The Namiki No 50 Emperor Nib

hari317

Some pictures of the no 50 nib found on the Namiki Emperor.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0179.jpg

43.5mm long from tip to heel:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0180.jpg

11mm wide across shoulders: a gigantic nib

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0181.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0182.jpg

The semi lacquered (urushi)feeder, some descriptions note the feed material as Ebonite, this example looks and feels like the typical superb plastic Pilot feeders:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0184.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0185.jpg

55mm long and 9mm feeder diameter:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0186.jpg

Hallmark (Ste PP F)and date stamp a1103:

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0187.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0188.jpg

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af39/hari3171/Namiki%20Emperor%20Pavilion/IMG_0189.jpg

Cheers!

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• rebcabin

• zaddick

• flashylightsmeow

Finally, there is a nib that would not look too small in a Gama. :) Lovely photos, as always. How does the nib perform? Is it stiff or is it a bit soft?

Edited by Scribblesoften

The Gama suitable enough to accept this nib is yet to be born.

the nib is quite soft. the 18K nib is quite supple. not flex but soft.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

So your nib was made in November 2003 by the "A" machine? Lovely! I had a "Mt Fuji" no. 50 nib that was made in 2004, so the transition between "words" and "Mt Fuji" nibs must have occurred in 2003/2004.

How does the nib/feed come out of the section? Is it a simple friction pull? I never had the courage to pull my nib out. Another thing I noticed is that it seems to take a long time for the (substantial) feed to saturate with ink after the initial filling. Did you experience that?

Edited by shuuemura

How does the nib/feed come out of the section? Is it a simple friction pull? I never had the courage to pull my nib out.

yes friction fit. gently walk the nib out, very gently. This pen is a precision machine, everything fits together nicely.

Edited by hari317

Another thing I noticed is that it seems to take a long time for the (substantial) feed to saturate with ink after the initial filling. Did you experience that?

yes. but once that is done the pen is a superb reliable starter, much better than my other shutoff valve equipped pens. The feed has huge ink spaces on the underside (not the fins).

• 10 months later...

Hello .. I am new to this network. I heard that you have some pens for sale. I was wondering where can I look at them. Also if you could send me some photographs to my email that would be great. Many thanks.

Tilak.

rick0006@hotmail.com.

Thanks for the very informative post. As a recent and very happy owner of the crimson version, it's great to know how pen actually works. I always thought the feed was ebonite based on how it looks. Surprised yet at the same time, not as it's the most modern part of what is essentially a replica of the original pen from the 30s.

Very nice thank you for sharing. I love the older Pilot Jumbo style nibs. I have also seen #50 nibs decorated like standard Pilot nibs like you would find on an 845. I didn't care for the Urushi Emperor I tried in Tokyo but I am sure one will eventually find its way to me.

Thanks for the very informative post. As a recent and very happy owner of the crimson version, it's great to know how pen actually works. I always thought the feed was ebonite based on how it looks. Surprised yet at the same time, not as it's the most modern part of what is essentially a replica of the original pen from the 30s.

Very nice thank you for sharing. I love the older Pilot Jumbo style nibs. I didn't care for the Urushi Emperor I tried in Tokyo but I am sure one will eventually find its way to me.

I am glad you guys found it useful, it is a very old post from last year.

• 4 years later...

the pictures have gone all foggy with a "Photobucket" watermark on them :( makes me sad because they look like they were really great pictures.

the pictures have gone all foggy with a "Photobucket" watermark on them :( makes me sad because they look like they were really great pictures.

I don't see this on my browser. Not sure why it is appearing for you.

For me too.

Anyone happen to know a source for feeders for these pens? I have a couple of feeders that are not lacquered and I would like to swap them out for lacquered ones (I suspect my non-lacquered ones, in pens I acquired used, are not Pilot / Namiki originals, or they may be originals that were just not lacquered; I can't tell. Though the non-lacquered feeders work just fine, the "look" of the lacquered ones is markedly superior. This is going to bug me.) I am thinking of going to the 2020 pen show in Los Angeles to see whether I can find some because Googling produces no leads. I could just contact Pilot USA (thinking out loud, now).

I'll try on a different computer. Weird :-\

@DonM, you may have cached versions of the photos, while some others of us are downloading from expired originals on photobucket ? ? ?

Anyone happen to know a source for feeders for these pens? I have a couple of feeders that are not lacquered and I would like to swap them out for lacquered ones (I suspect my non-lacquered ones, in pens I acquired used, are not Pilot / Namiki originals, or they may be originals that were just not lacquered; I can't tell. Though the non-lacquered feeders work just fine, the "look" of the lacquered ones is markedly superior. This is going to bug me.) I am thinking of going to the 2020 pen show in Los Angeles to see whether I can find some because Googling produces no leads. I could just contact Pilot USA (thinking out loud, now).

Interesting. Can you pls post some pics of your non lacquered feeds and their nibs?

Lacquer on the feeder tends to get bubbled over time. Is it possible it was removed by a previous owner?

I think its v unlikely that spare feeds are going to be available for this pen outside Pilot.

Edited by hari317

hari317:

The top picture shows the feeds on a pair that I bought factory sealed this year.

The second picture shows the nib side of those two new ones.

The third picture shows the FEED side of the two used pens I bought, supposedly a 2003 on the top and a 1999 on the bottom. A new 2019 is in the middle for comparison.

The fourth picture shows the NIB side of the two used pens, purported 2003 on top and 1999 on bottom. A new 2019 is in the middle for comparison.

You can see that the two used ones have the same kinds of feeds, different decorations on the nibs, and both different from the 2019. The purported 2003 has a two-toned nib with the Mt. Fuji decoration, and the purported 1999 has a nib with filigree decoration.

I'd be grateful for anything you have to say about them :)

fpn_1572128039__lacqueredfeeds.jpg

fpn_1572128066__brandnewnibs.jpg

fpn_1572128106__differentfeeds.jpg

fpn_1572128127__nibsidelooksdifferent.jp

Here are a few more snaps in various light conditions showing the difference between the known genuine (smooth belly, dull lacquer look, some bubbling) and the suspect feeder (ribbed belly, reflective plastic look)

fpn_1572133454__nibsinflashlight.jpg

fpn_1572131290__nibsinsunlight.jpg

fpn_1572131160__nibsinview.jpg