Lamy Joy Vs Safari/al-Star/vista (First Fp)

SimaShi

I have been reading numerous guides and tips on picking up the first fountain pen and it seems like the Safari/Al-star/Vista are by far the most recommended pens in the lower price range.
Now I'm not gonna be using my pens for regular notes or anything like that. I'm only gonna do calligraphy and fine letters with them etc.

Therefore I was thinking about picking up one of the mentioned pens with a broad nib, however when I was scrolling through Cult Pens list I came across a pen called lamy Joy which seems to fit the bill since it comes with a 1.1 italic nib and it's a good 7 euro cheaper, however it's not very reviewed. http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/LM09594/lamy-joy-fountain-pen

I found like 2 reviews saying it's a good pen, but that's slightly little to base a purchase on. Does anyone know anything about this pen?

Also a second question: Will a broad nib on a Safari/Al-star/Vista make visible line differences? I would hate to buy a "good" pen and then figure out it's too narrow to make italic calligraphy.

Feel free to check out my blog: alifeofcalligraphy.wordpress.com
Have a nice day! :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SimaShi

• LamyOne

• LeonW

• Blue_Moon

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I will almost have my 10th pen but it will be lamy vista. I have given so much money for Pelikan but im still big fan of Lamy.

My First Pen was Lamy Safari Umbra. And its still my favorite since 2011

Yeah, a lot of people are cheering for their Lamy Vista's and Safaris and Al-Stars that's why I'm asking about the Lamy Joy since it has barely been given any attention.

My personal preference would be the Safari, Vista, or All-Star over the Joy. I like the look and feel better. Also, generally, I'd recommend a 1.1 or 1.5 nib over the broad for calligraphy. A broad isn't going to give you much/any line variation.

Edited to add: You can buy the Safari, Vista, and Al-Star with the 1.1 and 1.5.

Edited by Blue_Moon

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Thanks for your opinion on the matter and I think I'm gonna stick to a 1.1 then as minimum nib for future reference.
Can you elaborate on how the "feel" is different? Is the material, diameter or weight etc? Do you find it unbalanced?

It's more a perceived feel to me. I almost always post my pens, and, although this pen does post, it does so rather awkwardly for my tastes. It doesn't feel unbalanced, though. I purchased one, didn't care for it, and returned it.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Thanks for the elaboration and clarification on the feel. I probably should just cash up if that's an expression and get the Al-star. Not worth risking an unordinary pen for 7 euros probably.

Have a look at this -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOgfluNN0hQ

Personally if your only going to use it for calligraphy and fine writing i would say your better off with the joy as the shape is more akin to traditional dip pens and i think you'll find it more comfortable when doing precise lettering but all lamy nibs are interchangeable so it's really up to you what you prefer.

Hope this helps.

No one is born hating another person because of the colour of their skin their background or their religion. People must learn to hate and if they can learn to hate they can be taught to love for love comes more naturally to the human heart than it's opposite.

I use a Lamy Safari, Al-star and a Lamy Joy daily, different ink colours (all Montblanc) the only difference is the back end being more like a Calligraphy dip pen with the Joy. You can put any of the Lamy nibs on it.

Reading your intended use for the pen, I would suggest the Joy. Use it un-posted like a Calligraphy dip pen, it has a perfect balance and feel for me. Your next pen would most probably be a Safari - more compact to carry in your shirt pocket.

For fine writing I prefer the 1,5 nib size. Changing the nibs are as easy as breathing. Experiment - it is all about your personality being put on paper.

Enjoy your journey.

Hello SimaShi,

If you're only going to use it for calligraphy - I'd save the money and go for the Joy - it uses the same feed and nib as the Al-Star/Safari Series, so the performance should be the same. :)

Best regards,

Chris

PS: To be completely honest and forth-right; I suppose I should mention that I have never used a Joy pen; however, I do put a lot of stock in the Lamy brand, as you can easily tell. :)

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

I use the joy with a 1.1 nib.

You can purchase the joy with 1.1, 1.5 or 1.9mm nib. You have to decide which size is appropriate for your calligraphy.

My book says to start off with a 1.5mm nib for calligraphy.

For me the smaller 1.1 nib lets me to normal cursive writing on wide ruled paper. I have not used it for calligraphy...yet.

I like the joy because the long taper/tail is similar to my desk pens, and it feels good to write with. And despite the people on YouTube doing it, the cap on the joy is not meant to be posted...posting messes up the balance of the pen.

If you want to you can also swap nibs and put a Safari XF,F,M or B nib to make it write like a regular round tip pen. Do not expect to get any line variation from these nibs.

Despite the pocket clip, the length of the joy will prevent you from putting the pen into your pocket.

The joy only comes in BLACK with red trim.

You can also put an italic nib on a Safari/Al Star/Vista, if you want to go the other way.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

My Joy is an all White version.

The white version was a limited production model. It is no longer available from Lamy.

Any that you find is either old stock or used.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have a Nexx M, and I would say, for calligraphy, go with the Joy. It is intended to be used unposted, and for calligraphy. I use my Joy for drawing and calligraphy, both, andI find that I use different grips on the Joy, sometimes further up from the finger section. Nibs are easy to change on it, and it will give you a good idea what you might like if you are going to get a pocket/carry around pen.

Thanks for all of the comments my fellow fountain pen enthusiasts! Meow!!! <3 =^_^=
I guess I just need to look up what posted means now and I'm ready to go ahead with my purchase and I should probably look up the length an extra time and make a comparison to something in my home.

Thanks for all the help and I hope you all have a great day! <3

............I guess I just need to look up what posted means now........

Hello SimaShi,

Posting a pen means placing the cap on the end of the barrel, (usually done so it doesn't get lost or roll away). :)

It has been the source of great debates and world wars; some people are fond of the practice; others hate it. The pros of the practice is that you won't lose the cap; it can give the pen better balance and it may keep the end of the pen from digging into the web of your hand, (on shorter pens). The cons of the practice is that it can cause scratches or rub marks on the barrel and it can adversely effect the balance on certain pens, (making them back heavy and pulling the nib up off the paper).

The debate on whether or not to post will rage on long after you and I are dead. Personally, I try to avoid it because it does usually cause rub marks and scratches on the barrel as well as make the pen a little back-heavy, (some pens more than others). Basically, posting is one of those things that works with some pens, but not so well with others. Are you as confused as I am now? :huh:

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

Thanks for the elaboration. Unfortunately I had already looked it up on google but the thought is what counts right?
Don't worry, I will give you a couple of hugs for free to cheer you up Chris. <3 =^_^=
(And maybe a lick if you behave :P )
I think I can see the pros and cons for each side.
Although I'm not a collector I would hesitate to put the cap on I think. Because almost all of the fountain pens are beautiful and a scratch on it would make me implode. xD
If it was designed for it and the manufacturer promised it wouldn't scratch the pen I wouldn't necessarily mind putting it on if it wouldn't resut in the pen being back heavy.

Thanks for all of the replies.
The only downside I have been able to find is that the feed is not disassemble, but I'm not sure how important it is.

Edited by SimaShi

Thanks for the elaboration. Unfortunately I had already looked it up on google but the thought is what counts right?

Don't worry, I will give you a couple of hugs for free to cheer you up Chris. <3 =^_^=

(And maybe a lick if you behave :P )

I think I can see the pros and cons for each side.

Although I'm not a collector I would hesitate to put the cap on I think. Because almost all of the fountain pens are beautiful and a scratch on it would make me implode. xD

If it was designed for it and the manufacturer promised it wouldn't scratch the pen I wouldn't necessarily mind putting it on if it wouldn't resut in the pen being back heavy.

Thanks for all of the replies.

The only downside I have been able to find is that the feed is not disassemble, but I'm not sure how important it is.

Hello again SimaShi,

Thanks for the hugs. :D

Being able to disassemble the nib and feed assembly is not all that important if you are using traditional fountain pen inks. The feed system will only need thorough scrubbing and cleaning if you are using Bulletproof or highly saturated inks, (Noodlers, Private Reserve, etc), - and you allow them to dry in the nib/feed from lack of use. If you are using traditional inks, (J. Herbin, Waterman, most Diamine, Quink, Sheaffers, Pelikan, etc.), all you would ever need to do is let the nib/section soak overnight and then flush it out with a bulb syringe the next day.

Hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

You are welcome Chris!! Hugs are meowtastic meow! =^_^=
I don't think I'm gonna worry about that little detail then because it's not like I'm gonna use any dangerous inks.
There is a pretty good guide http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/care/inks.htm that was a really good read, although it might be because I'm into chemistry.

Think I'm gonna stick to waterman and diamine for a long time, I don't really think there is much reason to use much else as a beginner.
Once again, thanks for your elaborate reply and I hope you have a good day. <3

With regards, Sima Shi.