What Are The Best Ballpoint Pens? Share Your Thoughts!

theodore94

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to FPN and pen collecting in general. I am particularly interested in ballpoint pens... I'm a full-time student and I do most of my work in ballpoint.

I have a few pens that I've bought used, and I want to know what you think are the best ballpoints you have purchased/used. These can be at any price point and a pen can be your favorite for any reason.

My favorite pen (by far) is my Classique Montblanc Meiserstuck, followed by a few designer pens (Tiffany and Givenchy). I have a Waterman Maestro and a Waterman Phileas that I really like. And on the lower end of the price scale I still think Cross makes handsome, dependable, and inexpensive ballpoints.

What are your favorites? Any ideas for my next pen?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonydent84

• usk15

• pajaro

• torstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cross Century ball points are very good. I've heared Cross are generally known for the best.

Best fillings are the goliath ones .can be found in caran d Ache ballpointi also like the smoothness of the Dupont ballpoints

Lamy and Parker BP refills are still my favorite. MB too expensive IMO, thank goodness I have some NOS refills tucked away.

Sometimes Lamy M-16 refills are great, some are so-so. I've never figured out why. The old reliable Parker gets my nod for consistency.

Where I can, I use Pilot G-2 refills in rollerballs, often these fit existing pens with a variety of shims etc. The G-2 is superior to Lamy, Waterman and other roller refills and are much longer-lasting.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Cross, because the point doesn't wiggle around. I have a couple of Townsends, and those are the only ballpoints I own. They're also the only pens I own with my name engraved on the side, because ball points have a horrible habit of going walkabouts. I know it won't stop it happening, but I hope whoever "borrows" one feels guilty when they see my name on the side.

Edited by Namru

Lamy and Parker BP refills are still my favorite.

Yep. But I think that Faber Castell is a cheaper alternative that's much better though. A medium Faber Castell is smoother than a bold Parker Idk why though. And in Australia, the price of a Parker refill is twice that of Faber Castell

My favorite is the Parker Jotter, although the more expensive Parker ballpoints also use the same refill. You can also use a gel refill in this pen. It writes on lots of surfaces, writes well, writes smoothly, and it looks good.

As far as looks, I like the Parker Duofold ballpoint the best. Am I allowed to say that I like the looks of the Duofold ballpoint better than I like the Duofold fountain pen?

I've tried Cross, but I didn't care for that pen as well. It didn't write as smoothly.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I like the MB refills. I have three of their ballpoints and find them all pleasure to write with. I don't think there is a best anything in the world, they are my favourites thoug.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

For me it is all about the refill and the ones that most real pen manufacturers make are terrible. Montblanc and Parker make OK ones but I wouldn't actually use their refills in any of my pens. Monteverde makes some good gel and liquid refills that will fit most ballpoint pen styles and I highly recommend using these.

I think I will buy a Karas Customs Bolt or Bolt G2 in the future as these look nice a take a common refill size that will afford me with lots of choice.

Well I've only tried numerous ballpoints (Parker, Cross, Sheaffer, what used to be Papermate, many no-names, etc) over the years, but the best by far is the Jinhao one that I bought which actually glides on the paper. All other ballpoints seem to drag

Edited by WateryFlow

Aloha - Don't overlook the hand-crafted exotic wood pens, some works of art. My favorite is from the truly rare KOA tree found only in Hawaiian Isles (Google koa, fiddleback koa, curly koa, blond koa, spalted koa is really exotic), but are hand-turned by wood craftsmen worldwide. Most use high-quality Parker refills. There are various shapes, weights, and trim selections include sterling silver, gold plate, chrome, etc. Plenty websites on the history and mystique of Koa wood and products. My second choice is Amboyna Burl, especially pieces that contain honey-golden sapwood to contrast the brown burl.

post-59195-0-65369200-1407782045_thumb.jpg

post-59195-0-37886800-1407782082_thumb.jpg

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

The function of a ballpoint pen is entirely dependent on the refill.

Who makes the best refills ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Aloha - photos: Lighter color is KOA blond spalted wood. Darker is the traditional koa fiddleback or curly and deep 3-D qualities as it turns in the light. Style is "Cigar", 10k gp trim

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

Itoya gel Parker-style refill in a first-year Jotter BP.

You get the performance and smoothness of a modern refill, with the style and cool-factor of an early BP.

I have a grey one and a red one that I carry frequently and that stay on my desk at work when not in my pocket.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

The MB Meisterstuck is my pick. I have used both the MB and Monteverde refills and prefer the MB.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Working as a hospital chaplain means I fill out a lot of paperwork, including carbon forms, so after spending my internship using a Cross BP I decided to treat myself to a Caran d'Ache 849. The Goliath refills are reliable and don't get gunk buildup like my Cross refills did. Smooth? Well... relative to ballpoints, I guess it writes okay. I love the hexagonal barrel. I chose the bright red color so I always know which pen is mine when I'm on the floor.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

For when I do I have to use a BP, I like Cross and MB, as others have mentioned. I also think Rotring has a nice BP, but I tend to like heavier pens.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

I believe Waterman refills are the best. As a plus, the ballpoint refills and rollerball refills interchange.

Parker refills are excellent too, and I like click top pens for one-hand convenience in the supermarket, crossing stuff off the list. Jotter and Pelikan K xxx pens are pretty nice and use the same refills.

What's in my pocket each day is a Montblanc 164R. The latest refill has been in there eight years.

The broad refills are my favorites.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.