Montblanc In The Attic! Help With Id Please...

LittleNik

I found this on a vintage pen site:

136 War Time Meisterstuck

With the vintage 136 War Time fountain pen, collectors will have a writing unit that measures 5 1/8 inches. In addition, it features a rare palladium nib and is recognizable by its black body and gold clip.

Montblanc_War_Time_136_Meisterstuck_Pen_

MONTBLANC_MEISTERSTUCK_136_WAR_TIME_PALL

Rare_Montblanc_Meisterstuck__136_War_Tim

http://vintagepencollectibles.com/Montblanc_Pens.html

1364.png

http://www.maxpens.de/bilder/1364.jpg

Many thanks for all of your comments! It is indeed a lovely pen but will need some restoration. Thanks for the images Stevesurf. There are certainly lots of similarities between the pen I have and those in the pictures. A couple of minor differences are that my pen has a slightly different shaped clip to the one in the pictures - as mentioned above, the pen I have has a clip the same as the 135 in the Pinterest link in my first post here. Also, my pen has a gold band at the bottom of the cap too. One question (I'm a MB novice!) - is the longer number on the barrel a serial number? Is this a different number on every individual pen? The number on my pen is different to the one in this picture.

I'd love to have the pen restored and have emailed Montblanc for advice about this. Whether this is a 135 or 136, does anybody have any idea regarding value, please? As it was with my great grandfathers papers, my father will no doubt restore the pen to keep it but we want to know if it's something we need to look at insuring etc. All the sites I've looked at vary in terms of valuation for these types of pen (135/6). Many thanks - everyone here has been so helpful and encouraging :-)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LittleNik

• chunya

• meiers

• fountainpende

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had some interesting responses regarding the pen...one suggests that the 135 MB never existed! Is this true? What are your opinions? I love a good story and this sounds like it might be one!

Thanks

Had some interesting responses regarding the pen...one suggests that the 135 MB never existed! Is this true? What are your opinions? I love a good story and this sounds like it might be one!

Thanks

I'd never heard of it until you posted the question, only ever heard of the 136,but that means absolutely nothing. Re having it restored there are some superb Meisters who frequent this Forum who I'm sure would do a wonderful job.

I'd never heard of it until you posted the question, only ever heard of the 136,but that means absolutely nothing. Re having it restored there are some superb Meisters who frequent this Forum who I'm sure would do a wonderful job.

Thanks again, Chunya. Max has emailed to say he thinks the pen I have as a 136 and that there wasn't a 135 (The old German '6' can look like a '5' it would seem - although on my pen a '6' in the other number on the barrel does look different in formation to the '5/6' in the 135/6 number). The MB Penology site does not mention 135 but there are some other threads on Fountain Pen Network's MB forum that suggest there is a 135 but that it is extremely, extremely rare - a bit of a Holy Grail even! Then there's the anomaly with the clip on my pen which doesn't look like the 136 clip but does look like the 135 clip in the Pinterest link I first posted. Hhmm....All very exciting and a bit mysterious...I'd love to know more!

at least my 135 (if its one) has some very specific features that I have not seen on a 136. Two thing is for sure,

1) all the pens with 135 imprint seem to be pens from the wartime ... and

2) it reads "135" on the imprint ...

... but of course, on could argue that this is not really a different pen as they are the same size as a 136 ...

... but still, the imprint is "135"

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

Regardless of the perceived rarity of the pen, it is a lovely instrument and (if you like it enough for whatever reasons) it is worthy of expert restoration. After all, "they ain't makin' 'em like that anymore"!

at least my 135 (if its one) has some very specific features that I have not seen on a 136. Two thing is for sure,

... but of course, on could argue that this is not really a different pen as they are the same size as a 136 ...

There you are ....... :thumbup: Some questions answered,further questions posed .....

I have not seen any conclusive proof that 135 exists. If Max doesn't think 135 exists, I believe him. As for the clip, during the War, all metal parts were very scarce, MB used whatever they can get their hands on. I have seen different clips and cap bands on a MB pens manufactured during this period.

I trust max. He is very knowledgable.

I agree! Max is certainly very knowledgeable and well-respected here, I can see. He has been very helpful with my questions. You all have - thank you!

I have not seen any conclusive proof that 135 exists. If Max doesn't think 135 exists, I believe him. As for the clip, during the War, all metal parts were very scarce, MB used whatever they can get their hands on. I have seen different clips and cap bands on a MB pens manufactured during this period.

Thanks for the information. This would make sense, with regard to the clip metal and the historical milieu at the time the pen was manufactured. Being a bit of a romantic though, I'd like to think there was a mysterious 135 or two lurking out there somewhere - a prototype or pen made in secret or something!!! I know I'm getting carried away and I trust Max's opinion that I have a 136, but still... ;) Just pleased we've discovered such a beautiful MB pen to restore.

There you are ....... :thumbup: Some questions answered,further questions posed .....

Thanks Chunya! It's been a real adventure, finding out about our discovery. Still a few questions but it seems a lot clearer, thanks to the forum. :)

Regardless of the perceived rarity of the pen, it is a lovely instrument and (if you like it enough for whatever reasons) it is worthy of expert restoration. After all, "they ain't makin' 'em like that anymore"!

Agreed!! It's a beautiful pen and I think it will be a great writer :-)

What special features does your '135' have? My pen doesn't look like most of the 136 pens I've seen photos of either...The imprint certainly looks more like 135 than 136.

please don't send your lovely pen to Montblanc - they will butcher it. Please send it to either Max, Tom or Francis - they all do excellent work on vintage MBs

best to luck, and please let us all see the pictures once restored to its former glory

cheers, paul

please don't send your lovely pen to Montblanc - they will butcher it. Please send it to either Max, Tom or Francis - they all do excellent work on vintage MBs

best to luck, and please let us all see the pictures once restored to its former glory

cheers, paul

This is the best advice yet!

I agree, it is great that you are getting it restored by an independent professional.

I found another link that seems to indicate that there was no MB 135:

In 1934 the company changed its name to Montblanc-Simplo GmbH, and inthe same years the piston fillers were introduced a feature that still come with the Montblanc pens. In 1936 the famous Montblanc numbering systems were introduced (below) and the company got its first and only filling patent on the Kontrollfüller, a telescopic piston. A new clip with two ridges on top was adopted. Montblanc now produced a whole new series of pens and all previous pens were deleted from production:
  • The Meisterstücks:
    • (102)
    • (109)
    • 122 (L=112 W=12mm)
    • 126 (L= mm W=15mm)
    • 128 (L=128mm W=16mm)
    • 134 (The Standard Meisterstück, L= mm W=14mm)
    • 138 (L=137mm W=16mm)
    • 139 (The Kaiserpen, L=139mm W=18mm)
    • The Middle range:
    • (206)
    • (208)
    • (209)
    • 222 (L=128mm W=12mm)
    • 224 (L=136mm W=13mm)
    • (226)
    • (228)
    • (229)
    • (232)
    • 234 (The "Standard", L=124mm W=14mm)
    • (236)
    • (238)
    • (239)

I also found more interesting pictures, and it seems you've got quite the find there; best of luck!

3-imprint-136.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

973765954.jpg

fpn_1345853395__dscn0268.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Hi Steve,

I dont want to be unpolite, but ... honestly, I do not understand your posting ... just because something is missing somewhere does not mean that it does not exist. That's the problem here.

For example, posting a photo of a sales leaflet that was used before WW II does not provide any information on the pens offered during WW II. Also posting photos of a 136 does not really help ... there was never a doubt that the 136s exist, I have several of them in my collection and one of the photos is from my website.

I found no material (ads etc.) on a 135 ... however, the imprints on my pens and those here definitely state "135" ... in any case, I would be highly interested in some information on these pens ...

I mean, there are many Montblanc pens that we are not (yet) aware of ... just remember all these different transitional models.

Best regards

Michael

PS: By the way, there is one photo there that is really strange ... the first photo from Pencluster shows a 136 with a blind cap .... BUT ... there was never a 136 with such blind cap!?

Edited by fountainpende

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

I agree, it is great that you are getting it restored by an independent professional.

I found another link that seems to indicate that there was no MB 135:

I also found more interesting pictures, and it seems you've got quite the find there; best of luck!

3-imprint-136.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

973765954.jpg

fpn_1345853395__dscn0268.jpg

Thanks Steve - I think I will take the advice given here and have the pen restored independently. Montblanc haven't even replied to my email request for information :( I had already seen the list of MB pens you have posted here, where there is no mention of a 135. It is a mystery, certainly for an MB novice such as myself! The clip (and of course, the number which looks for all the world - to my untrained eye, true - like 135!) on my pen is unlike any other I have seen, except the '135' photos from the original Pinterest link I posted at the start of this thread. It would seem that there are perhaps MB's out there that are not necessarily accounted for in records perhaps and I believe that the MB factory records were destroyed during WW2 so this must make things even more difficult...whatever happens, I'm thrilled with the pen and will be sure to post restoration photos when I get them. Any other information from anyone on the forum would be gratefully received. Thanks again everyone!