This Pen Really Sucks... Up The Ink

jj9ball

Ok so here is about 7 hours of work... These things really do suck in more ways than one. This is (obviously) about the hardest pen build I have ever had. The pen ended up WAY too long (I'll remedy that on the next one :D ). It ended up 6 5/8" long capped... oops. Its still 6 inches long uncapped, but surprisingly comfortable to write with. If you are wondering what the black tint is... its my over zealous need to throw in some x feather and see what happens. And it actually does work. It sucks up ink and everything. The nib is a fine point polished bock (haven't figured out how to do the JOWO feeds with the breather tube yet). The sack is a #17. The next one will have a shorter sack... I just guessed at the size this time and the next one will have a different connection/nipple mechanism. There are a few other things I will probably do different, but all in all I do feel like I just climbed a big ole mountain. I would love to hear what people think. I would love to hear about anybody else's issues making and designing pens like this. In particular I would really like to know how big the reservoir is on everyone else's (Mine ended up being around 1 3/4" long and 11.25mm in diameter). I think I made mine too big which is what contributed to the excessive length... that and sack size. Enough ranting please comment. :unsure:

Jeff.

Come see some of my handmade pens!!!

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• duncsuss

• canibanoglu

• sd10521

• jj9ball

Top Posters In This Topic

Clever. The old cheapo Wing Sungs I have that use this filling design are among the easiest and fastest to fill in my collection. And they fill to the very top. A great choice.

I like that you can open it up to easily access the sac. Something like that might encourage me to give that type of filling mechanism another try. :)

Very sharp! I really like bulb-filling pens. I have many Wahl pens from Bantams to Steno pens that fill this way.

Excellent work.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Nice :thumbup:

My bulb filler is my most used pen, I have the specs of what bits I used to drill out the chamber, etc, in a notepad someplace -- when I get a chance I'll hunt for them and get back to you with dimensions and stuff.

Duncan Suss

Facebook: FruitOfTheLathe

Nice work and color.

I like the idea of an extra long pen even if it's not shirt pocket friendly for the extra ink it will hold while you are away from your favorite ink bottle.