Help With Cross Pen/pencil Set 6601

xgamerms999

I was just given a set of these by my grandma, they were my grandpa's, but I don't have the manual, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Doing a google search only resulted in sales links, and I want to know if/where I can buy replacement ink, and how to do it, and the same with the lead for the pencil. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-115511-0-65755100-1407815726_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmcf1949

• blINK

• Art

• xgamerms999

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think that Staples, Office Depot, Walmart, etc. would have the refills and lead for this set. Amazon would have it online. It's a nice looking set and a nice way to have a remembrance of Grandpa. Enjoy it.

Hi and welcome to FPN.

Nice set you have got.

The pencil will not be a problem, you can buy spare leads everywhere, does not have to be Cross. Just see what the size is: 0.5, 0.7 or 0.9 mm. I think 0.7

The ballpoint MAY give some problems. I remember there were posts here on the forum about Cross BP refills. I think the older pens of this size had an other size of refill that is not available any more. Have a look here at the forum a couple of months back.

Edit: see this link if it applies to you: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/267468-ge-issued-cross-products/

Good luck

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I've got a few fairly old Cross ballpoints and the cross refills and the generic ones that Staples had fit ok and worked fine. Take the pen with you to the store, it can't hurt to give it a try. Good luck with it.

Very nice set and a great remembrance. I think you will be okay with the standard ballpoint refills. I think the issue earlier in the year was a selectip refill.

Any of the office stores should have the ballpoint refill. Also the pencil lead. As mentioned, it will probably be 0.7 mm but since you don't have the paperwork, you may have to do a bit of trial and error.

May I ask what the logo is on the set? It looks like Si?

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

I am sure this is a silly comment, the instructions/manual are usually inside the box. I assume you lifted up the top tray to check underneath. Suggest you look at the Cross website for the type of refills available and should be available at Office Depot, Staples, some jewelry stores, office supply, etc. Ball point refills are available in blue and black either fine or medium point. Cross has offered other colors in the past. The pencil will need lead refills and eraser refills. The eraser is under the cap. Pencil refills can be self contained cartridges, or loose lead and eraser. Re-seating the pencil cap may require a modicum of finesse to have it seat flush. Also, Cross has a lifetime warranty should you need repairs.

As far as I know, all Cross ballpoints are refilled in the same way, i.e. the cap pulls straight up, which will show a black or blue plastic top, which unscrews to remove the refill.

The refills sold today seem to fit all the Cross ballpoints I have, and are easily found in office supply stores.

If your Cross mechanical pencil is empty, you will need to find out which size lead it takes, common sizes are 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm but there are others also.

Trial and error may be the only way to find the right size for your version.

I don't know if your pen & pencil set has a label on it somewhere, but they are from the 'Classic Century' range.

A few weeks ago I described how the mechanical pencil operates, it's post #11 at;

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/14687-instructions-for-century-cross-pencil-09mm/

I used to have the same pencil in chrome. It will take 0.5mm leads, which are available at any office supply store

(I eventually gave mine to my wife; it's really too slim for my taste.)

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

As others have said, standard Cross ballpoint refills will work fine. Just pull the cap straight off, unscrew the old refill and screw in the new one. It doesn't need to be over-tightened.

Regarding the pencil leads, if your pencil is of a certain age, and I guess this one is, it will be the 0.9mm leads you will need. Later Cross pencils had 0.5mm leads but these are easy to identify because there is a slim tube that extends with the lead to protect it as it protrudes from the point. The 0.9mm leads don't have this.

Only quite recently has Cross made pencils to take 0.7mm leads.

Once you know what size to get, any refills will work; you don't have to buy Cross leads.

Only quite recently has Cross made pencils to take 0.7mm leads./quote]

Excellent point. I apologize for my erroneous post earlier. I was thinking 0.9 when I said 0.7mm.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

• 5 months later...

Very nice set and a great remembrance. May I ask what the logo is on the set? It looks like Si?

Thanks so much for all the replies you guys, sorry I haven't had the time to check back and post.

It does indeed say "Si", for Sycor Inc. My grandfather was VP of Engineering there.

• 4 years later...

A bit late to the party here, but here goes. My Cross pencil is stamped 0.9 in the chrome underneath the cap which pulls off. Yours might reveal the proper lead size in this manner as well.

• 2 months later...

As far as I know, all Cross ballpoints are refilled in the same way, i.e. the cap pulls straight up, which will show a black or blue plastic top, which unscrews to remove the refill.

The refills sold today seem to fit all the Cross ballpoints I have, and are easily found in office supply stores.

If your Cross mechanical pencil is empty, you will need to find out which size lead it takes, common sizes are 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm but there are others also.

Trial and error may be the only way to find the right size for your version.

I don't know if your pen & pencil set has a label on it somewhere, but they are from the 'Classic Century' range.

A few weeks ago I described how the mechanical pencil operates, it's post #11 at;

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/14687-instructions-for-century-cross-pencil-09mm/

My pencil says 0.9 stamped in the chrome under the cap. Pull yours apart and have a look.

Unscrew the pencil - and on the side of the pencil there should be an engraving telling you which lead to use. It may be in imperial measurements and you may have to use a loupe to read it.

I found that Cross ballpoint fills do fit (certainly they fit my grandfather's one). You do not want the select tip ones.

You pull the pen apart and unscrew the refill (unlike Parker Jotters) and then pop a new one in.

More as likely, this is the one you want. https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/CR41125/cross-ballpoint-pen-refill