Sailor's Full Ink Lines Including Shop Exclusives Compiled In A Post?

Algester

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Tinjapan

• white_lotus

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wait, so onago-iro inks are no longer available. Damn. I should have gotten a few back ups while i could. (Sigh)

I don't think they are premanently unavailable. Just that Sailor's "Ink Master" was/is getting overwhelmed with back orders of Onago-Iro inks.

Remember, all of these Sailor special edition inks are entirely hand mixed by just one person.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

I don't think they are premanently unavailable. Just that Sailor's "Ink Master" was/is getting overwhelmed with back orders of Onago-Iro inks.

Remember, all of these Sailor special edition inks are entirely hand mixed by just one person.

Its what im thinking as well sailor did post it as temporarily unavailable

If I were Sailor, I'd get busy and train some more people to do this. Sounds like a fun job.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

There seems to be a huge delay in getting Sailor inks out. The release of KN's new inks has been pushed back, Maruzen is out of sepia and maybe others and each time I go in they tell me a later date for restocking and BB is out of most of their inks with notification that there is a 6 month wait on them.

There seems to be a huge delay in getting Sailor inks out. The release of KN's new inks has been pushed back, Maruzen is out of sepia and maybe others and each time I go in they tell me a later date for restocking and BB is out of most of their inks with notification that there is a 6 month wait on them.

Well, with everyone on FPN fighting to get these inks that most of us had never heard of before, that's really not surprising. Same thing happened in the fine wine business--wealthy Russians and Chinese have outbid us for the finite supply of these wines, and we no longer can get them, or afford them if we could get them.

Whoa! Just checked KN's website to see if there was any info on their new series and saw that all but three of their previous inks are sold out!

As with all things, good and bad news.

*オリジナルインクのご注文が集中しており、現在品薄の状態になっております。ご迷惑をお掛け致しますが、入荷次第ご案内させていただきます。

Good news, Pen&Message is now accepting reservations and pre-sales of Sailor SE inks.

Bad news, Pen&Message is doing this because the Sailor SE inks are back-ordered by several months.

More bad news. Just left KN. Stopped by to see what he latest word on the upcoming release of their new inks. As the manager was telling me that the release had been pushed backed to August, an employee ran up with a tablet showing that new information just came in, pushed back to September. They couldn't say for certain that it was the same with other shops, but Mr. Ishimaru hand mixes each bottle of KN inks individually, bottle by bottle, not by color than fill multiple bottles.

Further, there is a supply problem of item(s) that would effect almost all of the boutique inks. Though I am dying to share, I was sworn to secrecy and can not risk the friendly relationship I have with KN. I can only say that it is out of Sailor's hands and that they are scrambling to find a new supplier of this/these all inportant item(s). However, I think that if one were to assemble all known facts on Sailor inks, one could arrive at the item(s) that has/have become unavailable.

Mr. Ishimaru can not start until this supply problem is solved and then he will be very busy filling orders. Anticipate a long wait.

The sweet lady who runs Bung-Box told me much the same thing.

Right now, I don't feel so foolish for ordering 3 bottles each of Cigar, Lidth's Jay, and 'Bug Green' back in April.

If only I'd gone on my instincts and also stocked up on Bung-Box inks at the same time, I wouldn't be currently staring at half empty bottles of 'Fresh Oranges' and L'Amant.

And I'm shocked to learn that the ink master hand-tunes each bottle of ink!

Yes, all hand-mixed and bottled by Sailor's 'Ink Master' Mr. Ishimaru alone.

Indeed, the comparison that was made above to Wine is very apt. Much like a great deal of the taste difference between convience store wine and pricey estate wine is down to the wine master (or machine for the el cheapo stuff) who mixes it, a great deal of the difference between good ink and the shite I had to use in my school days comes down to the person who mixes it up.

And much like wine making, there is very much an artistry to mixing it. You can pass on the receipe and techniques, but not the personal artistry and 'flair'. If any of that makes sense.

Yes, all hand-mixed and bottled by Sailor's 'Ink Master' Mr. Ishimaru alone.

Indeed, the comparison that was made above to Wine is very apt. Much like a great deal of the taste difference between convience store wine and pricey estate wine is down to the wine master (or machine for the el cheapo stuff) who mixes it, a great deal of the difference between good ink and the shite I had to use in my school days comes down to the person who mixes it up.

And much like wine making, there is very much an artistry to mixing it. You can pass on the receipe and techniques, but not the personal artistry and 'flair'. If any of that makes sense.

I've always thought they mix the ink in something like a big barrel/pool and then fill up each bottle.

I've always thought they mix the ink in something like a big barrel/pool and then fill up each bottle.

I think this only happens to Kobe inks

Hmm I think Sailor is facing a massive supply problem even the new pro-gear slim colors are currently back ordered or so I think according to the sailor website...

Edited by Algester

Does that mean the fat-bottle Sailor inks (the regulars, the four seasons and Kobe) are mass produced and the vase-bottle inks are individually hand mixed?

Exactly. The short, fat bottles contain the machine mixed inks and the cool, jewellry-like bottles contain the entirelly-hand-mixed-by-Ishimaru stuff. At least that's what the nice people at Sailor Japan told me.

As for the process, look at this photo of him working his magic at one of Sailor's pen clincs. Note the cocktail mixer.

post-121456-0-35687900-1436266800_thumb.jpg

Not sure if the bow tie is also part of the magic.

Now we know which Sailor inks to use very sparingly. I would hope Mr. Ishimaru has an apprentice or two, just as they had in their nib-making operation.

Well if that supply problem affects all boutique inks except Kobe...

Why might that be?