Is This A Waterman Jif Set?

finansista

Hello all Waterman fans.

This is my first post in Waterman forum since the set below is actually the first Waterman i own. I got it along with some other pens and from my research it appears to be a 70s or 80s school pen named Waterman JIF. Am I right?

I wonder if the ballpoint is actually matching the pen or from a different model. The red/orange plastic is definitely the same and it has the same logo on the top.

Will be grateful for any comments and info about this model. Thanks.

fpn_1407848108__waterman_jif_set-1.jpg

fpn_1407848120__waterman_jif_set-2.jpg

fpn_1407848130__waterman_jif_set-3.jpg

PS. I will be probably selling this set, but I already do have another Waterman on my mind :) Concorde.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nath

• RMN

• finansista

• Ernst Bitterman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no pen called Waterman JIF.

JIF stands for Jules Isidore Fagard, who was the Frenchman who bought out Waterman. Afterwards Waterman was a French company, called Waterman JIF for a while.

I don't know exactly which types of pen these are, but they were about the cheapest Waterman had to offer, so don't expect to become rich over the sale of these. (But you never know, the Waterman Phileas now fetches high prices...)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

There is no pen called Waterman JIF.

JIF stands for Jules Isidore Fagard, who was the Frenchman who bought out Waterman. Afterwards Waterman was a French company, called Waterman JIF for a while.

I don't know exactly which types of pen these are, but they were about the cheapest Waterman had to offer, so don't expect to become rich over the sale of these. (But you never know, the Waterman Phileas now fetches high prices...)

D.ick

I actually used the following thread to identify the pen:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/230204-waterman-inexpensive-fountain-pen-to-identify/

Regarding the worth - I don't expect it to be high in this case.

But you are right about some once-cheap models being sought-after now - see my signature for an example of such school pen ;)

Filip

Edited by finansista

This is a cheap Waterman school pen from the early 80's. I don't know if it was already produced in the 70's as well. I had one of these pens in elementary school in 1982. In Belgium it was quite popular back then as a school pen. Your black one with the orange clip was very common (and the one I had), but it came in different colour combinations as well.

Even though I have no idea what exact name of this pen was, it was known as a Jif pen from Waterman because it could be found at stationaries or newspaper stores in boxes similar to this

JIF_FP.JPG

This picture (courtesy of pentooling.com) is of the pen that succeeded it in the mid 80's, but the you get the idea if you look at the logo in the top right hand corner. The clip and nib were even more or less the same as in your pen.

The ballpoint pen you have is of a similar date, but of a different type. There were ballpoints and rollerballs with the same design as your pen, as you can see in this picture (courtesy of ebay seller piedra1963)

waterman%2Btrio.JPG

I seem to recall that it was quite a good writer. Better than a lot of other school pens me and my classmates used.

It was a very cheap pen back in the day. So I guess it's value nowadays won't be very high either. However, out of nostalgia I would certainly buy one again if I ever come across it. And most likely end up paying more for it than it was sold for when new :)

The Concord pen you like is in a different league altogether. They are rather small, but have a very nice design. Be aware though that a lot of them have cracks in the section around the nib where they can leak ink. When I bought mine, I had to reject quite few in order to get a good one.

Hello,

I have "exactly" the same (black plastic and yellow' clip) :) . The name of the model is “Jiffie” produced between 1980 and 1990 by Waterman (French period).

@RMN, it exist or more exactly, it was existed pens called “Jif”, “Jif 2”, “Jif 31”, “Jiffie”. Of course these naming come from the old JIF Company and these pens were “school pens”, so cheap as already mentioned by finansista.

Cheers

Edited by Nath

Thank you Nath. I stand corrected and my apologies to Finansista.

Nath, would you have pictures of these different "Jif" pens to post here on FPN? That would be very educational.

D.ick

~

~

It's not really easy to find information on old cheap school pens!

At a minimum, there existed pens Jif, Jif 2 Jif 22, Jif 31 and Jiffie.

I have one Jif 2, one Jif 31 and one Jiffie, all cheap FP in plastic with steel nib (often F).

Jiffie, 1980/1990 – 14,2 mm closed, 12,3 open, 16,3 posted - 12/8 mm diameter - 6,7/12,3 g without cartridge (old Waterman logo)

Jif 2, 1980/1990 – 14,9 mm closed, 12,4 open, 16,6 posted - 11/8 mm diameter - 7,0/11,8 g without cartridge (new Waterman logo)

Jif 31, 1990/2000 – 13,5 mm closed, 12,4 open, 15,3 posted - 11/8 mm diameter - 6,4/10,3 g without cartridge

I haven’t Jif (1960s) and Jif 22 (1980s) and not yet photos

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/179030Jiffie.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/558693Jif2.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/697361Jif31.jpg

Wow, that's lovely Nath, thank you very much.

D.ick

~

~

So close. Any notion which one this is?

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Waterman-0455.jpg

The body is closest to the Jiffie (a pentagonal cross-section!), but the clip has more complexity-- that gold bit has a spring which slips onto something like a trimmed-down version of the "surfboard" clips seen on most of the other stuff in this thread.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bought four Waterman school pens back in the 70's.

They are made of white plastic with various section/clip color - red, yellow, blue and green.

I remember them to be called "JIF" in Japan.

I've lost all of them but recently purchased one with green accent color.

post-25796-0-63086500-1410098778.jpg

And here is a snapshot from an old catalog of Waterman pens referring a similar black pen.

You can see the name of pen shown as "JIF 22".

post-25796-0-90971500-1410098788_thumb.jpg

I believe your pen is one of those "JIF" school pens made by Waterman.

Tor

• 2 months later...

I have yet to open this Jules Verne pen package. The one I did use was stolen a few years ago (I bought 2). I managed to buy a white version with green clip and it writes very well. I have to say that this Jif might be as tough as a Rotring Rivette. It is very durable as a school pen. I am sure it would stand being walked on.

post-50383-0-02242400-1416190218_thumb.jpg

post-50383-0-74066900-1416190220_thumb.jpg

post-50383-0-04024900-1416190224_thumb.jpg

Thanks for showing these very detailed pictures.

D.ick

~

~