall next door to Tyson's Corner Mall, which has a Paradise Pens). I've found they know next to nothing about pens, but the Mall is packed with very high end shops.

+1 for Bertram's Inkwell. Both Bertram's and Fahrney's are close to Metro (You have to walk about 1 mile to Bertram's and less to Fahrney's).

Paradise Pens is nice (pleasant helpful staff, nicely stocked), but I do most of my business with either Bertram's or Fahrney's.

I've ordered from Fahrney's in DC online but never been there in person.

Re Toronto I've been to Laywine's, but you already know about that place. I think Wonder Pens is fairly new as I don't recall hearing about them before. I'll check them out the next time I'm in Toronto.

What about Pen Haven, still around? Never been there but it is on my "must do" list.

Post Script

http://www.thepenhaven.com/about.html

I was going to ask the same question. Bert Heiserman passed away a while back but he had another person in the shop with him so I wonder if it's still up and running. IF SO, It's a terrific place that sells gorgeous vintage pens... I bought my first vintage pen a beautiful burgundy vacumatic...

cheers

skyppere

There's also a Montblanc boutique on Bloor St W near U of T. I bet they're pricey, but I've heard that they do have sales sometimes. Not sure if those would ever include pens or ink though. Its proximity to Laywine's and The Papery is a plus, too.

Edited by BBU