How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Urushi

lowfiwhiteguy

I want to rename this thread 'How I learned to stop worrying and love the urushi.'

Done!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lowfiwhiteguy

• JonSzanto

• Montecristo

• Keyless Works

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no i did not see the original post. but i do believe that the OP or anyone for that matter has the right to post publicly his or her dismay of a bad transaction before contacting the seller.

Did I say they didn't have the right? No, I didn't. It's just lame, but you may feel differently.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I would guess that the gap (where the clip is inserted into the cap) is by design. If there were no gap and the clip got wrenched slightly from side-to-side several thousand times (normal in everyday use), the cap might crack at that spot.

Very curious about the "NAKAYA" nib.

I've looked closely at the nib in the picture and compared it with mine. Apart from the difference in "NAKAYA" and "NAKATA", it is 100% identical.

I wonder if this "NAKAYA" nib might be developed for an other country or as a special to a specific customer (importer or a big client) of Nakaya.

It does not look like it has been made by hand, adapted, altered, scratched nor has a laser been used. It has been stamped into the nib. This means molds had to be made. Development costs as well as the mold itself are very expensive. I believe this does not look like a mistake or a one of a kind.

I also believe it must be more or less common otherwise Mr Mottishaw must have noticed it, working on the nib.

Would be interesting to know. Does anyone know ?

Edited by brahe

This was stated by the op : I'm a student so this pen took me ages to save up for

This should be taken into consideration before having too much of a go as, for some of us on here, we have funds available to indulge without the saving up aspect which, imo, allows a bit more time to consider options when things arrive not as we expect.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

On the one hand I agree with Pen Nut. On the other however I encounter way to often that people start shooting from the hip and drawing conclusions without taking the time to analyse, do some research, test, maybe ask somebody for advise or simply be patient. My father taught me many lessons and one of which (that I implement in daily life) is that if a letter, e-mail, statement from someone or something you received makes you angry when you first read it / receive it, put it aside and re-read it / revisit it the next day. If it still makes you angry (unless of course we are talking about urgent matters....) draft a response, but do not send it out until (after repeating step 1) you are no longer angry and are not responding from emotions. Does this always work? No, but if everyone would try, the world would be a better place

Edited by Montecristo

Montecristo: I agree with you on this. Let it all cool down a bit before lashing out.

Edited by brahe

http://www.ricecracker.net/files/Nakaya002.JPG

Found this photo in another thread. The nib also says "NAKAYA" and it's a brand new pen. It must be the new engraving standard for newly manufactured nibs. I wager there are probably still large quantities of the old "NAKATA" ones out there, though. May be worth something in a few decades :P

Edited by lowfiwhiteguy

Interesting 'nib-mystery'. This is my Decapod portable writer with a soft M nib received last month. The Japanese characters under '14K' are also different to yours. Does anyone know if this designates nib-size?

post-32861-0-72887200-1408131417_thumb.jpg

Edited by Montecristo

Interesting 'nib-mystery'. This is my Decapod portable writer with a soft M nib received last month. The Japanese characters under '14K' are also different to yours. Does anyone know if this designates nib-size?

Yes it is the nib size. If you look here you can see the different nib sizes:

http://www.nibs.com/NakayaNibsPage.htm

At no point did he blame Classic pens... stop trying to turn a molehill into a mountain

I thought this was a discussion forum, not just a "post threads of praise so everyone feels good" forum

lowiwhiteguy was just trying to see if his nib imprint and clip gap was normal

The fact that nib was misaligned, on a pen, from a seller that happens to be a nib tuner is disappointing

Having so many posts as you do on FPN garageboy, dont you realize if you criticize anything on this forum that everybody gets unhappy? everytime a pen is posted, most OPs expects everybody to go absolutely nuts about it and singing songs of praise and joy about it. It isn't always a discussion tbh..

I'm going to keep the pen, now.

I just don't want to bother with shipping and being without a good math pen for my last exams. This is really a great pen for that... And I don't want to risk changing the nib's characteristics if it's moved into another pen body. This one works great now... So I'll leave well enough alone. The clip is likely the same as any other clip, and I do like how the clip breaks up the red urushi. It's also much more practical than a cigar for being kept in a pocket or in a book bag with the clip.

I'll tighten down the screw as Mr Mottishaw suggested and leave it at that. Anyway, time to study.

Thanks for the input guys... I'm still curious if anyone else has a nib that says NAKAYA on it as opposed to NAKATA.

I saw a few other posters with new nakaya pens with nibs stating NAKAYA instead of Nakata. Probably a new thing from Nakaya. Why don't you shoot them an email to confirm?

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Having so many posts as you do on FPN garageboy, dont you realize if you criticize anything on this forum that everybody gets unhappy? everytime a pen is posted, most OPs expects everybody to go absolutely nuts about it and singing songs of praise and joy about it. It isn't always a discussion tbh..

I saw a few other posters with new nakaya pens with nibs stating NAKAYA instead of Nakata. Probably a new thing from Nakaya. Why don't you shoot them an email to confirm?

The current first post in this thread was edited to tone it down. Indeed, in the original he named Mr. Mottishaw and said he felt this should not have happened. That certainly could be interpreted as blaming Classic Pens. The edit occurred after lfwg adjusted the nib and had talked to John Mottishaw and decided he was in love with his new pen.

Contrary to what you may believe, not everyone thinks there should be nothing but praise on this board. In fact, I have found myself in hot water on other fora if I have made a comment that was seen as less than fulsome praise for some piece of tripe. I do feel, however, in a forum such as this - where we have 80,000 members and can have a profound impact on such a niche industry - we should not damage someone's reputation, and thus their business, without giving them a fair chance to correct an honest mistake or an unitentional mishap first. If things had not worked out so well I would have absolutely no problem with lfwg shouting from the mountain top his displeasure.

Some would say he was showing nothing more than brutal honesty, but in my experience those who use that phrase approvingly enjoy the brutality more than the honesty. I would say that the OP, due to the edit and the thread name change likely agrees. If more of us would try to solve a problem in a calm and cooperative manner most issues would be settled both more quickly and more agreeably. This is probably the most valuable lesson I have learned in over 30 years in customer service and retail. I can usually solve a customer's problem quickly and pleasantly if they simply explain their concern and tell me what they want rather than coming at me loaded for bear. I have even made friends this way, and it looks like lfwg and Mr. Mottishaw are heading in this direction.

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

The current first post in this thread was edited to tone it down. Indeed, in the original he named Mr. Mottishaw and said he felt this should not have happened. That certainly could be interpreted as blaming Classic Pens. The edit occurred after lfwg adjusted the nib and had talked to John Mottishaw and decided he was in love with his new pen.

Contrary to what you may believe, not everyone thinks there should be nothing but praise on this board. In fact, I have found myself in hot water on other fora if I have made a comment that was seen as less than fulsome praise for some piece of tripe. I do feel, however, in a forum such as this - where we have 80,000 members and can have a profound impact on such a niche industry - we should not damage someone's reputation, and thus their business, without giving them a fair chance to correct an honest mistake or an unitentional mishap first. If things had not worked out so well I would have absolutely no problem with lfwg shouting from the mountain top his displeasure.

Some would say he was showing nothing more than brutal honesty, but in my experience those who use that phrase approvingly enjoy the brutality more than the honesty. I would say that the OP, due to the edit and the thread name change likely agrees. If more of us would try to solve a problem in a calm and cooperative manner most issues would be settled both more quickly and more agreeably. This is probably the most valuable lesson I have learned in over 30 years in customer service and retail. I can usually solve a customer's problem quickly and pleasantly if they simply explain their concern and tell me what they want rather than coming at me loaded for bear. I have even made friends this way, and it looks like lfwg and Mr. Mottishaw are heading in this direction.

Ultra +1. And if MrChan would do a bit more reading and paying attention, he would notice that at least one person - me - has walked a perilous line WRT calling out fanbois and overly-praiseworthy postings. No, I'm not a fan of Pollyana happytalk, but that isn't what this thread was about, and knee-jerk reactions - "Oh, you simply *can't* post negatives here!" = is an agenda or a meme.

The OP started in one direction, and commendably corrected course. There are plenty of reasons and times to be as open voiced as a place will allow you (read: CS forum), but this wasn't that kind of thing.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Ultra +1. And if MrChan would do a bit more reading and paying attention, he would notice that at least one person - me - has walked a perilous line WRT calling out fanbois and overly-praiseworthy postings. No, I'm not a fan of Pollyana happytalk, but that isn't what this thread was about, and knee-jerk reactions - "Oh, you simply *can't* post negatives here!" = is an agenda or a meme.

The OP started in one direction, and commendably corrected course. There are plenty of reasons and times to be as open voiced as a place will allow you (read: CS forum), but this wasn't that kind of thing.

Well you don't expect me to read every single post on FPN do you? -_-

Admittedly my conclusion was anecdotal based on previous experiences but I remember just making small yet constructive criticisms on some pens posted and then suddenly the OPs goes all mad..Once I mentioned that the pictures were a little blurry and perhaps that made the pen look decidedly a little less attractive and then OP starts off again on and on..

And then we have reviews about pens that sing praises so high you would have thought the pen was crafted by the hands of God himself. I never ever trust a pen review that gives a pen 10/10 for all characteristics. No pen ever deserves a 10/10 for EVERY single characteristic.

In general though, I still get that vibe that a significant amount of the population have problems with less than positive beaming comments about whatever pens are put up for reviews. The usual comments are if you don't like the pen, don't comment on it..Which hardly makes sense but there you go. That's just my two cents.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

In general though, I still get that vibe that a significant amount of the population have problems with less than positive beaming comments about whatever pens are put up for reviews. The usual comments are if you don't like the pen, don't comment on it..Which hardly makes sense but there you go. That's just my two cents.

You and I couldn't be more in agreement, and, yes, one can't read every post. I hope that didn't come off snarky. Anyway, take a look at this thread, and you'll see how much I'm in sync with your statement above.

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin