How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Urushi

lowfiwhiteguy

I do my own nib work. I occasionally buy a "Bindierized" or "Masuyama'd" pen because they're easily available from those nibmeister. Mr Mottishaw just happened to be the only way I could get my hands on a Nakaya on this continent within a reasonable timeframe.

I didn't bother complaining immediately because it was too late to phone them. Another reason is because this type of work is well within my ability to do. I never have had a Nakaya before but now I see how they go together, and from now on I'll grind and adjust my Nakayas (if I buy another) to my own specs like I did with many Pelikans and MBs before it. I don't trust anyone anymore to set up my nib the way I want it, because so far, nobody has succeeded.

I paid a ridiculous sum of money for an individualised nib on a $550 pen that came to me in less than ideal nick, and I then had to fix it. I wasn't about to send this back to America for repair, risk them changing what I like about it after I've gone to repair it, and then risk another $135.76 as it re-enters the country a second time (I've had this happen despite item being marked "RETURN TO OWNER FOR REPAIR).

If they sort out the problem with the cap I will be only too happy to post an absolutely GLOWING review of my service there and how they fixed this issue and took care of me as a customer. I'm waiting to post the review of the pen after they've solved this cap issue, actually. As a first time buyer at Nibs.com and a first time Nakaya owner, it just hasn't been an experience I'd be willing to pay $550 for if I had to do it again. So we'll see where it goes from here.

Edited by lowfiwhiteguy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lowfiwhiteguy

• JonSzanto

• Montecristo

• Keyless Works

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sympathise with the OP, but I would like to think, were I in the same situation, I would have called Mr. Mottishaw directly PRIOR to dragging his name through the mud in such a public manner. He has a very high reputation in this community and I am sure there is a reason for it, given that most of us are pretty finicky about our pens. A public excoriation should be a LAST resort, not a first.

Regards,

Brian

Edited by Brian K

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

This is not a public excoriation. Consumers are allowed to let their voiced be heard when they've been rendered subpar service. I'm sure Mr Mottishaw has earned his good reputation through years of very hard work and deserves it. I'm just unlucky (as usual). I'm just putting it out there so that people know to be prepared to get a pen that requires work when they buy from any site. It's a lot different when you can't just send the pen back on a whim to him to fix it, when you don't live in America. I live in another country, so if I send the pen back it'll be $40 of my money gone. Plus the risk of more customs charges when it re-enters the country. It adds to the anxiety, and it should have just been done right the first time.

Anyway the pen is fine, now, I just need the cap replaced. Photos to follow.

'the internet is patient' and a thread like this one can be damaging for a sellers reputation.

If 'generating doubt' is deserved; so be it. If however you haven't even spoken to the seller, then in my opinion your judgement is premature, even if your frustration seems justified.

I could imagine that the seller would be willing to contribute to shipping & duties to remedy a clear warranty issue (so with no additional cost to you).

Since Nibs.com is 'open for business' at this hour (as of 8:00 AM LAtime); have you tried calling?

10446218_1452284918367389_60885181848202

This is the "NAKAYA" nib. It doesn't say "NAKATA".

Edited by lowfiwhiteguy

I've called and I'm waiting on a call back.

615240_1452284145034133_1425894877844422

One side of the clip canyon...

Edited by lowfiwhiteguy

Call it what it is: a disgruntled customer with a remarkably low supply of patience. That the OP couldn't even wait until the next day to discuss something like this is suspect, even taking into account any disappointment. He didn't even give Mottishaw the opportunity to make things right, and has no way of knowing what sort of arrangement would have been worked out. Even in the best of all possible worlds, things go awry, and there is ample history and testimony regarding Classic Fountain Pens service to customers to indicate that this was an anomaly.

Yeah, I'm sorry that the pen was bum on arrival, but the rest was handled poorly. This is not a public excoriation. Readers are allowed to let their voices be heard when they disagree with something.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Call it what it is: a disgruntled customer with a remarkably low supply of patience. That the OP couldn't even wait until the next day to discuss something like this is suspect, even taking into account any disappointment. He didn't even give Mottishaw the opportunity to make things right, and has no way of knowing what sort of arrangement would have been worked out. Even in the best of all possible worlds, things go awry, and there is ample history and testimony regarding Classic Fountain Pens service to customers to indicate that this was an anomaly.

Yeah, I'm sorry that the pen was bum on arrival, but the rest was handled poorly. This is not a public excoriation. Readers are allowed to let their voices be heard when they disagree with something.

+1

I edited the OP for tone. I just got off the phone with John. He can't simply replace the subpar cap because each cap matches one body and one body only. So I need to send him this pen again tomorrow, and he'll replace it with a cigar version.... He'll move the nib over into it because I like how this one writes, so that's pretty good I guess.

I need to pay shipping both ways, of course....

I've had a rough week, I didn't meant to be inflammatory. I get pretty angry about stuff sometimes, more than I should. :( I'm a student so this pen took me ages to save up for, and the price just keeps going up and up as customs and repair shipping eat away at what I have left. It's just unpleasant.

Anyway I guess since this is the only possible solution. I'll think about it for the day...

I may just keep it. I can't be bothered with this anymore.

But my main point, could anyone please comment on how the clip notch looks? Is that really how these are supposed to look? If it's totally normal then I'll keep it and just bear all this in mind next time I get a Nakaya and get a cigar version. If there is a next time.

Edited by lowfiwhiteguy

Can you post of shot of the clip straight on? Looking at other pictures of Nakaya clips it looks like it could be within range of other Nakaya pictures I can find online.

I can't say I have seen a nib that reads "Nakaya" before....maybe Nakaya recently updated their stamps?

Weird about the "Nakaya" on the nib. They must have changed them recently. I received a special order in May, and mine says "Nakata."

I'm going to ask to have this thread removed. I feel terrible now that I basically lambasted the guy when this is not any fault of his that Nakaya seems to make their clips this way. I'm pretty stupid.

I've been having a lot of anxiety lately and this really set me on the war path for some reason. It is pretty unfair to Mr Mottishaw. I'll start a new thread on it and we can continue from there.

At no point did he blame Classic pens... stop trying to turn a molehill into a mountain

I thought this was a discussion forum, not just a "post threads of praise so everyone feels good" forum

lowiwhiteguy was just trying to see if his nib imprint and clip gap was normal

The fact that nib was misaligned, on a pen, from a seller that happens to be a nib tuner is disappointing

Weird about the "Nakaya" on the nib. They must have changed them recently. I received a special order in May, and mine says "Nakata."

Got last week a Dorsal Fin 2 (from CFP) recently manufactured and it has NAKATA engraved on the nib.

I'm going to ask to have this thread removed. I feel terrible now that I basically lambasted the guy when this is not any fault of his that Nakaya seems to make their clips this way. I'm pretty stupid.

I've been having a lot of anxiety lately and this really set me on the war path for some reason. It is pretty unfair to Mr Mottishaw. I'll start a new thread on it and we can continue from there.

Well said. I hope the mods are willing to do if for you. We've all had those days (weeks, years...)

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I'm glad the OP is calming down. I know we can all get emotional when our expectations are not met. I think the OP showed a lot of honesty, moderation, and humility in this thread.

By the way: I don't own a Nakaya, but that gap really doesn't look too big to me, and the rest of the pen is quite nice. I always figured that clips get a little room for "play" so that nothing gets broken. Since a Nakaya has a special finish, I wonder if the gap is to protect the finish from chipping?

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

At no point did he blame Classic pens... stop trying to turn a molehill into a mountain

I thought this was a discussion forum, not just a "post threads of praise so everyone feels good" forum

The fact that nib was misaligned, on a pen, from a seller that happens to be a nib tuner is disappointing

+1

Verba volant, scripta manent

Perhaps you did not read the original post prior to editing - I happened to see it right after it was posted before I went to sleep last night (early this morning?) and he mentioned Mr. Mottishaw by name. I might have overstated by saying it was an excoriation and I apologize if that is the case. Without the original to read now I can't be sure and that is the only reason I say "if." I still believe the original was pretty harsh and I believe the author has admitted as much.

I have worked customer service and retail for over 30 years and I have seen or heard way too many people going off in an emotional manner when a polite request for remedy would have elicited a quicker and more helpful response.

I commend lowfiwhiteguy for his efforts to fix the pen himself, for toning down his original post and for contacting Mr. Mottishaw at the earliest possible convenience.

Waski expressed my sentiments about the clip and I hope lfwg keeps the pen he has now properly tuned and enjoys it for decades to come. I would dearly love a Nakaya myself but, unless I win the lottery, I never will. Despite his initial disappointment lfwg is fortunate to be able to purchase exceptional pens.

Regards,

Brian

Edited by Brian K

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

I'm going to keep the pen, now.

I just don't want to bother with shipping and being without a good math pen for my last exams. This is really a great pen for that... And I don't want to risk changing the nib's characteristics if it's moved into another pen body. This one works great now... So I'll leave well enough alone. The clip is likely the same as any other clip, and I do like how the clip breaks up the red urushi. It's also much more practical than a cigar for being kept in a pocket or in a book bag with the clip.

I'll tighten down the screw as Mr Mottishaw suggested and leave it at that. Anyway, time to study.

Thanks for the input guys... I'm still curious if anyone else has a nib that says NAKAYA on it as opposed to NAKATA.