Jinhao X450 Cap Is Too Loose

Madam Backslash

Hi all,

I have a Jinhao X450 that was dropped (by me) a while back. Now the cap is so loose it's not really usable. I'm holding it on the pen with electrical tape, but that's not always going to be practical (nor is it the most aesthetically pleasing thing ever).

Is there a way to get the cap back to its usual tight-fitting self? It doesn't need to be quite as tough to get on and off as it was, but I would like it to stay on reliably.

Thanks,

Miche

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Madam Backslash

• bfoutch

• Flounder

• WJM

Miche, most likely the plastic lining inside the cap has cracked. I have an X-450 that was delivered to me that way. The pen is still usable, just not posted. When not in use be sure you put the pen somewhere that it won't get jostled around. You could try wrapping a piece of tape around the pen for the cap to fit over and hold with a friction fit, although it probably won't be snug. The bottom line is the cap probably won't ever fit properly again without replacing the plastic lining.

You also may want to use something other than electrical tape as that will leave a sticky residue on your pen. If you have painter's tape available that might work without being messy.

I don't post anyway so that's not an issue, but it would be nice to have ink not dry out in five minutes. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll get some painter's tape (we call it masking tape) tomorrow and give it a go.

There are loads of $8 fountain pens out there. I have many of them. I like them. I also have a $100 fountain.

So, what do I get for the additional $92 ? The list continues.

The x450 still works ? Keep it. Use it at your desk. A replacement cap for the Jinhao x450 costs $8. It comes

with a new pen, at no additional charge.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Unscrew the top off the cap and remove clip and inner cap.

Use a thin tape to wrap the inner cap where it is cracked.

Wrap the tape around the cracker inner capi very tygtly.

There are loads of $8 fountain pens out there. I have many of them. I like them. I also have a $100 fountain.

So, what do I get for the additional $92 ? The list continues.

The x450 still works ? Keep it. Use it at your desk. A replacement cap for the Jinhao x450 costs $8. It comes

with a new pen, at no additional charge.

Hah, I knew somebody would say "It's an $8 pen, ditch it." It's not an $8 pen here (there are no $8 pens here) and I'm reluctant to replace something if I can fix it.

Taping up the inner cap as per the video worked.

Thank you to everybody who responded -- you are legends!

• 1 month later...

Here's an old

I remembered which might help if you want to try fixing the inner cap.
Yet another amazingly useful SBRE Brown video.

This post is brought to you by the Search function, caffeine, and the letter J (he says with his X450 capping with a satisfying click once again).

Yet another amazingly useful SBRE Brown video.This post is brought to you by the Search function, caffeine, and the letter J (he says with his X450 capping with a satisfying click once again).

Yes. S B R E Brown is a joy and a wonder. I've found the repaired caps don't click on as tightly as they did before they broke, but I'm not sure that's always such a bad thing. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

New member here. Just thought I would bump this thread and share my repair experience with a broken inner plastic cap on a Jinhao 450. After viewing a couple videos like the one mentioned above, I decided to give it a try and was able to make a successful repair. Here is what I did:

First, I used an 8mm (5/16) hex wrench to remove the inner plastic cap from the outer cap. This is really easy; just insert long end of hex wrench into the cap (into the plastic inner cap) until it engages the hex recess molded into the plastic inner cap. Using slight upward (gently push the hex wrench toward the top of the cap so it doesn't slip out) turn the wrench counter-clockwise to loosen the inner cap from the outer cap. A couple turns and it will fall right out. Once out you will be able to see why this works.

Now that it is out, find the crack and glue it back together using super glue. You can do this using capillary action by inserting a pencil or ballpoint pen, of a size that will very slightly spread the crack open, into the plastic inner cap. Lay a thin bead of super glue along the whole distance of the crack and then remove the pencil or pen and hold the crack closed with your fingers a couple seconds until glue is set, wiping off any excess both inside and outside.

To ensure the crack remains closed, wrap a single layer of 1/2 inch electrical tape (electrical tape is slightly stretchy, so it will exert force to hold the crack tightly closed) around the circumference of the inner plastic cap starting at the bottom (open end.) Overlap about 1/8 to 1/4 inch to ensure a good bond. Next, wrap another piece of tape around the circumference just above the previous piece. Lastly, wrap one more piece of tape around the circumference centered on the concave radius that is inside the plastic inner cap that the section snaps into (the tape goes on the outside like the previous two wraps.) This is about halfway up the inside of the plastic inner cap. You will be doubling the tape with this final layer, but it will still fit back in the outer cap.

To reassemble, place the hex wrench back in the plastic inner cap and, using the wrench, push the inner cap back into the outer cap and screw it clockwise back into the outer cap. Do not use too much force to screw it back in. Just snug will do. Remove the hex wrench and try snapping the pen back into the cap. It should give a satisfying snap now. If the pen wobbles a bit, use the hex wrench again to push and turn (clockwise) the plastic inner cap a little farther up into the outer cap.

This worked for me, so I hope it helps you as well.

Added - The credit for the hex wrench use goes to knappinman: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/256919-jinhao-broken-cap-fix/

Many thanks. Sorry, I hadn't remembered where I saw this before.

Bruce

Edited by bfoutch

No $8 pens here? Where in hell are you? Jinhaos (x450 and x750s) are available from e-bay for $2 (+/-) when bought four or six at a time with free shipping!

• 6 months later...

Here's an old Stephen Brown youtube clip I remembered which might help if you want to try fixing the inner cap.

Did anyone try it? I just got my second X450. The cap's fine, but as an experiment I wanted to try and dissasemble it. The black top of the cap just won't move.

I even tried with pilers, which was kinda dumb, as though wrapped the cap in a rubber glove I still scratched some of the black laquer off. Other than that, it didn't even budge.

Edited by WJM

Did you try using the 8mm hex wrench from the inside as I have done successfully, and described a couple posts up from here? No need to remove the cap.

I should have said 'top of cap' before, not just cap when using the hex wrench. You do need to remove the cap, but not the top of the cap to use the 8mm hex wrench.

The advantage of electrical tape over scotch tape, is that electrical tape is slightly stretchy and will exert a force to hold the crack closed.

Hah, I knew somebody would say "It's an $8 pen, ditch it." It's not an $8 pen here (there are no $8 pens here) and I'm reluctant to replace something if I can fix it.

Like you, I too live in New Zealand, but I have bought several Jinhao pens directly from China on Ebay. Mostly for just a few dollars. Several of these have been Jinhao X450's for under NZ$4 with free delivery. So if you realy like the pen, buy another one the same on Ebay, in case the repair fails sometime in the future. I have bought from several different Chinese Ebay sellers and all with free postage and all have arrived within a coulple of weeks. Try it --- and you will find a large number of good cheap pens out there!

Having said that, I entirely understand your desire to repair, as I too cannot bring myself to throw out a broken pen, and often go to silly lengths to make one usable again. Besides there is a degree of satisfaction in salvaging a broken pen.

• 2 weeks later...

The hex wrench worked, thanks for the advice.

However, I have another, similar problem. Jinhao X750 just arrived. The cap closes well, but rotates loosely. I thought I'll try to do something with the inner cap to make it more tight, but here the hex wrench just doesn't work. Anyone tried something with that? It seems to me that there is a normal screw down the cap, maybe a standard screwdriver would do...