A Custom Made Pen By One Of Our Own Fpn Members!

IAmTheMusic

Hello all!

It's been a while since my last review, but I need to take some time now to review the fruits of a collaboration between my desire for a beautiful work and a FPN member! I have been writing, for over a year, a large scale piece of music dedicated to the life of Leonardo da Vinci. He is a great person hero of mine (and rightly so). It's near completion, and is a good 40 minutes long. I am excited for it's premiere this coming year in New York. I was fascinated with the "Leonardo" by Montblanc, but a hefty $3,600 price tag held me back. HOWEVER,

When I emailed a gentleman by the name of Tim Self, of our own Fountain Pen Network, he explained to me that he could create a truly custom piece for me. I will explain details as we move along.

(Before we begin, I will note that there is some degree of bias in my review. Tim and I discussed what would be on the pen, how it would look, etc.. I will not be offended should you disagree with my review, but I will defend this bad boy!)

Appearance/Design:

The pen is visually dazzling. The amount of care and craftsmanship are amazing. Every time I look at the pen, it's a new adventure. Due to my musical background, Tim had explained that he could take the "Flying" melody from my work (and from da Vinci's fascination with flight) and print it right onto the pen cap! The body says Leonardo da Vinci and has gold inlay over the metal. Opposite that there is a print of the wing Leonardo used to study flying, and a small backward inscription from the corresponding codex. I wish I could award a 11/10 for this exceptional work, but alas, I can only offer a 10/10.

post-110544-0-88150000-1407539379_thumb.jpg

post-110544-0-12207800-1407539450_thumb.jpg

Function:

This baby is heavy. But, the cap does not post which is good for balance. The pen sits quite comfortably between my index finger and thumb. As for the use of the pen, the ink is delivered evenly, precisely, and very cleanly. I have had no trouble with bleeding with even the lightest of manuscripts.

Nib: Tim fitted her with a Bock nib. Stainless steel, very sturdy, yet still elegant. I'm very happy, indeed.

Filling System: I was told that this pen will accept universal cartridges. Being a stickler for tradition, I enjoy bottled ink or a well. I use Waterman ink almost exclusively, unless a brand (i.e. my Parker) specifies using another. The converter Tim gave me was long and very easy to fill. It is quick to suck up ink and remains leak free. Converter leaks have been an issue lately, unfortunately, so this is nice.

Not surprisingly, I will award 10/10. Though she is heavy, I could still use this pen on a daily basis. It is VERY comfortable. I'll just need an insurance plan, first ;).

Below, you can see the "Wing" and the writing from the journal on flight.

post-110544-0-77643300-1407539980_thumb.jpg

Below is the name of the hero honored by this pen!

post-110544-0-64870600-1407540552_thumb.jpg

Here is the melody of flight from my piece "The Da Vinci Trail" expertly placed about the cap.

post-110544-0-64847100-1407540605_thumb.jpg

And here, pay attention to the curvature and lines drawn out by the pens body and converter. It may just be me, but I particularly like the dynamics of width. It adds character ;)

post-110544-0-97875700-1407540704_thumb.jpg

Cost, Value and Cost/Value

This beauty only cost me about $500, yet it is priceless due to the fact that it is MY pen, and it is the only one like it. I must say that I had VERY high expectations when receiving this pen, and they have still be far exceeded. In point, I should tell you directly that it obviously does not matter if the pen maker is a large company, or a small operation like Tim's. Having used a Montblanc on several occasions (executive series), I can safely say that there is no reason for a $3,600 cost, and works of art just as beautiful and just as well made (or better) are out there. I wouldn't trade MY pen for anything. Thanks for the many years of happy writing I will enjoy, Tim Self!

Cost: $460

Value: Much more than that.

Cost/Value ratio: Since this is a priceless possession of mine, the cost to value ratio isn't quite fair to say :)

Overall Rating: Due to the wealth of beauty in my new piece, the unique qualities it shares, and the general excellence in it's writing, I award 10/10 for this pen. Again, I wish I could award more so I'm sure you see my point!

Thanks for reading, and please, if I missed something, or you have questions, don't hesitate to ask! I have all good things to say!

Sincerely,

Kevin E. Phillips II

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IAmTheMusic

• Tim Self

• mrchan

• TheRealScubaSteve

This is a beautiful pen! I can say the price is about right for your custom design and request!

Wow! That's a really nice looking pen! How long did it take to make, from design discussions to final product? Is the pen made of copper or brass material?

Truly a one of a kind pen! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Wow! That's a really nice looking pen! How long did it take to make, from design discussions to final product? Is the pen made of copper or brass material?

Thanks for the compliment! It will mean much to my friend as well. We began talking about this June 30th. I emailed him with a picture of the idea I liked, and he went after it. I believe it took him about 2 weeks to make. This past Wednesday, I held my bladder as I entered the Post Office to pick it up! The metals are copper, riveted aluminum (following up on the mechanical mind of da Vinci) and gold foil of sorts all cast in resin. I THINK that's right...I'm sure he'll be able to explain when he sees this. In fact, the pen has been entered into a competition!

Actually, the plating is rhodium alloy and black titanium. It is the coloring of the photo that gives that impression.

Here are a few pictures I used to submit it into a contest.

post-50978-0-38495100-1407558529_thumb.jpg

post-50978-0-17376900-1407558571.jpgpost-50978-0-84342200-1407558593_thumb.jpg

It is an aluminum base for the barrels with clear printed waterslide decals laid on those barrels. (This was the real fun part.) Then cast in plastic resin.

Thank you Kevin for a review such as this. I appreciate it very much and the positive comments I've received as well.

Edited by Tim Self

Tim

You can't fix stupid.

Tim, thank you for your input! Is there any way more people can see this pen? I see many reviews with many views within moments...I'd really like to show this pen off, as I'm sure you would too...

What a lovely, unique pen! Congratulations to Tim on his superb craftsmanship and to Kevin on this beautiful acquisition.

I think you need some Montblanc Leonardo Red Chalk ink for this. ;)

Edited by betweenthelens

That's a good suggestion! I really only have a few types of inks...it would be nice to have more. AND new manuscript...

Thanks Keyless Works! I wish I could share it for a test run! Such a fine weight and balance to it. Out of all of the expensive things that I have ever purchased, this one I will NEVER regret. A total masterpiece.

Hi Kevin, very nice pen indeed and congratulations on such a beautiful piece of writing instrument.

BTW: What nib does it have, eg is it a German Bock nib etc.

Yes, it is a fine Bock in stainless. Fine flex. Each nib is adjusted and tested prior to delivery and Kevin only had to ink it and go.

Tim

You can't fix stupid.

Thats an exceptional FP. The nib could have been an italic or stub, then even the writing sample / written records / written musical notes would have matched the happiness of its possession.

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Many "LE" and "custom" pens I've seen have been tasteless bling. This, OTOH, is simply stunning. Way more $$ than I could afford, but definitely follows the William Morris dictate: "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful and or believe to be beautiful."

Congratulations on your acquisition, and kudos to the maker.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."