Compact Fountain Pen (Other Than Lilliput)

andymcc

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• andymcc

• Algester

• Icywolfe

• mallymal1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ANM: Thanks for the picture :thumbup: Can I ask what the top one is? the ringtop appeals to me as I could tether it to my sketch folder so I wouldn't lose it :)

I sure wouldn't think you would have problems with either customs or security. It's a pen and you can write with it, as can all the people in first class with their gold, fancy bps

Look at Jet Pens. There are a lot of small, plastic pens there.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I sure wouldn't think you would have problems with either customs or security. It's a pen and you can write with it, as can all the people in first class with their gold, fancy bps

Look at Jet Pens. There are a lot of small, plastic pens there.

Well that depends on the airport. LAX gave me hell for ink cartridges. TSA must be crazy there.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

TWSBI Mini. It's got a threaded (screw-on) cap at both ends for secure posting. It's a piston filler, so it has a large ink capacity despite its small size. Overall, a very nice pen.

I have owned both the Stipula Passaporto (plastic) and the Lepine Indigo (metal). They have both traveled in airports and all around the town in my purse, bag, or sometimes in my pocket. I haven't had a lick of trouble with either one getting through security. Both have screw-on caps; when posted, they make a nice length of pen. The Indigo is a thinner diameter pen, if that makes a difference. Mine also happened to be slow starters, but once they got going they were okay (I have actually had two, which is another story). My guess is they needed a little adjusting, but I never got around to having it done. The Passaporto can be an eyedropper fill, and you can have a ridiculous amount of ink available to you. I worried about the sturdiness of the plastic body, but I haven't had a problem with it.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Ted A: Thanks :thumbup: I'm hoping that I'm just being overly cautious but it doesn't hurt to be prepared either :)

Ecriveur: Thanks for your reply :) I have a TWSBI Mini but after having some issues with a faulty nib then a cracked cap(both dealt with brilliantly by TWSBI) I'm not so sure of its sturdiness anymore.

sharonspens: Thank you for the reply :) I really like the Lepine Indigo's looks and size but both that and the Stipula cost at least £60+ to ship into the UK which is a bit steep for what I want at the moment. I have my eye on a Lepine Indigo that a seller in Australia has but it will be a while before I can afford it, ideally I'm after a pen that costs less than the price of the Lilliput(<£40) but I have a few months to look so I'm keeping my eyes open :D

The top pen is Salz Bros. Peter Pan.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

mallymal1: The only downside to the Petit for me is that if I use cartridges I'm stuck with the Pilot colours, although that could be a blessing in disguise as I'd be forced to try colours I never would otherwise :)

Hi Andy...I get round that by refilling used cartridges using a syringe. Maybe not the best solution for you if you are using them as a travelling pen.

Other Japanese pocket pens I've used are Pilot Legno 89s, and Pilot Elites (vintage)...but, like you, if it came to loosing any of these I'd be gutted.

When I'm travelling, where there's a risk of loosing or damaging or indeed having stolen, I tend to stick with Lamy Safaris, and Platinum Preppys, but these would be too big for you.

Hi Andy...I get round that by refilling used cartridges using a syringe. Maybe not the best solution for you if you are using them as a travelling pen.

Other Japanese pocket pens I've used are Pilot Legno 89s, and Pilot Elites (vintage)...but, like you, if it came to loosing any of these I'd be gutted.

When I'm travelling, where there's a risk of loosing or damaging or indeed having stolen, I tend to stick with Lamy Safaris, and Platinum Preppys, but these would be too big for you.

I love my 18k SF Elite so I'm thinking of getting a steel nibbed Elite as they're cheap and fit my criteria but the cartridges are the only drawback as I'd have to use black or take a bottle of ink(as I do currently).

The Preppy although a little bigger than the Petit has the big advantage of the Platinum adapter for international cartridges. I'm going to order a Petit and Preppy so I can compare them and for under £10 for the two I'm sure they'll get used for something :D

Pilot also made the Birdie. It is a really small sectioned pen though. It is aluminum and pretty sturdy otherwise. Maybe you could look for NOS ones?

Pilot also made the Birdie. It is a really small sectioned pen though. It is aluminum and pretty sturdy otherwise. Maybe you could look for NOS ones?

The Birdie is new to me, it looks quite like my trusty old Parker Jotter :)

I'm trying to find a plastic pen if I can though, just in case the customs officer at the airport is having a bad day and doesn't like all metal pens in my carry on luggage