Twsbi 580Al - Snap

Komitadjie

So, was just re-assembling my TWSBI 580AL this afternoon after pulling it down for a good cleaning between inks, and at about 3/4 seated, the threaded portion separated cleanly from the rest of the section. I'm quite familiar with how much torque to put onto parts, and this was nowhere near even "snug," much less over-torqued.

I've contacted TWSBI to see about spare parts, this is less than a month of light use old!

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p603/Komitadjie/IMG_20140808_163433_zpsfe3105dc.jpg

So, question for you guys: When I get the new section, how do I go about removing my lovely Pendleton BLS nib from this one, and placing it into the new one? Also, how should I go about removing the sheared-off bit of threaded plastic from inside the body without causing additional damage? I'm pondering just being very careful with a dental pick and seeing if I can get it to move.

I'll update this as I make progress on the repairs!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Komitadjie

• Diver

• kidde

• Oldparkerguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with some very helpful advice from Pendleton, I removed the nib and feed from the damaged holder without any trouble. Very simple, just a friction fit that a careful pull separates.

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p603/Komitadjie/IMG_20140808_201243_zps75bc7092.jpg

It took a BIT more work, but I was also able to remove the snapped-off part from the threaded portion of the body. I almost broke one of my dental picks, and ended up resorting to using a nail with the point ground flat, then shaped into a sort of flat, chisel-pointed hook to bite into the damaged plastic part. I then slowly worked it around until it came loose. It took a fair bit of care, but I was able to do it without damaging the threads in the body at all.

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p603/Komitadjie/IMG_20140808_201419_zps8c45dba5.jpg

Edited by Komitadjie

Good careful work. Helpful info,very good pictures. If we ever have to go to there.

Thanks

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

Thanks for taking the time to write up and photograph this. I ended up on FPN after a Google search suggested a post similar to yours. These are a part of why FPN is such a great resource.

Thanks again!

Paul

Edited by kidde

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

A very helpful fellow by the name of Philip Wang contacted me first thing this morning, and has requested my shipping address to send me replacement parts. I must say, I am very impressed with how quickly they responded!

It's really handy how quick and easy smartphones have made sharing pictures as you go along! :)

And today the new nib holder showed up in the mail! Good, quick, friendly service from TWSBI, I was quite impressed. You can see that my tool slightly mauled the exposed, cracked face of the old nib holder as I removed it from the body.

I'm working right now on generation two of that tool, I'd LIKE to turn it into a small screw-driver type tool that I can just stick in and twist the old component out, with the body threads protected. Shouldn't be too tough to do, I think, just needs a bit more refinement to be perfect. I'm thinking it will have a short little central nub that indexes in the feed hole, and slightly recessed wings that come to a sharp point to grip and rotate the broken-off component. They'll be slightly recessed from the OD of the tool shaft, which will be sized to fit the minor diameter of the internal threads, so the threads will be protected from damage. Should be interesting to set up, if I can manage it!

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p603/Komitadjie/IMG_20140815_114208_zps6997abb4.jpg

Note that I asked for the nib holder only, and that is precisely what they sent. The two o-rings that seal the nib holder into the body were NOT included! So many sure you salvage those two pieces from your broken one before you throw it away, or request those parts as well. I don't reflect this on TWSBI or Philip what-so-ever, I specifically asked for just the nib holder, and he sent me precisely what I requested! You will find one of these o-rings where the steel front grip section fits over the holder next to the nib, and the other inside the recess where the nib holder threads to the body (the part that broke off and remained stuck into the body threads).

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p603/Komitadjie/IMG_20140815_114315_zpsf8db96e7.jpg

Gave the o-rings just the lightest possible coat of silicone grease, put them back onto the pen where they belonged. The nib and feed slid right back together.

The feed has a small recess where the nib sits so you can't mis-locate it, and the feed is keyed to the proper location on the nib holder. Just set the nib in place on the feed, gently slide it into the nib holder, and rotate it slowly feeling for where the nib properly fits. There's no question when you've found the correct location, the nib easily slips another eighth-inch deeper into the holder.

After that, I just threaded everything back together as normal. Up and running again!

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p603/Komitadjie/IMG_20140815_114745_zps367590db.jpg

Edited by Komitadjie

Excellent service from TWSBI. Glad you got it all sorted.

D.

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

I am certainly quite impressed. Aside from it simply not having happened in the first place, I can't think of anything they could have done to make it any easier or more painless. Philip even offered to send me a new body along with the nib holder, in the assumption that I would likely not be able to remove the broken-off stub from the threads, but I was able to solve that with some home-brew tooling before he offered, so that was not required.

I'm certainly pleased with TWSBI, this would not at all deter me from purchasing another one. I'm particularly impressed with how easy-to-assemble their nib and feed setup is.