The Pilot " Custom", A Marvel Of Japanese Mass Pen Manufacture.

hari317

Thanks for the excellent review Hari. I was wondering what is the "custom" model number :) and what's with the 'no-fuss' traditional pilot nib which is again 14k! till I went through your post.

I saw it here-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Fountain-Pen-PILOT-CUSTOM-FK-700R-B-Fine-14k-Nib-Brand-New-/181474595550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a40ba92de

Thanks for the link. With no number in the Custom name, it is near impossible to find amidst all the other Customs.

Maybe they need something new?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Algester

• visvamitra

• conib

Thanks for the link. With no number in the Custom name, it is near impossible to find amidst all the other Customs.

My pleasure :) . They surely need a marketing model number :huh:

Guess they are using the product code, which is usually tagged with the pen's clip - FK-700R-<color>-<EF/F/M/B>,though it looks quite similar to Pilot Celemo

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/94656-pilot-celemo/?p=929173

Not that it matters but, I also noticed that the packaging is different in ebay link compared to what Hari had got the pen in. My lucina had come in the same flip-up box.

Edited by soniknitr

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

This seems to be a nice pen. But I am wondering what are good reasons to buy this instead of the Custom 74 or Heritage 91, since they are not much more expensive in Japan and they have more appeal as a next-level pen. This is a lot more expensive than a Prera (in Japan), so I guess it is a bit out of place unless you really enjoy those particular design features and nib simplicity, compared to the rest of the Custom series at this price level.

But I am wondering what are good reasons to buy this instead of the Custom 74 or Heritage 91, since they are not much more expensive in Japan and they have more appeal as a next-level pen.

I use an "M"-nibbed Custom as my kitchen grocery list pen, filled with Sailor sei-boku pigmented ink. It is a better solution than the 74 or 91 in that situation because of its snap cap (nobody in my family wants to spend time unscrewing a cap when they want to quickly write down something in the middle of cooking, say) and because its more simple section is more easily and quickly cleaned (an advantage when using pigmented ink).

We use the Custom instead of a Prera "M" in the kitchen because the Prera unposted is too short for my husband's hand (and again, taking the time to post the pen isn't a happenin' thing in our kitchen).

We use the Custom instead of a Metro as a kitchen pen because the Custom's cap can be easily disassembled for cleaning (again, because of the sei-boku, I like to stay on top of that).

We use the Custom instead of a 78G as a kitchen pen because I don't like plated nibs, so I don't own one.

If I could get the Custom as a demonstrator, I'd be thrilled. I'd also like the option of a FM nib.

-- Constance

I use an "M"-nibbed Custom as my kitchen grocery list pen, filled with Sailor sei-boku pigmented ink. It is a better solution than the 74 or 91 in that situation because of its snap cap (nobody in my family wants to spend time unscrewing a cap when they want to quickly write down something in the middle of cooking, say) and because its more simple section is more easily and quickly cleaned (an advantage when using pigmented ink).

We use the Custom instead of a Prera "M" in the kitchen because the Prera unposted is too short for my husband's hand (and again, taking the time to post the pen isn't a happenin' thing in our kitchen).

We use the Custom instead of a Metro as a kitchen pen because the Custom's cap can be easily disassembled for cleaning (again, because of the sei-boku, I like to stay on top of that).

We use the Custom instead of a 78G as a kitchen pen because I don't like plated nibs, so I don't own one.

If I could get the Custom as a demonstrator, I'd be thrilled. I'd also like the option of a FM nib.

-- Constance

I see, those are fair reasons. I'm getting another Pilot, someday it might be a Custom to replace my Prera, it also bothers me a bit that it needs to be posted with bigger hands.

Thanks for the great review!

Since Pilot didn't give it a model number, I propose we call it the "Pilot Custom Hari317"

Kia

We are here on earth to do good unto others. What the others are here for, I have no idea.

- W.H. Auden

This seems to be a nice pen. But I am wondering what are good reasons to buy this instead of the Custom 74 or Heritage 91, since they are not much more expensive in Japan and they have more appeal as a next-level pen. This is a lot more expensive than a Prera (in Japan), so I guess it is a bit out of place unless you really enjoy those particular design features and nib simplicity, compared to the rest of the Custom series at this price level.

There is a market for all the pens in their product line up, otherwise the pens would have been long discontinued. The Custom is 30% cheaper than the 74, is slim, has a solid gold nib and a convenient slip cap. Some may prefer it for these reasons. Personally, I am a curious collector and I bought the pen to see what a new 70USD gold nib pen feels like.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for the excellent review Hari. I was wondering what is the "custom" model number :) and what's with the 'no-fuss' traditional pilot nib which is again 14k! till I went through your post.

I saw it here-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Fountain-Pen-PILOT-CUSTOM-FK-700R-B-Fine-14k-Nib-Brand-New-/181474595550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a40ba92de

glad it helped. :)

I have had good luck searching these by using the model code.

Very interesting pen.Thanks Hari.

thank you Abhik.

Thanks for the great review!

Since Pilot didn't give it a model number, I propose we call it the "Pilot Custom Hari317"

Kia

thanks! I think we can safely call it the custom "70" to honor its price point. :)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Awesomely detailed review. The Japanese certainly know what they're doing. I love all of my Pilot pens and can't wait to add more to my collection.

awesome review, makes me want to buy a Pilot Custom but im just starting so i have to take it easy, dont need the same thing that happened to my cigars lol

I purchased one. Fine nib. I really love it. I would highly recommend. Maybe a little on the lightweight side if you like a heavier pen.

Grace and peace to you

:)

Good review plus you always take the best pics Hari.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Awesomely detailed review. The Japanese certainly know what they're doing. I love all of my Pilot pens and can't wait to add more to my collection.

awesome review, makes me want to buy a Pilot Custom but im just starting so i have to take it easy, dont need the same thing that happened to my cigars lol

I purchased one. Fine nib. I really love it. I would highly recommend. Maybe a little on the lightweight side if you like a heavier pen.

Good review plus you always take the best pics Hari.

Thank you all for your kind comments. :)

Hari - looks like we have lost the images in your first post.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

• 4 months later...

Loving your acquisitions of pilot pens... Amazing they are... Always a delight to read through review of your pens

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter