I Want A New Pen..i Just Don't Know Which

GMYoussef

Hello everyone,

So as my summer vacation is almost at a close, and my travels abroad are sadly coming to an end, I've realized that I have enough left over spending money in my budget for a new pen! 76 dollars, which may not seem like much to spend on a pen, but keep in mind that my small collection is limited to pens in the Lamy Safari range. I've decided to go from small price range, to medium sized (40-70 dollars) with my new purchase, but I'm not sure what to get, and was wondering if you all could help me out. Some things to keep in mind:

I'm a student, and would preferably like to tote this to school, so something sturdier would be preferable

I have rather big hands, so id like something that can be comfortably posted

A piston filler would be nice, but it's not necessary

I've been considering the TWSBI mini, but I thought it would be better to see if there are other pens out there that may be better. Thank you for the help!

Edited by GMYoussef

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GMYoussef

• The Blue Knight

• mAsTeRmInD-L

• canibanoglu

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to suggest the TWSBI pens but it looks like you have already considered them. Apart from the Mini, consider taking a look at the 580 and the Vac 700. As far as big hands go, Mini is unusable without posting and is designed to be posted. The other two wouldn't require posting but they post securely if you really wish to post them, but it throws off their balance slightly.

I was going to suggest the TWSBI pens but it looks like you have already considered them. Apart from the Mini, consider taking a look at the 580 and the Vac 700. As far as big hands go, Mini is unusable without posting and is designed to be posted. The other two wouldn't require posting but they post securely if you really wish to post them, but it throws off their balance slightly.

thanks for the reply! I've looked into the others, and the fact that the 580 is top heavy when posted kind of turned me off from it since I prefer to write with my pen posted (habit I suppose). I've also seem several reviews saying that the nibs are inconsistent on the 580, which I'd rather not risk at that price range. The Vac 700 seems nice, I like the filling mechanism, it may come down to a choice between that and the mini. On one side the vac is a bigger pen with a more interesting filling system, but on the other I do prefer the overall aesthetics of the mini.

NOS Pelikan M150/M100 or semi-vintage Pelikan M200 if you can find one under $70 on eBay.

Pelikan piston filling mechanism and Pelikan nib won't let you down. Pelikan M200 would be better if you want to try some speciality nibs in the furture.

Pilot Prera is also a workhorse. Converter and cartridge are convenient to get. It should cost you around $40. It's a little bit too light for my taste.

Parker 45 is a smooth writer with semi hooded nib. Although I don't quite like the filling system, it's still a nice pen. I see one member selling his P45 for $25 in classified section.

Hope this will help.

- L

Edited by mAsTeRmInD-L

NOS Pelikan M150/M100 or semi-vintage Pelikan M200 if you can find one under $70 on eBay.

Pelikan piston filling mechanism and Pelikan nib won't let you down. Pelikan M200 would be better if you want to try some speciality nibs in the furture.

Pilot Prera is also a workhorse. Converter and cartridge are convenient to get. It should cost you around $40. It's a little bit too light for my taste.

Parker 45 is a smooth writer with semi hooded nib. Although I don't quite like the filling system, it's still a nice pen. I see one member selling his P45 for $25 in classified section.

Hope this will help.

- L

Very good suggestions.

I've heard very good things about Faber Castell nibs perhaps a Basic/loom/ambition may also be a good choice.

Hope this will help.

- L

All the Pelikans I've managed to find have been sadly out of my range, though I may simply save up some more to go for them. The Parker 45 is something I hadn't thought about, and at about $20 I may just end up getting one as well as a twsbi!

Very good suggestions.

I've heard very good things about Faber Castell nibs perhaps a Basic/loom/ambition may also be a good choice.

I too have heard good things about their nibs, my one complaint is that I don't find their more affordable pens very attractive for what you're paying.

Check out Jetpens. They carry some pens that you can't find at other sites. I also think the Pilot Prera looks nice. I'm just waiting for TWSBI to release something.

Edited by legitimate3

If you have a mix of nail and regular flex from B to EF, it is time to buy a Geha 790 for € 20 with great luck more than likely €30-35 on German Ebay.

Just the 790 with three rings. It will be semi-flex. Best deal in the world.

Like this...only, three rings. The school pen is good, but not normally semi-flex. It has no rings.

Geha 790 Late '50s-59-65.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/B6FmHUwBWkKGrHqEOKiMEyVVGG6IBMwIK6RCg_12-1.jpg

The same shape at this rare '59 790 that cleaned up better than the picture I took from the buying. I always do that. Any pen I buy, I take the picture.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/img8413e.jpg

I have three 790's, which only (95%) comes in black and gold.

Do not buy this pen in the States. It is vastly over priced there. A Geha school pen, which goes from €12-19 goes for $85 when sold by German pirates.

A Geha 790, a very sturdy pen, designed to compete with the Pelikan 400's, can be had if lucky at @ 30-35.

Make sure they take Pay Pal and ship to the states.

It is the best deal for a top of the line, semi-flex pen. A Pelikan 140 now goes for €70-90. Then they were equal. But most don't know Geha.

When the Malaysian billionaire bought up Pelikan, the first thing he did was buy up the Geha pen division and close it down.

I don't chase the 70's Geha pens, in I don't know if the spade nibs of that era are semi-flex.

There are some rare colored or striped Geha 790...which are my buy now at 'any' price. Money came to visit....will now look. Is over your limit. Colored or striped 790's is over your limit.

The 760 also.

When you have more money the Geha 725 is a grand pen in semi-flex. Geha made it to match MB and stomped MB into a mud puddle. For later.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Himmel! (End of my german skills) I want one of these Gehas! Where can we get one?? Did a search on ebay.de and came up with nothing...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Check out some Indian pens: good for your budget, sturdy pens, and it's difficult to beat this deal:

And these two are also within your budget, and are piston fillers, too.

(No affiliation, just a satisfied customer). I don't have these particular ones, but I do have two Wality piston fillers and they are really great pens.

http://fountainpenrevolution.com/wpimages/wp2cbed3e3_06.png

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

All the Pelikans I've managed to find have been sadly out of my range, though I may simply save up some more to go for them. The Parker 45 is something I hadn't thought about, and at about $20 I may just end up getting one as well as a twsbi!

I've been watching a good deal of Pelikan M100 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390902719563?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This one seems fit your budget.

I haven't decided to buy it or not. I have a big collection of Pelikans, but I don't have M100 series. This one is a relatively rare NOS white M100. There are some reviews of Pelikan M100, you can check them out before making a decision.

There's one thing to be worthy of note, the nib size is Broad. As a recently graduated college student, I personally think B sized nib may be a little wet for note taking. But, it usually writes very smooth. Everything is a trade-off.

Hope this will help.

- L

You could do a lot worse than a Hero 200A. It's definitely sturdy with the stainless steel body and the thick "manifold" type nib. It's also slim and easy to carry everywhere.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/rvbga.avcnm/v/vspfiles/photos/Hero200AS-3.jpg?1371547712

Check out some Indian pens: good for your budget, sturdy pens, and it's difficult to beat this deal:

And these two are also within your budget, and are piston fillers, too.

(No affiliation, just a satisfied customer). I don't have these particular ones, but I do have two Wality piston fillers and they are really great pens.

http://fountainpenrevolution.com/wpimages/wp2cbed3e3_06.png

I've heard some great things about Indian pens! I'll definitely consider those.

I've been watching a good deal of Pelikan M100 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390902719563?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This one seems fit your budget.

I haven't decided to buy it or not. I have a big collection of Pelikans, but I don't have M100 series. This one is a relatively rare NOS white M100. There are some reviews of Pelikan M100, you can check them out before making a decision.

There's one thing to be worthy of note, the nib size is Broad. As a recently graduated college student, I personally think B sized nib may be a little wet for note taking. But, it usually writes very smooth. Everything is a trade-off.

Hope this will help.

- L

Wow, very generous of you to share your find! However you're right, broad is too wet and uneconomical for me right now, and it doesn't seem to suit my handwriting too well, some mediums even seem too big at times! Thanks for the suggestion though!

You could do a lot worse than a Hero 200A. It's definitely sturdy with the stainless steel body and the thick "manifold" type nib. It's also slim and easy to carry everywhere.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/rvbga.avcnm/v/vspfiles/photos/Hero200AS-3.jpg?1371547712

Nice looking pen, but do you know if they also come with steel nibs? The gold seems to look a bit out of place on the all stainless steel body.

Go vintage. You could get an Esterbrook with plenty of money left over.

I've been keeping my eye out for an esterbrook that will catch my attention and that I think is a good deal, and I've been thinking of simply getting one in poorer condition and resaccing it :)

That looks like a cross between a Diplomat Traveller and Parker Sonnet.