Help With Pen Identification

michaelkhid

Hello i just received a pen that was my grand fathers. i do not know the brand it is, or even what year he got it.

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/michaelkhid1/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1

Sorry I cant figure out how to directly post pictures on this forum.

On the bottom of the nib the feed doesnt have the fins that most fountain pens have, so my family thinks it may be a dib pen.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmanila

• michaelkhid

• Scribblesoften

• Hooker56

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to FPN, Michael, :W2FPN:

It's not a dip pen. It looks like a piston or siphon filler, but I don't recognize the brand. Please take a magnifying glass to the body of the pen and the nib and tell us what's written there.

If you have a jewelers loupe it will make reading the nib much easier.

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

the nib says "silver palladium alloy" used by some second- and third-tier pen makers of the 1930s. despite the fact that it's not one of the big vintage brands, it's a good-looking pen and no doubt of great sentimental value, so i'd have it restored if i were the OP.

the filling system is something of a mystery--it looks like some kind of wick (because it looks white) but that could simply be a hardened rubber sack, which would make this a bulb filler (you depress the sac by hand). if so, it shouldn't be too difficult and expensive to restore or to have restored.

i'll post some pics of the pen here on behalf of the OP:

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p723/michaelkhid1/Mobile%20Uploads/20140817_194327_zpsseqtsfjl.jpg

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p723/michaelkhid1/Mobile%20Uploads/20140817_194345_zpsawif5ny5.jpg

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p723/michaelkhid1/Mobile%20Uploads/20140817_194313_zps72j1vwtp.jpg

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

Not a wick. These pens were syringe fillers. I have seen others. They usually have a yellowed ink window. I do not recognize this type but probably a third tier manufacturer. I do now know who specializes in the repair of these.

ah, yes, of course, a syringe filler. i had one of these. the syringe works like a simple piston--push in, pull out, and ink should flow into the barrel. who knows, it might still work. try it with a glass of water, and check for leaks at the base.

Check out my blog and my pens

Wow i was not expecting this many anwsers, thank you for all the responses!

I ooked up any pen restoration services and one site is offering it ,but its pretty expensive and i do not know what refilling system this pen uses.

the white part is pretty hard, so its not a bladder. But i can twist it around, and wiggle it. Ive pulled it pretty hard and it gives a little bit, but i dont want to pull it anymore cause i feel like i may break it.

I have put it in a glass of water to see if that my loosen up some of the pen a bit, and may clean up all that dried ink.

anymore suggestions on what to do to help out with the identification?

The water did the trick! I have uploaded more pictures.(But still do not know how to post them) They are in my photobucket account. It seems like it uses a plunger filling method. In the pictures you can see the white part can be pushed into the pen. So right now I'm just cleaning up all the dried ink.

Does anyone know how to make the nib nice and newer looking again?

Don't laugh, but the first thing I do is put the nib and feed in a glass of warm water , then drop in a denture tablet.

It cleans gently, and there are no harsh chemicals involved.

Michael,

Cool pen and even cooler that you figured it out. You can put a drop or two of dish detergent in a glass of room temp water and flush it repeatedly until the water's clear, then rinse a few times with clean water. For the nib, if you have a jewelers cloth (Sunshine cloth) it will shine up like a new penny. If you have a little non-abrasive silver or jewelry polish that will do the trick also.

Again, very cool pen. My SWAG about the age is 1940's, or maybe early 50's.

Thanks for sharing,

Clayton

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."