Montblanc In The Attic! Help With Id Please...

LittleNik

Hello, my father was cleaning out his attic and discovered a pen, which he thought had belonged to me when a student. He gave it to my son and I became suspicious when I tried to fill it with ink and saw it had an unusual piston type mechanism which I wasn't familiar with. I've done a bit of research and believe it to be a Montblanc. This is certainly possible since my parents have boxes of letters, photographs etc. belonging to ancestors, some of whom would have been able to afford a Montblanc pen! I haven't taken any photos as yet but found this on Pinterest and the pen I have looks pretty much identical, although my pen requires cleaning as the nib has a lot of ink residue on it http://www.pinterest.com/pin/158611218102225278/ Other distinguishing features are what looks like the number 135 on the very bottom of the pen, 652405 (I think) on the next section of the pen up from this. The barrel looks the same as the one in the link picture when held up to the light (browny black with a ridged pattern). The cap has the Montblanc 'star' logo on the top with the words Montbland - Meisterstuck above the thin gold band at the top of the clip. The nib, which is in need of cleaning as I mentioned, has a faint pattern on it which I believe to be the same as the one in the link picture. Do you think this is a genuine Montblanc? Is it a rare model? If so, where would you recommend we take it to get it cleaned/valued? I don't want to send it back to Germany as I'm concerned it may become lost in transit. I've always wanted a Montblanc fountain pen, couldn't believe my luck! Thanks for your help.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LittleNik

• chunya

• meiers

• fountainpende

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems to be a white elephant, the MB 135 is extremely rare. You could contact Francis Goossens aka Fountainbel, Max Schrage aka Maxpens or Tom Westerich to restore your pen.

Thanks Opooh, when you say a 'white elephant' do you mean it could be a fake or just that this pen is extremely rare? Do you know anything about the 135? Many thanks

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck .....

Try and take some clear photos and you'll hopefully get a 'definitive' response ..... If it is a 135 then a very nice find! I've never even seen a photo of one before

Edited by chunya

Thanks for your reply!! Point taken, will try to get photos.

If it is a 135 I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to see photos of it, including me! :thumbup:

OK, so here are some photos. They're the best we can do and the pen is clearly in need of cleaning. Any feedback would be gratefully received. Will post more photos in subsequent 'replies' as the files are too big to upload in one go. Thanks!

Photo doesn't look too clear but we've looked at the number again just now through a photography lens and I'd say with about 90% certainty that it looks like 135.

post-115564-0-15382900-1407918468_thumb.jpeg

post-115564-0-65402400-1407918483_thumb.png

Edited by LittleNik

Much better!

I originally thought 136 ..... but I'm not sure now, and I can't zoom in to get a better image

Edited by chunya

Having difficulty uploading some of the images as they're too large. If you need anything else, let me know and we'll see what we can do. Thanks again.

post-115564-0-04917700-1407918937_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the link. It does look very similar. Only noticeable difference is the actual clip itself which seems slightly different. The clip on the pen I have is smooth and the tip is pointed, like a nib shape. My son and daughter (younger eyes than mine!) are convinced the last digit is a '5'. How different is the 135 from the 136?

It will also help if you place the pen against a ruler to get an idea of its dimensions.

Try taking some photos of the pen against the ruler with the cap on, cap off body only, and length of cap, that will give some of the more knowledgeable people here the details they require to make a definitive decision on the pen

OK, thanks. Whilst we take these photos, here are the measurements: Total length of pen with cap on is 13cm, length of cap alone is 5.8cm, length of pen body without the cap on is 12cm.